Design and Implementation of a Robust Decision Support System for Marine Space Resource Utilization
2.1. CSRU-DSS Architecture
2.2. Spatial Data Organization and Map Services
2.3. Automatic Coastal Numerical Programs and Numerical Services
- Step 1.
- The modeling layer acquires requisite calculated parameters from a new coastal project and a computational boundary, including spatial data and attributes. They are performed automatically according to actions on the customized webpage. The best fit background model (BM) is selected from a model bank containing a series of validated models and initial coastlines. The new coastal project is added and the computational domain is created.
- Step 2.
- The computational mesh is generated automatically. The mesh quality is improved by adding new nodes or adjusting the position of nodes in a poor grid after evaluation according to rules. Finally, the mesh met requirements of the numerical computational stability is obtained.
- Step 3.
- The relevant simulation data and parameters are extracted from the BM such as tidal level at the open boundary and water depth in the computational domain.
- Step 4.
- The project model is initiated and simulates the coastal conditions in multi-tidal cycles. The results of the numerical simulation are outputted automatically during the simulation.
- Step 5.
- Coastline and computational boundary data are re-read to create a new computational domain before project implementation. Steps 2 to 4 are repeated to output the calculated results before the project.
2.4. Assessment Modules and Decision-Aided Services
2.5. Integration of the CSRU-DSS
3. Case Study
3.1. Study Area and System Setup
3.2. Reclamation Scenario
3.3. Land-Based Outlet Scenario
4. Conclusions and Future Work
Conflicts of Interest
|CRSU||Coastal space resource utilization|
|CSRU-DSS||Coastal space resource utilization decision support system|
|GIS||Geographic Information System|
|ICZM||Integrated coastal zone management|
|JSP||Java Server Page|
- Wang, J.G.; Su, F.Z.; Zhou, C.H.; Yang, X.M.; Du, Y.Y.; Chen, X.F. On effects of coastal location and management policy on landuse changes in coastal zone: A case study of Golden Coastal Region in Changli County. Geogr. Res. 2005, 24, 520–526. [Google Scholar]
- Deboudt, P.; Dauvin, J.; Lozachmeur, O. Recent developments in coastal zone management in France: The transition towards integrated coastal zone management (1973–2007). Ocean Coast. Manag. 2008, 51, 212–228. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Wheeler, P.; Peterson, J. Exploring stakeholder views regarding spatial information and enabling technology use for ICZM: A case study from Victoria, Australia. Coast. Manag. 2010, 38, 1–21. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Prem, M. Action plan for the implementation of the ICZM protocol for the Mediterranean. In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on the Mediterranean Coastal Environment, Rhodes, Greece, 25–29 October 2011; pp. 81–91.
- Areizaga, J.; Sano, M.; Medina, R.; Juanes, J. A methodological approach to evaluate progress and public participation in ICZM: The case of the Cantabria Region, Spain. Ocean Coast. Manag. 2012, 59, 63–76. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Rochette, J.; Bille, R. ICZM protocols to regional seas conventions: What? Why? How? Mar. Policy 2012, 36, 977–984. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- UNEP. Stockholm declaration on the human environment. In Proceedings of the United Nations Conference on the Human Environment, Stockholm, Sweden, 5–16 June 1972.
- Giordano, L.; Alberico, I.; Ferraro, L.; Marsella, E.; Lirer, F.; Di Fiore, V. A new tool to promote sustainability of coastal zones. The case of Sele plain, southern Italy. Rend. Lincei-Sci. Fis. E Nat. 2013, 24, 113–126. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Alkan, R.M.; Seker, D.Z.; Demirel, H.; Kalkan, Y.; Kabdasli, S. Designing an information system for supporting Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM)—A case study. Fresenius Environ. Bull. 2006, 15, 829–834. [Google Scholar]
- Xiong, Y.Z.; Zhang, M.Y.; Xia, B.; Zhang, Z.D. Study on the construction of Guangdong coastal zone sustainable development decision support system. In Proceedings of the Geoinformatics 2008 and Joint Conference on GIS and Built Environment: Monitoring and Assessment of Natural Resources and Environments, Guangzhou, China, 28–29 June 2008.
- Rodríguez, I.; Montoya, I.; Sánchez, M.J.; Carreño, F. Geographic information systems applied to integrated coastal zone management. Geomorphology 2009, 107, 100–105. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Porter, D.E.; Small, T.; White, D.; Fletcher, M.; Norman, A.; Swain, D.; Friedmann, J. Data management in support of environmental monitoring, research, and coastal management. J. Coast. Res. 2004, 45, 9–16. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Du, Y.Y.; Wang, J.G.; Wang, Z.Y.; Yang, X.M. Construction and implementation of multisource spatial data management system of China’s coastal zone and offshore. Acta Oceanol. Sin. 2004, 23, 97–108. [Google Scholar]
- Barrerra, C.; Rueda, M.J.; Llinas, O.; Azevedo, E.B.; Gelodo, M.D. Real-time monitoring network in the Macaronesian region as a contribution to the Coastal Ocean Observations Panel (COOP). J. Oper. Oceanogr. 2008, 1, 59–69. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Copeland, G.; Thiam-Yew, W. Current data assimilation modelling for oil spill contingency planning. Environ. Model. Softw. 2006, 21, 142–155. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Yang, J. The Research on the Coastal Zone Disaster and the Prevention and Reduction System of the Disaster in Quanzhou; Southwest University: Chongqing, China, 2007. (In Chinese) [Google Scholar]
- Riolo, F. A geographic information system for fisheries management in American Samoa. Environ. Model. Softw. 2006, 21, 1025–1041. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Yan, Y.R.; Wang, F.; Guo, X.Y.; Feng, B.; Lu, H.S. Research and development of South China Sea fisheries information dynamic collection and realtime automatic analysis system based on GPS, GIS and RS integration. J. Fish. China 2014, 38, 748–758. (In Chinese) [Google Scholar]
- Su, F.; Du, Y.Y.; Pei, X.; Yang, X.M.; Zhou, C.H. Constructing digital sea of china with the datum of coastal line. Geo-Inf. Sci. 2006, 8, 12–15. (In Chinese) [Google Scholar]
- Zhu, Y.L. Design and Development of ChongMing Dongtan Coastal Ecosystem Managing Platform; East China Normal University: Shanghai, China, 2011. (In Chinese) [Google Scholar]
- Merrifield, M.S.; Mcclintock, W.; Burt, C.; Fox, E.; Serpa, P.; Steinback, C.; Gleason, M. MarineMap: A web-based platform for collaborative marine protected area planning. Ocean Coast. Manag. 2013, 74, 67–76. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Gourmelon, F.; Le Guyader, D.; Fontenelle, G. A dynamic GIS as an efficient tool for integrated coastal zone management. ISPRS Int. J. Geo-Inf. 2014, 3, 391–407. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Liang, S.X.; Xie, J.; Sun, Z.C.; Lu, Y.P.; Liu, G.S.; Xiong, W. Development of a regional coastal management decision-aided system. Part A: Establishment of an automatic numerical simulation program. Ocean Coast. Manag. 2014, 96, 173–180. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Sun, A.Y.; Miranda, R.M.; Xu, X. Development of multi-metamodels to support surface water quality management and decision making. Environ. Earth Sci. 2015, 73, 423–434. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
© 2016 by the authors; licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Xie, J.; Liang, S.; Sun, Z.; Chang, J.; Sun, J. Design and Implementation of a Robust Decision Support System for Marine Space Resource Utilization. ISPRS Int. J. Geo-Inf. 2016, 5, 140. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi5080140
Xie J, Liang S, Sun Z, Chang J, Sun J. Design and Implementation of a Robust Decision Support System for Marine Space Resource Utilization. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. 2016; 5(8):140. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi5080140Chicago/Turabian Style
Xie, Jing, Shuxiu Liang, Zhaochen Sun, Jiang Chang, and Jianwen Sun. 2016. "Design and Implementation of a Robust Decision Support System for Marine Space Resource Utilization" ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information 5, no. 8: 140. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi5080140