Next Article in Journal
Trypsin Inhibitor Assessment with Biochemical and Molecular Markers in a Soybean Germplasm Collection and Hybrid Populations for Seed Quality Improvement
Previous Article in Journal
Vegetal-Derived Biostimulant Enhances Adventitious Rooting in Cuttings of Basil, Tomato, and Chrysanthemum via Brassinosteroid-Mediated Processes
Article Menu
Issue 2 (February) cover image

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Agronomy 2019, 9(2), 75; https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy9020075

The Harmfulness of Phoma Stem Canker, Sclerotinia Stem Rot, and Phytoplasma on Winter Oilseed Rape with Regard to Czech Breeding Programs

1
Agritec Plant Research Ltd, Zemědělská 2520/16, 787 01 Šumperk, Czech Republic
2
OSEVA PRO Ltd., Research Institute of Oilseed Crops in Opava; OSEVA Development and Research Ltd., workplace Opava, Purkyňova 1653/10, 764 01 Opava, Czech Republic
3
SELGEN a.s., Kladruby 89, 503 51 Chlumec nad Cidlinou, Czech Republic
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Received: 30 January 2019 / Revised: 7 February 2019 / Accepted: 9 February 2019 / Published: 11 February 2019
Full-Text   |   PDF [833 KB, uploaded 27 February 2019]   |  

Abstract

New genotypes of winter oilseed rape bred under the Czech breeding program were subjected to performance tests within the framework of inter-institutional pre-tests. At four monitored localities in the Czech Republic, field trials were carried out on 50 genotypes in the years 2015 to 2017. In these trials, evaluations were made on infestation by the fungal pathogens Leptosphaeria maculans, Leptosphaeria biglobosa, and Sclerotinia sclerotiorum, as well as the level of infestation caused by phytoplasmas. The evaluation of new oilseed rape genotypes confirmed a medium to high level of resistance to phoma stem canker and Sclerotinia stem rot compared to the resistant reference varieties. The most severe infestations caused by Leptosphaeria spp. were observed in Chlumec nad Cidlinou in 2015 (mean severity score 22.38%) and in Opava in 2016 (mean severity score 20.72%). The same trend was observed for infestations caused by S. sclerotiorum, where the most damage to trial plots were observed at the same localities, in 2015 in Chlumec nad Cidlinou (mean severity score 36.85%) and in 2016 in Opava (mean severity score 18.84%). PCR determination of Leptosphaeria spp. showed that 98% of sampled leaves in autumn season showing symptoms were infected by L. maculans, while the remaining 2% were identified as bearing L. biglobosa. Molecular detection of infected parts of oilseed rape plants with symptoms of phyllody confirmed in all cases the presence of phytoplasma isolates from the 16SrI Aster Yellows group. View Full-Text
Keywords: Phoma stem canker; Sclerotinia stem rot; phytoplasma; winter oilseed rape; disease severity Phoma stem canker; Sclerotinia stem rot; phytoplasma; winter oilseed rape; disease severity
Figures

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited (CC BY 4.0).

Supplementary material

SciFeed

Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Poslušná, J.; Plachká, E.; Horáček, J.; Macháčková, I.; Ondráčková, E.; Šmirous, P., Jr.; Vrbovský, V. The Harmfulness of Phoma Stem Canker, Sclerotinia Stem Rot, and Phytoplasma on Winter Oilseed Rape with Regard to Czech Breeding Programs. Agronomy 2019, 9, 75.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Agronomy EISSN 2073-4395 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top