Uptake of Australia’s Health Star Rating System
2. Materials and Methods
2.1. Data Source
- The Australian FoodSwitch Monitoring Database comprises annually updated information sourced by trained data collectors through in-store surveys conducted annually at the same four supermarkets in metropolitan Sydney (one Coles, Woolworths, Aldi and IGA). Images of the food packaging are captured (front of pack, nutrient declaration, ingredients list, manufacturer details), using a bespoke smartphone application and then the data are extracted and the images stored. The database is designed specifically to facilitate longitudinal analysis of trends in the Australian packaged food supply. We used a Monitoring Database extract covering 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 to compare annual uptake of HSR labelling on pack since HSR program inception.
- The Australian FoodSwitch Full Database incorporates information about all products included in the Monitoring Database, together with additional product information either provided directly by the food industry or sourced through crowd-sourcing via the FoodSwitch smartphone application . We used a Full Database extract for the period 30 June 2014 to 30 June 2018 to estimate the total number of products that have carried a HSR at any point since the system’s introduction across the Australian food supply.
2.2. Food Labelling and Food Composition Data
2.3. Product Categorization and Eligibility for HSR
2.4. Calculation of the Health Star Rating
2.5. Statistical Analysis
3.1. HSR Uptake over Time
3.2. HSR Uptake by HSR Value
3.3. HSR Uptake by Category
3.4. Uptake by Manufacturer
Conflicts of Interest
|Aldi||Goodman Fielder Ltd.||PM Fresh Pty Ltd. **||Unilever Australia Pty Ltd.|
|Anchor Foods||Greencore Group plc **||Popina (Vic) Pty Ltd. **||Unistraw International Limited **|
|Andrews Meat Industries **||Green’s General Foods Pty Ltd.||Prolife Foods Ltd.||Vitality Brands Worldwide Pty Ltd.|
|Angeles Fine Foods Australia Pty Ltd.||Grove Fruit Juices Pty Ltd.||PureBred **||Vitasoy Australia Products Pty Ltd. **|
|Annex Foods Pty Ltd.||Harvest Box Pty Ltd. **||Quality Food World Pty Ltd.||Warrnambool Cheese & Butter Factory Company|
|Asahi Beverages||HealthFarm Fine Foods||Quinn Foods Pty Ltd.||Weight Watchers International Inc.|
|Associated British Foods *||Heinz Australia||Real Foods Pty Ltd. **||Woolworths **|
|Atkins Nutritionals Inc||IGA||Red Bull Australia Pty Ltd.||Yianni Yogurt **|
|Australian Eatwell Pty Ltd. *||Interlink Foods Ltd. **||Ricegrowers Ltd.||Yoodles Foods Pty Ltd. **|
|Australian Health & Nutrition Association **||INVO ANZ Pty Ltd. **||Rinoldi Pasta Pty Ltd.|
|Beanfields, PBC **||Kalfresh||Rivalea (Australia) Pty Ltd. **|
|Bertalli’s Bakery Pty Ltd.||Kellogg Australia Pty Ltd.||Rousche Group Pty Ltd. **|
|BH Fine Foods Pty Ltd.||Kez’s Kitchen||Safcol Australia Pty Ltd.|
|Body Science International Pty Ltd.||Life Health Food Ltd. **||Salad Fresh Pty Ltd.|
|Boost Fruit Juice Pty Ltd. **||Lindt & Sprungli Australia||Sargents Pty Ltd.|
|Campbell Arnott’s||Lion Pty Ltd.||Schweppes Australia Pty Ltd.|
|Carman’s Fine Foods Pty Ltd.||Macro Meats Pty Ltd.||Sealord Group Ltd.|
|Coca Cola Amatil Ltd. **||Manassen Foods Australia Pty Ltd.||Select Harvests Ltd.|
|Coco & Lucas’ ™ Kitchen Pty Ltd. **||Marlow Foods Limited **||Simmone Logue Fine Food Company|
|Coconut Collective Pty Ltd. **||Mars Australia||Simplot Australia (Holdings) Pty Ltd.|
|Coles Supermarkets Australia Pty Ltd. **||McCain Foods Aust Pty Ltd.||Slim Secrets|
|Dick Smith Foods Pty Ltd.||Modern Baking Australia Pty Ltd.||Smart Living Nutrition Pty Ltd. **|
|D’Lite Food Pty Ltd. **||Monde Nissin (Australia) Pty Ltd.||SPC Ardmona Operations Limited|
|Earth’s Bounty Fine Food Inc. **||Monster Muesli **||Stahmann Farms Enterprises Pty Ltd. **|
|Emma & Tom Foods Pty Ltd.||Mountain Bread Company||Sunpork Fresh Foods Pty Ltd. **|
|FAL Healthy Beverages Pty Ltd. **||Nestle Australia Ltd.||Sunraysia Natural Beverage Co *|
|Fine Fettle Foods||Newfresh Foods Pty Ltd. **||Suntory (Aust) Pty Ltd.|
|FODMAPPED Foods Pty Ltd. **||Norco Co-operative Limited **||Symington’s Australia Pty Ltd.|
|Food For Health Pty Ltd. **||Norfolk Foods Pty Ltd. **||Table of Plenty|
|Food Revolution Group Ltd. **||Pacific West Foods *||Tasti Products Ltd.|
|Freedom Foods Group Ltd.||Pangkarra Pty Ltd. **||Tegel Foods Ltd. **|
|Frucor Beverages Australia Pty Ltd.||Parilla Fresh **||The Chia Company|
|Fyna Foods Australia Pty Ltd.||Parmalat Australia Ltd.||The Happy Snack Company **|
|George Weston Foods Ltd.||Patties Foods||The Northern Co-operative Meat Company Ltd. **|
|Go Natural||Perfection Fresh Australia Pty Ltd. **||The Yoghurt Co Pty Ltd.|
|Goodman Fielder Ltd.||Picasso Foods **||Think Products **|
|Greencore Group plc **||Picot Productions Ltd. **||Thirsty Brothers Pty Ltd. **|
- ‘Best Buys’ and Other Recommended Interventions for the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases. Available online: http://www.who.int/ncds/management/WHO_Appendix_BestBuys.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Report of the Commission on Ending Childhood Obesity: Implementation Plan: Executive Summary. Available online: http://www.who.int/end-childhood-obesity/publications/echo-plan-executive-summary/en/ (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Volkova, E.; Mhurchu, C.N. The influence of nutrition labeling and point-of-purchase information on food behaviours. Curr. Obes. Rep. 2015, 4, 19–29. [Google Scholar] [PubMed]
- Vyth, E.L.; Steenhuis, I.H.; Roodenburg, A.J.; Brug, J.; Seidell, J.C. Front-of-pack nutrition label stimulates healthier product development: A quantitative analysis. Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. Act. 2010, 7, 65. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed][Green Version]
- Mhurchu, C.N.; Eyles, H.; Choi, Y.H. Effects of a voluntary front-of-pack nutrition labelling system on packaged food reformulation: The health star rating system in New Zealand. Nutrients 2017, 9, 918. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- World Health Organization. Nutrient Profiling. Available online: http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/profiling/en/ (accessed on 1 February 2017).
- Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code-Standard 1.2.7-Nutrition, Health and Related Claims. Available online: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017C01048 (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Front-of-Pack Labelling (FoPL) Project Committee Meeting—11 May 2012. Available online: http://foodregulation.gov.au/internet/fr/publishing.nsf/Content/frontofpackcommittee (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Department of Health, The Health Star Rating System. Available online: http://healthstarrating.gov.au/internet/healthstarrating/publishing.nsf/content/home (accessed on 27 July 2017).
- Australia and New Zealand Food Regulation Secretariat. Front-of-Pack Labelling Committee and Working Group Meetings. Available online: http://foodregulation.gov.au/internet/fr/publishing.nsf/Content/frontofpackcommittee (accessed on 4 July 2018).
- Arambepola, C.; Scarborough, P.; Rayner, M. Validating a nutrient profile model. Public Health Nutr. 2008, 11, 371–378. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Julia, C.; Ducrot, P.; Lassale, C.; Fézeu, L.; Méjean, C.; Péneau, S.; Touvier, M.; Hercberg, S.; Kesse-Guyot, E. Prospective associations between a dietary index based on the British food standard agency nutrient profiling system and 13-year weight gain in the SU. VI. MAX cohort. Prev. Med. 2015, 81, 189–194. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Jones, A.; Rådholm, K.; Neal, B. Defining ‘unhealthy’: A systematic analysis of alignment between the australian dietary guidelines and the health star rating system. Nutrients 2018, 10, 501. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Dunford, E.; Cobcroft, M.; Thomas, M.; Wu, J. Technical Report: Alignment of the NSW Healthy Food Provision Policy with the Health Star Rating System; NSW Ministry of Health: Sydney, Australia, 2015. [Google Scholar]
- Wellard, L.; Hughes, C.; Watson, W.L. Investigating nutrient profiling and health star ratings on core dairy products in Australia. Public Health Nutr. 2016, 19, 2860–2865. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Health Star Rating Advisory Committee (HSRAC), Department of Health. Guide for Industry to the Health Star Rating Calculator. Available online: http://healthstarrating.gov.au/internet/healthstarrating/publishing.nsf/content/guide-for-industry-document (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Health Star Rating Advisory Committee (HSRAC). Health Star Rating System Style Guide. Available online: http://healthstarrating.gov.au/internet/healthstarrating/publishing.nsf/Content/style-guide (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Report on the Monitoring of the Implementation of the Health Star Rating System in the First Two Years of Implementation: June 2014 to June 2016. Available online: http://healthstarrating.gov.au/internet/healthstarrating/publishing.nsf/content/673FC1FC9C6446C3CA2581BD00777FE8/$File/Health-Star-Rating-Year-2-Final-Report.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Lawrence, M.; Dickie, S.; Woods, J. Do nutrient-based front-of-pack labelling schemes support or undermine food-based dietary guideline recommendations? Lessons from the Australian Health Star Rating System. Nutrients 2018, 10, 32. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Department of Health. Senator the Hon Fiona Nash Assistant Minister for Health. Available online: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/ministers/publishing.nsf/Content/DDBDCCDC492F7243CA257D04001EEE4E/$File/FN032.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Ministerial Forum on Food Regulation. Australia and New Zealand Ministerial Forum on Food Regulation—20 November 2015. Available online: http://foodregulation.gov.au/internet/fr/publishing.nsf/Content/993745AE1B4B82A3CA257F4B007D76E6/$File/Final%20Communique%2020%20Nov%202015.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Dunford, E.; Trevena, H.; Goodsell, C.; Ng, K.H.; Webster, J.; Millis, A.; Goldstein, S.; Hugueniot, O.; Neal, B. Foodswitch: A mobile phone app to enable consumers to make healthier food choices and crowdsourcing of national food composition data. JMIR MHealth UHealth 2014, 2, e37. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Dunford, E.; Webster, J.; Metzler, A.B.; Czernichow, S.; Mhurchu, C.N.; Wolmarans, P.; Snowdon, W.; L’Abbe, M.; Li, N.; Maulik, P.K. International collaborative project to compare and monitor the nutritional composition of processed foods. Eur. J. Prev. Cardiol. 2012, 19, 1326–1332. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code-Standard 1.2.8-Nutrition Information Requirements. Available online: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017C00311 (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Report on the Monitoring of the Implementation of the Health Star Rating System: Key Findings for AOE1-Assessment of the Health Star Rating (HSR) Displayed on Pack Using the HSR Calculator—June 2016 to June 2017. Available online: http://healthstarrating.gov.au/internet/healthstarrating/publishing.nsf/content/474CBBEC911CFF01CA25803A007E7B2B/$File/HSR%20-%20Assessment%20Report%20for%20Calculated%20HSR%20Year%203.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Australia and New Zealand Ministerial Forum on Food Regulation, Communique—29 June 2018. Available online: http://foodregulation.gov.au/internet/fr/publishing.nsf/Content/forum-communique-2018-June (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Food Packaging ‘Traffic Lights’ to Signal Healthy Choices on Salt, Fat and Sugar. Available online: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jun/19/traffic-light-health-labels-food (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Australian Food and Grocery Council, Submission to Senate Select Committee Inquiry into the Obesity Epidemic. Available online: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiBpbu0jMHcAhVYWisKHVwoBNkQFjAAegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aph.gov.au%2FDocumentStore.ashx%3Fid%3Db1d3913e-fe60-4faa-bdf9-c1d92a936ffd%26subId%3D612934&usg=AOvVaw0xJItIzkMauE8X1KfBiZkN (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Neal, B.; Crino, M.; Dunford, E.; Gao, A.; Greenland, R.; Li, N.; Ngai, J.; Ni Mhurchu, C.; Pettigrew, S.; Sacks, G.; et al. Effects of different types of front-of-pack labelling information on the healthiness of food purchases—A randomised controlled trial. Nutrients 2017, 9, 1284. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Pettigrew, S.; Talati, Z.; Miller, C.; Dixon, H.; Kelly, B.; Ball, K. The types and aspects of front-of-pack food labelling schemes preferred by adults and children. Appetite 2017, 109, 115–123. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Talati, Z.; Norman, R.; Pettigrew, S.; Neal, B.; Kelly, B.; Dixon, H.; Ball, K.; Miller, C.; Shilton, T. The impact of interpretive and reductive front-of-pack labels on food choice and willingness to pay. Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. Act. 2017, 14, 171. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Best Practice Guide: Daily Intake Style Guide. Available online: https://www.afgc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/AFGC-Best-Practice-Guide-DIG-Style-Guide-June-2016-1.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Australian Government Department of Industry Innovation and Science. Country of Origin Food Labelling. Available online: https://www.business.gov.au/info/run/goods-and-services/selling-goods-and-services/selling-goods/country-of-origin-food-labelling (accessed on 9 July 2018).
- Pollinate Research, Health Star Rating System: Consumer Use and Understanding. Available online: http://healthstarrating.gov.au/internet/healthstarrating/publishing.nsf/content/474CBBEC911CFF01CA25803A007E7B2B/$File/HSR-Consumer-Use-and-Understanding-Benchmark-report.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Australian Health Survey: Nutrition First Results—Foods and Nutrients, 2011–2012. Available online: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/lookup/4364.0.55.007main+features12011-12 (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Australia and New Zealand Ministerial Forum on Food Regulation—Communique of Meeting 27 June 2014. Available online: http://foodregulation.gov.au/internet/fr/publishing.nsf/Content/forum-communique-2014-June (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Australian Beverages Council, Front of Pack Labelling-Health Star Rating Scheme Guidelines for Beverages. Available online: http://australianbeverages.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Beverages-Council-FOPL-HSR-Guidelines.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Annual Report—Australian Beverages. Available online: https://www.smh.com.au/cqstatic/gz7s0g/annualreport.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Five Year Review of the Health Star Rating System—Navigation Paper. Available online: http://www.mpconsulting.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/HSR-system-Five-Year-Review-Navigation-Paper.pdf (accessed on 27 July 2018).
- Consultation on the UK Nutrient Profiling Model 2018 Review. Available online: https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/consultation-on-the-uk-nutrient-profiling-model-2018-review (accessed on 27 July 2018).
|Category||Products Surveyed||Displaying HSR/Eligible to Display HSR||Displaying HSR||Mean HSR|
|N||n/N||%||HSR Logo on Pack||No HSR/Energy Icon Only|
|Bread and bakery products||1922||472/1765||26.7||2.3||2.2|
|Cereal and grain products||1771||634/1728||36.7||4.0||3.4|
|Edible oils and oil emulsions||351||63/346||18.2||3.0||2.5|
|Fish and fish products||604||171/596||28.7||3.8||3.5|
|Fruit and vegetables||2839||613/1707||35.9||4.1||3.5|
|Meat and meat products||1286||291/997||29.2||3.1||2.4|
|Sauces, dressings, spreads and dips||1810||249/1756||14.2||3.3||2.5|
|Sugars, honey and related products||309||39/283||13.8||1.0||1.3|
|Special foods (fitness and diet products)||648||56/286||19.6||4.4||3.5|
|Manufacturer||Products Surveyed||Displaying HSR/Eligible to Display HSR||Displaying HSR||Mean HSR|
|N||n/N||%||HSR Logo on Pack||No HSR/Energy Icon Only|
|Coles Supermarkets Australia Pty Ltd.||1873||1246/1450||85.9||3.0||3.0|
|Australian Health & Nutrition Association||115||96/115||83.5||4.2||3.7|
|Coca Cola Amatil Ltd.||195||130/171||76.0||3.5||2.1|
|Simplot Australia (Holdings) Pty Ltd.||415||280/415||67.5||4.0||3.5|
|Nestle Australia Ltd.||412||218/330||66.1||4.0||1.5|
|Unilever Australia Pty Ltd.||289||99/245||40.4||3.3||1.9|
|Lion Pty Ltd.||380||97/266||36.5||4.2||2.8|
|George Weston Foods Ltd.||155||40/155||25.8||3.9||2.4|
|Schweppes Australia Pty Ltd.||141||26/139||18.7||NA||1.9|
|McCain Foods Aust Pty Ltd.||110||14/110||12.7||3.8||3.0|
|Parmalat Australia Ltd.||164||9/155||5.8||4.1||3.3|
|Monde Nissin (Australia) Pty Ltd.||229||13/228||5.7||3.5||3.2|
|Goodman Fielder Ltd.||207||5/191||2.6||4.4||2.6|
|Manassen Foods Australia Pty Ltd.||201||4/186||2.2||3.9||3.0|
|Mondelez Australia Pty Ltd.||304||0/304||0.0||NA||1.3|
|San Remo Macaroni Company Pty Ltd.||167||0/167||0.0||NA||3.2|
|Oriental Merchant Pty Ltd.||155||0/155||0.0||NA||2.0|
|General Mills Australia||129||0/129||0.0||NA||2.9|
|All other manufacturers (<100 products)||13,851||736/7359||10.0||4.0||2.7|
© 2018 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Jones, A.; Shahid, M.; Neal, B. Uptake of Australia’s Health Star Rating System. Nutrients 2018, 10, 997. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10080997
Jones A, Shahid M, Neal B. Uptake of Australia’s Health Star Rating System. Nutrients. 2018; 10(8):997. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10080997Chicago/Turabian Style
Jones, Alexandra, Maria Shahid, and Bruce Neal. 2018. "Uptake of Australia’s Health Star Rating System" Nutrients 10, no. 8: 997. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10080997