Understanding the Concept of Neighbourhood in Kigali City, Rwanda
2. Theoretical Perspectives on the Concept of Neighbourhood
2.1. Defining Neighbourhood
2.2. Defining Neighbourhood Boundary
2.3. Neighbourhood Typologies
3. Study Area and Methodology
3.1. Contextualising Kigali City
3.1.1. Process of Urbanisation
3.1.2. Land Use in Kigali City
3.1.3. Urban Development Policies in Rwanda
3.2.1. Study Approach
3.2.2. Data Collection
Field-Based Observations and Notes
3.2.3. Data Analysis
Thematic Analysis (TA) Approach
4.1. The Perception of a Neighbourhood by Study Participants
4.1.1. Conceptualising Neighbourhoods in Kigali City
4.1.2. Defining Neighbourhood Boundaries in Kigali: Perceived and Physical Boundaries
4.1.3. Neighbourhood Typologies in Kigali
4.2. Comprehensive Observations of Neighbourhood Typologies in Kigali City
4.2.1. Planned Neighbourhood
4.2.2. Unplanned/Informal Neighbourhood
4.2.3. Mixed Neighbourhood
Linking Theory to Practice: Placing Kigali Neighbourhoods in Context
Conflicts of Interest
|Q1: What is your understanding when we talk of neighbourhood as a spatial unit?|
|Q2: From your explanation, what are the neighbourhood typologies in Kigali?|
|Q3: How do you define the boundaries of these neighbourhoods in practice?|
- UNDESA. 68% of the World Population Projected to Live in Urban Areas by 2050, Says UN. Available online: https://www.un.org/development/desa/en/news/population/2018-revision-of-world-urbanization-prospects.html (accessed on 3 February 2019).
- World Urbanization Prospects; The 2014 Revision; United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs/Population Division: New York, NY, USA, 2014.
- Ravallion, M.; Chen, S.; Sangraula, P. New Evidence on the Urbanization of Global Poverty. Popul. Dev. Rev. 2007, 33, 667–701. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Bryceson, F.; Gough, V.; Rigg, J.; Agergaard, J. Critical commentary: The World Development Report 2009. Urban Stud. 2009, 4, 723–738. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Urban Development. Available online: http://www.worldbank.org/en/topic/urbandevelopment/overview (accessed on 23 April 2019).
- García-Ayllón, S. Rapid development as a factor of imbalance in urban growth of cities in Latin America: A perspective based on territorial indicators. Habitat Int. 2016, 58, 127–142. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Huchzermeyer, M. Cities with Slums: From Informal Settlement Eradication to a Right to the City in Africa; Juta Academic: New York, NY, USA, 2011. [Google Scholar]
- Benken, E.E. Nowhere to Go: Informal Settlement Eradication in Kigali, Rwanda; Senior Honors, University of Louisville: Louisville, KY, USA, 2017. [Google Scholar]
- Potts, D. Urban Livelihoods and Urbanization Trends in Africa: Winners and Losers?’ King’s College London, EPD Occasional Paper Series. 2013. Available online: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/sspp/departments/geography/research/epd/workingpapers.aspx (accessed on 11 October 2018).
- Grant, R. Globalizing City. The Urban and Economic Transformation of Accra, Ghana; Syracuse University Press: Syracuse, NY, USA, 2009. [Google Scholar]
- Murray, M. City of Extremes. The Spatial Politics of Johannesburg. Durham; Duke University Press: Durham, NC, USA, 2011. [Google Scholar]
- Manirakiza, V. La Problématique de L’urbanisation Spontanée Face à la Modernisation de la Ville de Kigali (Rwanda). Ph.D. Thesis, Universitaires de Louvain, Leuven, Belgium, 2015. [Google Scholar]
- Informal Settlements Choking Kigali City. Available online: https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/rwanda/News/Informal-settlements-choking-Kigali-city/1433218-3367628-wjnifiz/index.html (accessed on 15 March 2019).
- Wakhungu, J.; Huggins, C.; Nyukuri, E.; Lumumba, J. Approaches to Informal Urban Settlements in Africa: Experiences from Kigali and Nairobi; Policy Brief; ACTS: Nairobi, Kenya, 2010. [Google Scholar]
- Rwanda Civil Society Platform. Analysis of Land Expropriation and Transfer Process in Rwanda. Final Report; Rwanda Civil Society Platform: Kigali, Rwanda, 2017. [Google Scholar]
- Government of Rwanda. National Housing Policy; Government of Rwanda: Kigali, Rwanda, 2015. Available online: www.rha.gov.rw/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/.../National_Housing_Policy.pdf (accessed on 7 July 2018).
- Manirakiza, V. Promoting inclusive approaches to address urbanisation challenges in Kigali. Rev. Econ. Fin. 2014, 6, 161–180. [Google Scholar]
- Goodfellow, T. Rwanda’s political settlement and the urban transition: Expropriation, construction and taxation in Kigali. J. East. Afr. Stud. 2014, 8, 311–329. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Baffoe, G. Understanding the Neighbourhood Concept and its Evolution. Env. Urbaniz Asia 2018, 10, 393–402. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Olowoporoku, O.; Salami, A.; Akintifonbo, O. Assessment of Residents’ Neighbourhood Confidence in an African Traditional City: The Abeokuta Experience. Econ. Environ. Stud. 2017, 17, 757–775. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Park, Y.; Rogers, G.O. Neighborhood Planning Theory, Guidelines, and Research: Can Area, Population, and Boundary Guide Conceptual Framing? J. Plan. Lit. 2015, 30, 18–36. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Bjarnesen, J. The ambivalence of neighbourhood in urban Burkina Faso. Anthro. S. Afr. 2015, 38, 331–343. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Holland, S.; Burgess, S.; Grogan-Kaylor, A.; Delva, J. Understanding neighbourhoods, communities and environments: New approaches for social work research. Br. J. Soc. Work 2010, 41, 689–707. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Kallus, R.; Law-Yon, H. What is a neighbourhood? The structure and function of an idea. Environ. Plan. B 2010, 27, 815–826. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Geyer, H.S., Jr. Evaluating Ecological, Subcultural and Political Approaches to Neighbourhood Change and Neighbourhood Poverty. Hous. Theory Soc. 2018, 36, 189–205. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Martin, D.G. Enacting neighbourhood. Urban Geog. 2003, 24, 361–385. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Bonds, A.; Kenny, J.T.; Wolfe, R.N. Neighbourhood revitalization without the local: Race, non-profit governance, and community development. Urban Geog. 2015, 36, 1064–1082. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Anderson, E. Streetwise: Race, Class, and Change in an Urban Community; University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL, USA, 1990. [Google Scholar]
- Lee, B.A.; Campbell, K.E. Common ground? Urban neighbourhoods as survey respondents see them. Soc. Sci. Q. 1997, 78, 922–936. [Google Scholar]
- Getis, A. Analytically derived neighbourhoods in a rapidly growing West African city: The case of Accra, Ghana. Habitat Int. 2015, 45, 126–134. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Haeberle, S.H. People or place: Variations in community leaders’subjective definitions of neighbourhood. Urban Aff. Q. 1988, 23, 616–634. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kearns, A.; Parkinson, M. The Significance of neighbourhood. Urban Stud. 2001, 38, 2103–2110. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Galster, G.C. What is neighbourhood? An externality-space approach. Int. J. Urban Reg. Res. 1986, 10, 243–263. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hopkins, E. Understanding the Different Types of Low-Income Neighborhoods. Community Invest. 2016, 22, 13–36. [Google Scholar]
- Jackson-Smith, D.B.; Stoker, P.A.; Buchert, M.; Endter-Wada, J.; Licon, C.V.; Cannon, M.S.; Li, S.; Bjerregaard, Z.; Bell, L. Differentiating Urban Forms: A Neighborhood Typology for Understanding Urban Water Systems. Cities Environ. (CATE) 2016, 9, 5. [Google Scholar]
- Rwanda Environment Management Authority (REMA). State of Environment and Outlook Report; Rwanda Environment Management Authority: Kigali, Rwanda, 2013; 40p. Available online: http://wedocs.unep.org/handle/20.500.11822/9069 (accessed on 7 July 2018).
- Uwayezu, E.; de Vries, W.T. Expropriation of Real Property in Kigali City: Scoping the Patterns of Spatial Justice. Land 2019, 8, 23. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR). Rwanda 4th Population and Housing Census; National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda: Kigali, Rwanda, 2012.
- Twarabamenye, E.; Mukashema, A. Long-run Trend of Cities’ Informal Housing: A Solution for the Majority of Kigali Urban Dwellers and a Challenge to Urban Development in Rwanda. J. Environ. Manag. 2012, 3, 35–56. [Google Scholar]
- Shortage of Low-Cost Housing to Continue Biting in Kigali. Available online: https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/rwanda/Business/Shortage-of-low-cost-housing-to-continue-biting-in-Kigali/1433224-2607494-o9vxhjz/index.html (accessed on 24 March 2019).
- Nduwayezu, G. Modeling Urban Growth in Kigali City. Rwanda J. 2015, 1. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- SURBANA. Kigali City Sub-Areas Planning Detailed Master Plan Report for Nyarugenge District; Surbana International: Singapore, 2013. [Google Scholar]
- Urban Development: Urban Policies for an Increasingly Urban World. Available online: http://www.oecd.org/governance/regional-policy/urbandevelopment.htm (accessed on 6 April 2019).
- MINECOFIN. Ministry Finance and Economic Planning; Rwanda Vision 2020; MINECOFIN: Kigali, Rwanda, 2000.
- MININFRA. Update Version of the National Human Settlement Policy in Rwanda, Ministry of Infrastructure; MININFRA: Kigali, Rwanda, 2009.
- MININFRA. National Urban Housing Policy for Rwanda; Ministry of Infrastructure: Kigali, Rwanda, 2008.
- MINECOFIN. EDPRS Rwanda; MINECOFIN: Kigali, Rwanda, 2007.
- MINITERE. Rwanda Land Policy; MINITERE: Kigali, Rwanda, 2004.
- Denzin, N.; Ryan, K. Qualitative Methodology (including focus groups). In The SAGE Handbook of Social Science Methodology; Outhwaite, W., Turner, S.P., Eds.; Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 2007; pp. 578–594. [Google Scholar]
- Creswell, J.W. Research Design: Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches, 3rd ed.; Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 2009. [Google Scholar]
- Silverman, D. Doing Qualitative Research, 5th ed.; SAGE Publications Ltd.: London, UK, 2017. [Google Scholar]
- Patton, M.Q. Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods, 3rd ed.; Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 2009. [Google Scholar]
- Creswell, J.W. Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing among Five Approaches, 3rd ed.; SAGE: Los Angeles, CA, USA; London, UK, 2013. [Google Scholar]
- Phillippi, J.; Lauderdale, J. A Guide to Field Notes for Qualitative Research: Context and Conversation. Qual. Health Res. 2018, 28, 381–388. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Braun, V.; Clarke, V. Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qual. Res. Psychol. 2006, 3, 77–101. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Kuper, A.; Reeves, S.; Levinson, W. An introduction to reading and appraising qualitative research. BMJ 2008, 337, 404–407. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Miles, B.; Huberman, A.; Saldana, J. Qualitative Data Analysis, 3rd ed.; Sage: Thousand Oaks, CA, USA, 2014. [Google Scholar]
- Castleberry, A.; Nolen, A. Thematic analysis of qualitative research data: Is it as easy as it sounds? Curr. Pharm. Teach. Learn 2018, 10, 807–815. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Yin, R.K. Qualitative Research from Start to Finish; The Guilford Press: New York, NY, USA, 2011. [Google Scholar]
- SURBANA. Detailed District Physical Plans for Kicukiro and Gasabo Kigali, Rwanda: Vision Report; Draft: May 2012a; Surbana International: Singapore, 2012. [Google Scholar]
- Dorier-Apprill, E. Vocabulaire de la Ville; Editions du Temps; Notion et Références: Paris, France, 2001. [Google Scholar]
- World Bank. Review and Update of the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Safeguard Policies: Environmental and Social Framework; World Bank Group: Washington, DC, USA, 2013. [Google Scholar]
- Godana, W.; Mengiste, B. Environmental factors associated with acute diarrhoea among children under five years of age in Derashe district, Southern Ethiopia. Sci. J. Pub Health 2013, 1, 119–124. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Lubaale, G.N.; Musyoki, S.M. Pro-Poor Sanitation and Hygiene in East Africa: Turning Challenges to Opportunities; Paper Presented at the East Africa Practitioners Workshop on Pro-poor Urban Sanitation and Hygiene; LAICO Umubano Hotel: Kigali, Rwanda, 2011. [Google Scholar]
- Todes, A. Urban growth and strategic spatial planning in Johannesburg, South Africa. Cities 2012, 29, 158–165. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Faking it: The Rwandan GDP Growth Myth. Review of African Political Economy. Available online: http://roape.net/2017/07/26/faking-rwandan-gdp-growth-myth/ (accessed on 23 February 2019).
- Nagdeve, D.A. Environment and Health in India; Paper Presented at the IUSSP Regional Population Conference on ‘Southeast Asia’s Population in a Changing Asian Context; World Bank: Bangkok, Thailand, 2002. [Google Scholar]
- UN-Habitat. Cities and Climate Change: Global Report on Human Settlements; United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat): Nairobi, Kenya, 2011; ISBN 978-1-84971-371-9. [Google Scholar]
- Baffoe, G.; Mutisya, E. Social Sustainability: A Review of Indicators and Empirical Application. Env. Manag. Sust. Dev. 2015, 4, 242–262. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Shimamura, Y.; Yang, J.; Baffoe, G.; Dodo, J.; Mwakesi, I.; Matsuda, H.; Kiemo, K.; Mutune, J.; Mutisya, E.; Mungai, D.; et al. Rethinking the Kibera ‘Slum’: The role of social networks as a mechanism for coping with the increased demand for job opportunities. J. Econ. Sustain. Dev. 2017, 8, 157–169. [Google Scholar]
|Participants Type||Number Interviewed|
© 2020 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Baffoe, G.; Malonza, J.; Manirakiza, V.; Mugabe, L. Understanding the Concept of Neighbourhood in Kigali City, Rwanda. Sustainability 2020, 12, 1555. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12041555
Baffoe G, Malonza J, Manirakiza V, Mugabe L. Understanding the Concept of Neighbourhood in Kigali City, Rwanda. Sustainability. 2020; 12(4):1555. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12041555Chicago/Turabian Style
Baffoe, Gideon, Josephine Malonza, Vincent Manirakiza, and Leon Mugabe. 2020. "Understanding the Concept of Neighbourhood in Kigali City, Rwanda" Sustainability 12, no. 4: 1555. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12041555