2. Overview of Academic Standards
2.1. UK Scenario
2.2. Sri Lanka Scenario
- Sri Lanka Qualification Framework.
- Subject Benchmarking.
- Codes of Practice.
- External Quality Assurance.
- Internal Quality Assurance.
2.3. China Scenario
2.4. New Zealand Scenario
2.5. Australia Scenario
3. Assessment of Learning Outcomes and Assessment Regulations/Grading
4. Internal Quality Assurance
4.1. Internal Moderation
- Online learning.
- International coordination and collaboration.
- Strong university leadership.
- Proactive, preventative measures.
- Flexibility for assessment deadlines and exams.
- Stricter sanitation initiatives.
- Clear communication from university leadership and administrators.
4.2. External Quality Assurance
5. Academic Integrity
5.1. How to Uphold Academic Integrity in Online Delivery: Course/Lab/Assessment Design
5.2. Use of Technology: Plagiarism Checker, Virtual Invigilation
Conflicts of Interest
- Anderson, D.; Johnson, R.; Milligan, B. Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Australian Higher Education: An Assessment of Australian and International Practice, 1st ed.; AusInfo: Canberra, Australia, 2000. [Google Scholar]
- Thompson-Whiteside, S. Assessing academic standards in Australian higher education. In Tertiary Education Policy in Australia, 1st ed.; Marginson, S., Ed.; Centre for the Study of Higher Education, University of Melbourne: Melbourne, Australia, 2013; Chapter 5; pp. 39–48. [Google Scholar]
- Wang, L. Quality assurance in higher education in China: Control, accountability and freedom. Policy Soc. 2014, 33, 253–262. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Ellis, R. Quality assurance for university teaching: Issues and approaches. In Quality Assurance for University Teaching, 1st ed.; Ellis, R., Ed.; Taylor & Francis: Bristol, UK; pp. 3–15.
- Ellis, R. Quality assurance for university teaching. In Handbook of Quality Assurance for University Teaching, 1st ed.; Ellis, R., Hogard, E., Eds.; Taylor & Francis: London, UK; pp. 3–18.
- Bejan, S.A.; Janatuinen, T.; Jurvelin, J.; Klöpping, S.; Malinen, H.; Minke, B.; Vacareanu, R. Quality assurance and its impact from higher education institutions’ perspectives: Methodological approaches, experiences and expectations. Qual. High. Educ. 2015, 21, 343–371. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kis, V. Quality Assurance in Tertiary Education: Current Practices in OECD Countries and a Literature Review on Potential Effects. OECD (2005), Thematic Review of Tertiary Education. Available online: http://www.oecd.org/education/skills-beyond-school/38006910.pdf (accessed on 25 September 2020).
- Coomaraswamy, U.; Jayatilleke, G.; Abeygunawardena, H. Manual for Quality Assurance of External Degree Programmes and Extension Courses Offered by Universities, 1st ed.; University Grants Commission: Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2014; Chapter 4; pp. 57–70. [Google Scholar]
- Warnasuriya, N.; Coomaraswamy, U.; de Silva, N.; Nandadeva, B.D.; Abeygunawardena, H. Higher education for the twenty first century (HETC) project ministry of higher education and research. In Manual for Institutional Review of Sri Lankan Universities and Higher Education Institutions, 1st ed.; Sri Lanka & University Grants Commission: Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2015; Chapter 2; pp. 21–27. [Google Scholar]
- Shuiyun, L. External Higher Education Quality Assurance System in China, Chinese Education & Society. Chin. Educ. Soc. 2016, 49, 1–6. [Google Scholar]
- Quality Assurance Agency (QAA). The Revised UK Quality Code for Higher Education; UK Standing Committee for Quality Assessment: Gloucester, UK, 2018. [Google Scholar]
- Shah, M.; Nair, S.; Wilson, M. Quality assurance in Australian higher education: Historical and future development. Asia Pac. Educ. Rev. 2011, 12, 475–483. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- World Health Organization. WHO Director-General’s Opening Remarks at the Media Briefing on COVID-19—11 March 2020. Available online: https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/detail/who-director-general-s-opening-remarks-at-the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---11-march-2020 (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- UNESCO. Education: From Disruption to Recovery. Available online: https://en.unesco.org/covid19/educationresponse (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- QS Quacquarelli Symonds. How COVID-19 is Impacting Prospective International Students across the Globe. Available online: https://www.qs.com/portfolio-items/how-covid-19-is-impacting-prospective-international-students-across-the-globe/ (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- QS Quacquarelli Symonds. The Impact of the Coronavirus on Global Higher Education. Available online: https://www.qs.com/portfolio-items/the-impact-of-the-coronavirus-on-global-higher-education/ (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- Filippakou, O.; Tapper, T. Quality Assurance in Higher Education: Thinking beyond the English Experience. High. Educ. Policy 2007, 20, 339–360. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Asian Development Bank. Innovative Strategies for Accelerated Human Resource Development in South Asia, 1st ed.; Asian Development Bank: Mandaluyong City, Philippines, 2016; pp. 27–53. [Google Scholar]
- Brown, J.; Kurzweil, M.; Pritchett, W. Quality Assurance in U.S. Higher Education—The Current Landscape and Principles for Reform, 1st ed.; Ithaka: New York City, NY, USA, 2017; pp. 23–26. [Google Scholar]
- Mikol, M. Quality Assurance in Australian Higher Education: A Case Study of the University of Western Sydney (Nepean); University of Western Sydney: Sydney, Australia, 1996. [Google Scholar]
- Eurboonyanun, C.; Wittayapairoch, J.; Aphinives, P.; Petrusa, E.; Gee, D.W.; Phitayakorn, R. Adaptation to Open-Book Online Examination during the COVID-19 Pandemic. J. Surg. Educ. 2020, in press. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. ‘No Detriment’ Policies: An Overview. 2020. Available online: https://www.qaa.ac.uk/docs/qaa/guidance/no-detriment-policies-an-overview.pdf (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- University College Dublin. Guidance for Designing Alternative Assessment Methods: COVID 19 Contingency Planning. 2020. Available online: https://www.ucd.ie/teaching/t4media/alternative_assessment_methods.pdf (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- T&L National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. Available online: https://www.teachingandlearning.ie/wp-content/uploads/Assessment-methods-resource-for-publication-final.pdf (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. COVID-19: Thematic Guidance—Securing Academic Standards and Supporting Student Achievement. 2020. Available online: https://www.qaa.ac.uk/docs/qaa/guidance/covid-19-thematic-guidance-academic-standards.pdf?sfvrsn=cbcccd81_6 (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. International Examples of Practice in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic: An Overview. 2020. Available online: https://www.qaa.ac.uk/docs/qaa/guidance/international-examples-of-practice-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=b3aecd81_2 (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- European Network for Quality Assurance in Higher Education (ENQA). Report on Standards and Guidelines for Quality Assurance in the European Higher Education Area, 3rd ed.; European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education: Helsinki, Finland, 2009; pp. 16–19. [Google Scholar]
- Coomaraswamy, U.; Abeygunawardena, H. Quality assurance and accreditation of undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes. In Proceedings of the Re-creating and Re-positioning of Sri Lankan Universities to meet Emerging Opportunities and Challenges in a Globalized Environment, Kalutara, Sri Lanka, 18–19 June 2012; Senaratne, R., Sivasegaram, S., Eds.; University Grants Commission and Ministry of Higher Education: Colombo, Sri Lanka, 2012; pp. 181–200. [Google Scholar]
- Martin, M.; Stella, A. Conducting the Process of External Quality Assurance, 1st ed.; International Institute for Educational Planning (UNESCO): Paris, France, 2010; pp. 10–12. [Google Scholar]
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. Preserving Quality and Standards through a Time of Rapid Change: UK Higher Education in 2020–21. 2020. Available online: https://www.qaa.ac.uk/docs/qaa/guidance/preserving-quality-and-standards-through-a-time-of-rapid-change.pdf (accessed on 6 November 2020).
- Bretag, T. Handbook of Academic Integrity, 1st ed.; Springer Science + Business Media: Singapore, 2016; pp. 3–22. [Google Scholar]
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. Assessing with Integrity in Digital Delivery. 2020. Available online: https://www.qaa.ac.uk/docs/qaa/guidance/assessing-with-integrity-in-digital-delivery.pdf (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- The University of Waterloo. Confidentiality Agreement & Statement of Honesty. Available online: https://uwaterloo.ca/academic-integrity/sites/ca.academic-integrity/files/uploads/files/honour_statement.pdf (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. Contacting to Cheat in Higher Education: How to Address Essay Mills and Contract Cheating. 2017. Available online: https://www.qaa.ac.uk/docs/qaa/guidance/contracting-to-cheat-in-higher-education-2nd-edition.pdf (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- Deakin University. Available online: http://wordpress-ms.deakin.edu.au/dteach/wp-content/uploads/sites/103/2020/03/DigitalExamsAssessmentGuide1.pdf?_ga=2.217745174.1869770854.1601470891-1753161286.1601470891 (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- UC SanDiego. Available online: https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Moving-to-Remote-Assessments-with-Integrity.html?soid=1129123483094&aid=9byY06J_J9s (accessed on 28 September 2020).
- The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. COVID-19: Thematic Guidance—Practice and Lab-based Assessment. 2017. Available online: https://www.qaa.ac.uk/docs/qaa/guidance/covid-19-thematic-guidance-practice-lab-based-assessment.pdf?sfvrsn=f3cccd81_6 (accessed on 29 September 2020).
- Universities UK. 2020. Available online: https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/policy-and-analysis/reports/Documents/2020/principles-and-considerations-emerging-from-lockdown-june-2020.pdf (accessed on 6 September 2020).
Publisher’s Note: MDPI stays neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
© 2020 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).