COVID-19: The Origins of the Problem
2. Conceptual Approach, Method of Data Collection and Materials
3. General Economic Impacts of COVID-19
4. Findings and Discussion: Non-financial Impacts
Post-Lockdown: Business as Usual, or Opportunity for Change?
5. Conclusions and Long-Term Outlook
Conflicts of Interest
- Sachs, J.; Schmidt-Traub, G.; Kroll, C.; Lafortune, G.; Fuller, G. Sustainable Development Report 2019; Bertelsmann Stiftung and Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN): New York, NY, USA, 2019. [Google Scholar]
- Behravesh, N.; Rocha, E.W. Interim Global Economic Forecast; IHS Markit: London, UK, 2020. [Google Scholar]
- UN Launches COVID-19 Plan that Could ‘Defeat the Virus and Build a Better World’. Available online: https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/03/1060702 (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- UN Dept of Global Communications, Funding the Fight Against COVID-19 in the World’s Poorest Countries. Available online: https://www.un.org/en/un-coronavirus-communications-team/funding-fight-against-covid-19-world%E2%80%99s-poorest-countries (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Harvey, F. Coronavirus Pandemic ‘will Cause Famine of Biblical Proportions’. Available online: https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/apr/21/coronavirus-pandemic-will-cause-famine-of-biblical-proportions (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Correira, S.; Luck, S. How Can We Save Lives and the Economy? Lessons From the Spanish Flu Pandemic. Available online: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/pandemic-economy-lessons-1918-flu/ (accessed on 12 May 2020).
- Keogh-Brown, M.R.; Smith, R.D. The economic impact of SARS: How does the reality match the predictions? Health Policy 2008, 88, 110–120. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Taylor, S. The Psychology of Pandemics: Preparing for the Next Global Outbreak of Infectious Disease; Cambridge Scholars Publishing: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK, 2019. [Google Scholar]
- Tieleman, R.; Tieleman-Gu, Y.; Shi, A.-J. Hollandse Nuchterheid of Dutch Ignorance? Available online: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/hollandse-nuchterheid-dutch-ignorance-robert-tieleman (accessed on 15 March 2020).
- Ford, N. Hunt and Morrison were Warned about Coronavirus in Late November and did Nothing-an Important Letter to the Editor. Available online: https://medium.com/@narelleford/wednesday-post-da60561dfa40 (accessed on 26 March 2020).
- Chinazzi, M.; Davis, J.T.; Ajelli, M.; Gioannini, C.; Litvinova, M.; Merler, S.; y Piontti, A.P.; Mu, K.; Rossi, L.; Sun, K.; et al. The effect of travel restrictions on the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Science 2020, 368, 395–400. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed][Green Version]
- Chen, N.; Zhou, M.; Dong, X.; Qu, J.; Gong, F.; Han, Y.; Qiu, Y.; Wang, J.; Liu, Y.; Wei, Y.; et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: A descriptive study. Lancet 2020, 395, 507–513. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Lu, H.; Stratton, C.W.; Tang, Y.W. Outbreak of Pneumonia of Unknown Etiology in Wuhan China: The Mystery and the Miracle. J. Med. Virol. 2020, 401–402. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed][Green Version]
- WHO. Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Situation Report-11. Available online: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200131-sitrep-11-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=de7c0f7_4 (accessed on 21 March 2020).
- WHO. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Report-51. Available online: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200311-sitrep-51-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=1ba62e57_10 (accessed on 21 March 2020).
- WHO. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Report-135. Available online: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200603-covid-19-sitrep-135.pdf?sfvrsn=39972feb_2 (accessed on 4 June 2020).
- WHO. Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Situation Report-60. Available online: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200320-sitrep-60-covid-19.pdf?sfvrsn=d2bb4f1f_2 (accessed on 21 March 2020).
- Knight, S.A.; Cross, D. Using contextual constructs model to frame doctoral research methodology. J. Dr. Stud. 2012, 7, 39–62. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Garcia, M.; McDowell, T. Mapping social capital: A critical contextual approach for working with low-status families. J. Marital Fam. Ther. 2010, 36, 96–107. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Cole, A.; Ferrarese, E. How capitalism forms our lives. J. Cult. Res. 2018, 22, 105–112. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Foster, J. The analytical foundations of evolutionary economics: From biological analogy to economic self-organization. Struct. Chang. Econ. Dyn. 1997, 8, 427–451. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Grant, M.J.; Booth, A. A typology of reviews: An analysis of 14 review types and associated methodologies. Health Inf. Libr. J. 2009, 26, 91–108. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Martin, E. Coronavirus Economic Impact ‘Will be Severe,’ at Least as Bad as Great Recession, Says IMF. Available online: https://fortune.com/2020/03/23/coronavirus-economic-impact-predictions-great-recession-2020-markets-imf/ (accessed on 23 March 2020).
- UN News. Coronavirus Update: COVID-19 Likely to Cost Economy $1 Trillion During 2020, Says UN Trade Agency. Available online: https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/03/1059011 (accessed on 9 March 2020).
- Li, Y. This was the Fastest 30% Sell-off Ever, Exceeding the Pace of Declines during the Great Depression. Available online: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/23/this-was-the-fastest-30percent-stock-market-decline-ever.html (accessed on 23 March 2020).
- Leigh, G. The Latest on Which Airlines Are Still Flying and Why. Available online: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gabrielleigh/2020/03/23/the-latest-on-which-airlines-are-still-flying-and-why/#1b0164f71ffc (accessed on 23 March 2020).
- Platje, J.; Harvey, J.; Bacchus, L.R. COVID-19-reflections on the surprise of both an expected and unexpected event. Cent. Eur. Rev. Econ. Manag. 2020, 4, 149–162. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Van Dam, Y.; Webbink, J. Reflecting on reflections on COVID-19. Cent. Eur. Rev. Econ. Manag. 2020, 4, 7–10. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Sumner, A.; Hoy, C.; Ortiz-Juarez, E. Estimates of the Impact of COVID-19 on Global Poverty. In WIDER; UNU-WIDER: Helsinki, Finland, 2020. [Google Scholar]
- Oxfam International, Dignity Not Destitution. Available online: https://www.oxfam.org/en/research/dignity-not-destitution (accessed on 9 April 2020).
- Shipp, T. Press Release: COVID-19 Fallout Could Push Half a Billion People into poverty in Developing Countries. Available online: https://www.wider.unu.edu/news/press-release-covid-19-fallout-could-push-half-billion-people-poverty-developing-countries (accessed on 8 April 2020).
- International Labour Organiztion (ILO). Most of World Lacks Unemployment Insurance. Available online: https://www.ilo.org/global/about-the-ilo/newsroom/news/WCMS_007901/lang--en/index.htm (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Oxford. Safeguarding the Malaria Endgame in the Midst of the COVID-19 Pandemic. Available online: https://www.tropicalmedicine.ox.ac.uk/news/safeguarding-the-malaria-endgame-in-the-midst-of-the-covid-19-pandemic19 (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- McCloskey, B.; Zumla, A.; Ippolito, G.; Blumberg, L.; Arbon, P.; Cicero, A.; Endericks, T.; Lim, P.L.; Borodina, M. Mass gathering events and reducing further global spread of COVID-19: A political and public health dilemma. Lancet 2020, 395, 1096–1099. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- UNESCO. COVID-19 Educational Disruption and Response. Available online: https://en.unesco.org/themes/education-emergencies/coronavirus-school-closures. (accessed on 21 March 2020).
- UN-WOMEN. The COVID-19 Outbreak and Gender: Key Advocacy Points from Asia and the Pacific. Available online: https://www.unwomen.org/ (accessed on 21 March 2020).
- Gilbert, M.; Pullano, G.; Pinotti, F.; Valdano, E.; Poletto, C.; Boëlle, P.Y.; D’Ortenzio, E.; Yazdanpanah, Y.; Eholie, S.P.; Altmann, M.; et al. Preparedness and vulnerability of African countries against importations of COVID-19: A modelling study. Lancet 2020, 395, 871–877. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef][Green Version]
- They’re Scary. There is No Plan to Return to Normal. Available online: https://www.vox.com/2020/4/10/21215494/coronavirus-plans-social-distancing-economy-recession-depression-unemployment (accessed on 10 April 2020).
- Khalid, M. Apple and Google Are Teaming Up to Fight Covid-19 With Contact Tracing. Available online: https://qz.com/1836299/apple-and-google-team-up-to-fight-covid-19-with-contact-tracing/ (accessed on 10 April 2020).
- How Many Smartphones Are in the World. Available online: https://www.bankmycell.com/blog/how-many-phones-are-in-the-world (accessed on 20 April 2020).
- Bahia, K.; Suardi, S. Connected Society: The State of Mobile Internet Connectivity; GSMA: London, UK, 2019. [Google Scholar]
- WHO. Emergency Guideline: Implementation and Management of Contact Tracing for Ebola Virus Disease. Available online: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/185258/WHO_EVD_Guidance_Contact_15.1_eng.pdf?sequen (accessed on 17 June 2020).
- Nair, N. Childhood tuberculosis: Public health and contact tracing. Paediatr. Respir. Rev. 2001, 2, 97–102. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Reeves, A.; Basu, S.; McKee, M.; Meissner, C.; Stuckler, D. Does investment in the health sector promote or inhibit economic growth? Global Health 2013, 9, 43. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Cheng, W.; Appolloni, A.; D′Amato, A.; Zhu, Q. Green Public Procurement, missing concepts and future trends—A critical review. J. Clean. Prod. 2018, 176, 770–784. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Rizzi, F.; Frey, M.; Testa, F.; Appolloni, A. Environmental value chain in green SME networks: The threat of the Abilene paradox. J. Clean. Prod. 2014, 85, 265–275. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Shalal, A.; Lawder, D. IMF Sees Pandemic Causing Global Recession in 2020, Recovery in 2021. Available online: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-imf/imf-sees-pandemic-causing-global-recession-in-2020-recovery-in-2021-idUSKBN21A33O (accessed on 23 March 2020).
- World Bank Group Announces Up to $12 Billion Immediate Support for COVID-19 Country Response. Available online: https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2020/03/03/world-bank-group-announces-up-to-12-billion-immediate-support-for-covid-19-country-response (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Legido-Quigley, H.; Mateos-García, J.T.; Campos, V.R.; Gea-Sánchez, M.; Muntaner, C.; McKee, M. The Resilience of the Spanish Health System Against the COVID-19 Pandemic. Lancet 2020, 5, 251–252. Available online: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(20)300608/fulltext (accessed on 1 May 2020). [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Wintour, P. World Leaders Pledge €7.4bn to Research Covid-19 Vaccine. Available online: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/04/world-leaders-pledge-74bn-euros-to-research-covid-19-vaccine (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Francesca, C. Resilient Health Systems: What We are Learning from the COVID-19 Crisis. Available online: https://www.oecd-forum.org/users/382555-francesca-colombo/posts/64973-resilient-health-systems-what-we-are-learning-from-the-covid-19-crisis (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Handley, E.; Walsh, M. What Happens If the US Stops Funding the WHO in the Middle of the Coronavirus Pandemic? Available online: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-16/coronavirus-who-explainer-what-does-trump-funding-decision-mean/12151080 (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Mills, A. Health Care Systems in Low- and Middle-Income Countries. N. Engl. J. Med. 2014. Available online: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1110897 (accessed on 18 June 2020). [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Audi, R. Nationalism, Patriotism, and Cosmopolitanism in an Age of Globalization. J. Ethics 2009, 13, 365–381. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Keller, S. Patriotism as Bad Faith. Ethics 2005, 115, 563–592. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Lott, M. Coronavirus Relief Bill Contains Nearly $12 Billion in Questionable Spending. Available online: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-relief-bill-contains-nearly-12b-in-questionable-spending (accessed on 27 March 2020).
- UK Pledges Extra Coronavirus Funds for WHO, NGOs. Available online: https://www.barrons.com/news/uk-pledges-extra-coronavirus-funds-for-who-ngos-01586646307?tesla=y (accessed on 11 April 2020).
- Cornish, L. Who′s Funding the COVID-19 Response and What are the Priorities? Available online: https://www.devex.com/news/interactive-who-s-funding-the-covid-19-response-and-what-are-the-priorities-96833 (accessed on 21 June 2020).
- Vaster, E. The controllability of difference: Social cohesion and the new politics of solidarity. Ethnicities 2010, 10, 503–521. [Google Scholar]
- Komter, A.E. Social Solidarity and the Gift; Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 2005. [Google Scholar]
- Kumar, R. For the Global Development Community, COVID-19 Poses Big Questions. Available online: https://www.devex.com/news/for-the-global-development-community-covid-19-poses-big-questions-96899 (accessed on 11 April 2020).
- Mishra, S. No Greater Patriotism Than Being Part of Fight Against COVID-19: Sonia Gandhi. Available online: https://www.theweek.in/news/india/2020/04/14/no-greater-patriotism-than-being-part-of-fight-against-covid-19-sonia-gandhi.html (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Thomas, M. Why Wear White When You Can Get Patriotic in the Fight Against COVID-19. Available online: https://www.thedubrovniktimes.com/news/croatia/item/8688-why-wear-white-when-you-can-get-patriotic-in-the-fight-against-covid-19 (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Godfery, A.M. Strict Covid-19 Lockdown Gave New Zealand a Key Ingredient to Recover-solidarity. Available online: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/21/a-strict-covid-19-lockdown-gave-new-zealand-a-key-ingredient-to-recover-solidarity (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Larby, F. From Patriotism to Humanity: China Leading the Fight of the COVID-19. Available online: https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/202003/03/WS5e5def49a31012821727bea8.html (accessed on 3 March 2020).
- NASA Probes Environment, COVID-19 Impacts, Possible Links. Available online: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-probes-environment-covid-19-impacts-possible-links (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Zambrano-Monserrate, M.A.; Ruano, M.A.; Sanchez-Alcalde, L. Indirect effects of COVID-19 on the environment. Sci. Total Environ. 2020, 728, 1–4. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Ingilizian, Z. Is Staying in the New Going Out? How the COVID-19 Pandemic is Fuelling the Stay-at-home Economy. Available online: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/covid19-coronavirus-digital-economy-consumption-ecommerce-stay-at-home-online-education-streaming/ (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Tih, F. ‘Economy Comes Before Virus,’ Says Tanzanian President; Anadolu Agency: Ankara, Turkey; Available online: https://www.aa.com.tr/en/africa/economy-comes-before-virus-says-tanzanian-president/1844572 (accessed on 18 May 2020).
- Paraguassu, L. Bolsonaro Fires Brazil′s Health Minister, Calls to Reopen Economy. Available online: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil/bolsonaro-fires-brazils-health-minister-calls-to-reopen-economy-idUSKBN21Y338 (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Tankersley, J.; Haberman, M.; Rabin, R.C. Trump Considers Reopening Economy, Over Health Experts’ Objections. Available online: https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/government-economy/trump-considers-reopening-us-economy-over-health-experts%E2%80%99-objections (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Steven, B.; Michelle, C.; Peter, G. Exits from Coronavirus Lockdown Split ‘wild’ West from ‘Cautious’ East. Available online: https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Cover-Story/Exits-from-coronavirus-lockdown-split-wild-West-from-cautious-East (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Harrabin, R. Climate Change: Could the Coronavirus Crisis Spur a Green Recovery? Available online: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52488134 (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Website: Paul Davies and Michael Green, ‘Do European Commission Ambitions Signal a New, More Sustainable Direction of Travel for the EU and Globally?’ IN SECTION ‘The EU Recovery Fund: “Building Back Better” in a Post-COVID-19 World’. Available online: https://www.globalelr.com/2020/05/the-eu-recovery-fund-building-back-better-in-a-post-covid-19-world/ (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Air France Must Cut Emissions, Domestic Flights for Aid: Minister. Available online: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-france-economy/air-france-must-cut-emissions-domestic-flights-for-aid-minister-idUSKBN22B2EL (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Solberg, E. Prime Minister of Norway and Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, President and Co-chair, Republic of Ghana, UN Secretary-General’s SDG Advocates. World Economic Forum, Published in Collaboration with Thomson Reuters Foundation Trust. Available online: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/coronavirus-pandemic-effect-sdg-un-progress/ (accessed on 23 April 2020).
- World Bank Group. Ending Poverty Requires More Than Growth, Says WBG. Available online: https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press-release/2014/04/10/ending-poverty-requires-more-than-growth-says-wbg (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Matthew, S. Are MPs Elected to Exercise Their Own Judgement or Do Their Constituents′ Bidding? Available online: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/13/are-mps-elected-exercise-their-own-judgement-or-do (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Chris, B. Sorry, The Role of an MP is to be a Representative, Not a Delegate. Available online: https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2015/12/sorry-role-mp-be-representative-not-delegate (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Gerhard, L. Ecological Evolutionary Theory: Principles and Applications; Paradigm Publishers: Boulder, CO, USA, 2005. [Google Scholar]
- Transcript: Scott Gottlieb, Former FDA Commissioner, Discusses Coronavirus. Available online: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-scott-gottlieb-discusses-coronavirus-on-face-the-nation-april-5-2020/ (accessed on 5 April 2020).
|Top 100 Online Hits for “COVID-19 and Impact”: Non-economic Impacts (Google), 9 June 2020|
|Economic + Business||Economy||0.5, 0.5|
|Social||Health/medical||1,1||1, 1, 1, 1|
|Administrative and Other||Air traffic (Europe)||1|
|EU projects admin||1|
|Weather forecast infrastructure||1|
|Info + Research||Aggregator (Wiki)||1||1|
|Socio-econ||Socio-econ||1, 1||1, 1, 1|
|TOTAL (1-50 + 51-100)|
|Non-econ: 32% (14 + 18)/100||14/50||18/50|
|Econ only: 68% (36 + 32)/100||36/50||32/50|
© 2020 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).