Next Article in Journal
Low-Temperature Solution-Processed Gate Dielectrics for High-Performance Organic Thin Film Transistors
Next Article in Special Issue
Effects of Medium Temperature and Industrial By-Products on the Key Hardened Properties of High Performance Concrete
Previous Article in Journal
Study of a Steel’s Energy Absorption System for Heavy Quadricycles and Nonlinear Explicit Dynamic Analysis of its Behavior under Impact by FEM
Previous Article in Special Issue
Inhibitory Effect of Waste Glass Powder on ASR Expansion Induced by Waste Glass Aggregate
Open AccessArticle

Global Warming Implications of the Use of By-Products and Recycled Materials in Western Australia’s Housing Sector

1
Sustainable Engineering Group, Curtin University, Western Australia 6845, Australia
2
Department of Civil Engineering, Curtin University, Western Australia 6845, Australia
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
The lead author contributed 70% and co-authors contributed equally for remaining 30% efforts in writing of the manuscript.
Academic Editor: Jorge de Brito
Materials 2015, 8(10), 6909-6925; https://doi.org/10.3390/ma8105347
Received: 11 September 2015 / Revised: 25 September 2015 / Accepted: 7 October 2015 / Published: 12 October 2015
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Utilisation of By-Product Materials in Concrete)
Western Australia’s housing sector is growing rapidly and around half a million houses are expected to be built by 2030, which not only will result in increased energy and resources demand but will have socio-economic impacts. Majority of Western Australians live in detached houses made of energy intensive clay bricks, which have a high potential to generate construction and demolition (C&D) waste. Therefore, there is a need to look into the use of alternative materials and construction methods. Due to Western Australia’s temperate climate, concrete could not only offer a comfortable living space but an operational energy saving also can be achieved. This paper has assessed the global warming implications of cast in-situ concrete sandwich wall system as an alternative to clay brick walls (CBW) with partial replacement of cement in concrete with by-products such as fly ash (FA) and ground granulated blast furnace slag (GGBFS), natural aggregate (NA) with recycled crushed aggregate (RCA), natural sand (NS) with manufactured sand (MS) and, polyethylene terephthalate (PET) foam core as a replacement to polystyrene core for construction of a typical 4 × 2 × 2 detached house in Perth. Life cycle management (LCM) approach has been used to determine global warming reduction benefits due to the use of available by-products and recycled materials in Western Australian houses. View Full-Text
Keywords: clay bricks; cast in-situ sandwich walls; fly ash; GGBFS; RCA; PET foam; GHG emissions clay bricks; cast in-situ sandwich walls; fly ash; GGBFS; RCA; PET foam; GHG emissions
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Lawania, K.; Sarker, P.;  , W.B. Global Warming Implications of the Use of By-Products and Recycled Materials in Western Australia’s Housing Sector. Materials 2015, 8, 6909-6925.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Only visits after 24 November 2015 are recorded.
Back to TopTop