Optimizing Waste Heat Utilization in Vehicle Bio-Methane Plants
AbstractCurrent vehicle bio-methane plants have drawbacks associated with high energy consumption and low recovery levels of waste heat produced during the gasification process. In this paper, we have optimized the performance of heat exchange networks using pinch analysis and through the introduction of heat pump integration technology. Optimal results for the heat exchange network of a bio-gas system producing 10,000 cubic meters have been calculated using a pinch point temperature of 50 °C, a minimum heating utility load of 234.02 kW and a minimum cooling utility load of 201.25 kW. These optimal parameters are predicted to result in energy savings of 116.08 kW (19.75%), whilst the introduction of new heat pump integration technology would afford further energy savings of 95.55 kW (16.25%). The combined energy saving value of 211.63 kW corresponds to a total energy saving of 36%, with economic analysis revealing that these reforms would give annual savings of 103,300 USD. The installation costs required to introduce these process modifications are predicted to require an initial investment of 423,200 USD, which would take 4.1 years to reach payout time based on predicted annual energy savings. View Full-Text
Share & Cite This Article
Zhen, F.; Zhang, J.; Li, W.; Sun, Y.; Kong, X. Optimizing Waste Heat Utilization in Vehicle Bio-Methane Plants. Energies 2018, 11, 1518.
Zhen F, Zhang J, Li W, Sun Y, Kong X. Optimizing Waste Heat Utilization in Vehicle Bio-Methane Plants. Energies. 2018; 11(6):1518.Chicago/Turabian Style
Zhen, Feng; Zhang, Jia; Li, Wenzhe; Sun, Yongming; Kong, Xiaoying. 2018. "Optimizing Waste Heat Utilization in Vehicle Bio-Methane Plants." Energies 11, no. 6: 1518.
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.