Energy-Efficient Subcarrier Pairing and Power Allocation for DF Relay Networks with an Eavesdropper
- In contrast to [13,14,15,16,17], where the secure sum rate/EE maximization for a single subcarrier is served as the main design goal, in this paper, a joint optimization problem is formulated to maximize the secure EE of the network, subject to a total transmit power budget. The original optimization problem is NP-hard. We first transform the secure EE problem into an equivalent convex problem for finding the optimal power allocation under given subcarrier pairing. The optimization problem then becomes a mixed-integer binary non-linear programming problem. Instead of searching over all possible subcarrier pairing combinations, a near-optimal EE maximization (EEM) algorithm is found by using the Hungarian method to reduce the computational burden. To get more insights, we derive a closed-form expression for the source and the relay power allocation.
- Furthermore, a suboptimal algorithm with even less complexity but acceptable performance degradation is investigated. Next, we analyze the complexity of the proposed algorithms, and evaluate the performance and compare with an EEM algorithm without an eavesdropper (EEM w/o E) by computer simulation for understanding the trade-off between them.
2. System Model and Problem Formulation
2.1. System Model
2.2. Optimization Problem Formulation
3. Energy-Efficient Subcarrier Pairing and Power Allocation Algorithm
3.1. Solution of the Subproblem
3.2. Solution of the Master Problem
|Algorithm 1: Iterative EEM Algorithm.|
4. Energy-Efficient Suboptimal Resource Allocation Algorithm
- Intuitively, a higher power value is allocated to a subcarrier pair with better channel quality from the source to the destination nodes. Hence, the subcarriers of the SR and RD links with a higher end-to-end channel gain are paired together with a higher priority. Firstly, the SR subcarriers are organized in a descending order according to their channel gains, and the RD subcarriers are also ordered in similar way. Then, the corresponding subcarriers are paired with each other in sequence. We set , if the ith subcarrier of the SR link is paired with the jth subcarrier of the RD link; otherwise, .
- The next step is to get the optimal power allocation for maximizing EE by solving for the obtained subcarrier pairing in the step 1.
5. Complexity Analysis
6. Simulation Results and Discussion
Conflicts of Interest
- Chen, Y.; Zhang, S.; Xu, S.; Li, G. Fundamental trade-offs on green wireless networks. IEEE Commun. Mag. 2011, 49, 30–37. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Wong, V.W.S.; Schober, R.; Ng, D.W.K.; Wang, L.-C. Key Technologies for 5G Wireless Systems; Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 2017. [Google Scholar]
- Han, C.; Harrold, T.; Armour, S.; Krikidis, I.; Videv, S.; Grant, P.; Haas, H.; Thompson, J.; Ku, I.; Wang, C.-X.; et al. Green radio: Radio techniques to enable energy-efficient networks. IEEE Commun. Mag. 2011, 49, 46–54. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Laneman, J.N.; Tse, D.N.C.; Wornell, G.W. Cooperative diversity in wireless networks: Efficient protocols and outage behavior. IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory 2004, 50, 3062–3080. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Arnold, O.; Richter, F.; Fettweis, G.; Blume, O. Power consumption modeling of different base station types in heterogeneous cellular networks. In Proceedings of the Future Network and Mobile Summit 2010, Florence, Italy, 16–18 June 2010; pp. 1–8. [Google Scholar]
- Singh, K.; Ku, M.-L. Toward green power allocation in relay-assisted multiuser networks: A pricing-based approach. IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun. 2015, 14, 2470–2486. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Vandendorpe, L.; Duran, R.; Louveaux, J.; Zaidi, A. Power allocation for OFDM transmission with DF relaying. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications, Beijing, China, 19–23 May 2008; pp. 3795–3800. [Google Scholar]
- Vandendorpe, L.; Louveaux, J.; Oguz, O.; Zaidi, A. Rate-optimized power allocation for DF-relayed OFDM transmission under sum and individual power constraints. EURASIP J. Wirel. Commun. Netw. 2009. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Li, W.Y.; Wang, W.; Kong, J.; Peng, M. Subcarrier pairing for amplify-and-forward and decode-and-forward OFDM relay links. IEEE Commun. Lett. 2009, 13, 209–211. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Dang, W.; Tao, M.; Mu, H.; Huang, J. Subcarrier-based resource allocation for cooperative multi-relay OFDM systems. IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun. 2010, 9, 1640–1649. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Seong, K.; Mohseni, M.; Cioffi, J.M. Optimal resource allocation for OFDMA downlink systems. In Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, Seattle, WA, USA, 9–14 July 2006; pp. 1394–1398. [Google Scholar]
- Ng, D.W.K.; Lo, E.S.; Schober, R. Energy-efficient resource allocation in OFDMA systems with large numbers of base station antennas. IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun. 2012, 11, 3292–3304. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Abedi, M.R.; Mokari, N.; Javan, M.R.; Yanikomeroglu, H. Secure communication in OFDMA-based cognitive radio networks: An incentivized secondary network coexistence approach. IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 2017, 66, 1171–1185. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Yang, M.; Guo, D.; Huang, Y.; Duong, T.Q.; Zhang, B. Secure multiuser scheduling in downlink dual-hop regenerative relay networks over Nakagami-m fading channels. IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun. 2016, 15, 8009–8024. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- El Shafie, A.; Mabrouk, A.; Tourki, K.; Al-Dhahir, N. A secure relay selection AN-aided scheme for dual-hop DF relay networks with two-sided eavesdropping. IEEE Wirel. Commun. Lett. 2017, 6, 474–477. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Farhat, J.; Brante, G.; Souza, R.D. On the secure energy efficiency of TAS/MRC with relaying and jamming strategies. IEEE Signal Process. Lett. 2017, 24, 1228–1232. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Xiong, J.; Cheng, L.; Ma, D.; Wei, J. Destination-aided cooperative jamming for dual-hop amplify-and-forward MIMO untrusted relay systems. IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 2016, 65, 7274–7284. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Boyd, S.; Vandenberghe, L. Convex Optimization; Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, 2004. [Google Scholar]
- Dinkelbach, W. On nonlinear fractional programming. Manag. Sci. 1967, 13, 492–498. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kuhn, H.W. The Hungarian method for the assignment problem. In 50 Years of Integer Programming 1958–2008; Springer: Berlin/Heidelberg, Germany, 2010; pp. 29–47. [Google Scholar]
- Zhang, H.; Liu, Y.; Tao, M. Resource allocation with subcarrier pairing in OFDMA two-way relay networks. IEEE Wirel. Commun. Lett. 2012, 1, 61–64. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Yu, W.; Lui, R. Dual methods for nonconvex spectrum optimization of multicarrier systems. IEEE Trans. Commun. 2006, 54, 1310–1322. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- 3rd Generation Partnership Project 3GPP, Further Advancements for E-UTRA Physical Layer Aspects (release 9), 3GPP TR 36.814, V9.0.0. Valbonne, France, 2010. Available online: http://www.qtc.jp/3GPP/Specs/36814-900.pdf (accessed on 23 November 2017).
© 2017 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Share and Cite
Singh, K.; Ku, M.-L.; Biswas, S.; Ratnarajah, T. Energy-Efficient Subcarrier Pairing and Power Allocation for DF Relay Networks with an Eavesdropper. Energies 2017, 10, 1953. https://doi.org/10.3390/en10121953
Singh K, Ku M-L, Biswas S, Ratnarajah T. Energy-Efficient Subcarrier Pairing and Power Allocation for DF Relay Networks with an Eavesdropper. Energies. 2017; 10(12):1953. https://doi.org/10.3390/en10121953Chicago/Turabian Style
Singh, Keshav, Meng-Lin Ku, Sudip Biswas, and Tharmalingam Ratnarajah. 2017. "Energy-Efficient Subcarrier Pairing and Power Allocation for DF Relay Networks with an Eavesdropper" Energies 10, no. 12: 1953. https://doi.org/10.3390/en10121953