Next Article in Journal
Using 164 Million Google Street View Images to Derive Built Environment Predictors of COVID-19 Cases
Previous Article in Journal
Hotels’ Eco-Friendly Physical Environment as Nature-Based Solutions for Decreasing Burnout and Increasing Job Satisfaction and Performance
Article

Prevalence of Molar–Incisor Hypomineralization and Caries in Eight-Year-Old Children in Croatia

1
Faculty of Medicine Osijek, University of Osijek, 31000 Osijek, Croatia
2
Faculty of Education, University of Osijek, 31000 Osijek, Croatia
3
Faculty of Dental Medicine and Health, University of Osijek, 31000 Osijek, Croatia
4
School of Dental Medicine, University of Zagreb, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17(17), 6358; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17176358
Received: 19 July 2020 / Revised: 28 August 2020 / Accepted: 30 August 2020 / Published: 1 September 2020
The aim of this study was to detect molar–incisor hypomineralization (MIH) and caries prevalence in eight-year-old children with early mixed dentition in Eastern Croatia. There is a lack of data on MIH in Croatia. There were 729 children examined in total: 356 (48.83%) were female and 373 (51.16%) were male. The presence of MIH was found in 95 children, the prevalence of MIH was 13%, and the remaining 634 (87%) did not have any changes associated with MIH. The prevalence of caries overall in the population of examined children was 11.48%. In the group of children with MIH, the prevalence of caries was 24.14%, while in the group of children with no MIH, the prevalence of caries was 11.18%. Teeth had a Decayed, Missing, and Filled Teeth (DMFT) index of 1.2, the value of the SiC index was 1.4, and the decayed, missing, and filled teeth (dmft) index for deciduous teeth was 5.8. Children with MIH had a caries index of DMFT 2.1, and the value of the SiC index was 2.6. The index of caries for non-MIH children was DMFT 1.1 and the SiC index was 1.2. MIH prevalence in Croatia is more common in girls than in boys. MIH has a significant impact on children’s development and is a major factor in the occurrence of caries. View Full-Text
Keywords: prevalence; molar–incisor hypomineralization; Croatia; caries prevalence; molar–incisor hypomineralization; Croatia; caries
MDPI and ACS Style

Jurlina, D.; Uzarevic, Z.; Ivanisevic, Z.; Matijevic, N.; Matijevic, M. Prevalence of Molar–Incisor Hypomineralization and Caries in Eight-Year-Old Children in Croatia. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 6358. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17176358

AMA Style

Jurlina D, Uzarevic Z, Ivanisevic Z, Matijevic N, Matijevic M. Prevalence of Molar–Incisor Hypomineralization and Caries in Eight-Year-Old Children in Croatia. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2020; 17(17):6358. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17176358

Chicago/Turabian Style

Jurlina, Davor, Zvonimir Uzarevic, Zrinka Ivanisevic, Nikola Matijevic, and Marko Matijevic. 2020. "Prevalence of Molar–Incisor Hypomineralization and Caries in Eight-Year-Old Children in Croatia" International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 17, no. 17: 6358. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17176358

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop