A Pilot COVID-19 Surveillance Program at the Zendrini Center in Milan (Italy) for Unaccompanied Foreign Minors
2. Materials and Methods
- Thirty-eight subjects (33 minors, 87%, and five operators, 13%) received only one swab;
- Nineteen subjects (nine minors, 87%, and five operators, 47%) received two swabs;
- Nine subjects (7 minors, 78%, and two operators, 23%) received three swabs;
- Four subjects (all minors) received four swabs;
- Four subjects (all minors) received five swabs;
- Three subjects (one minor, 33%, and two operators, 67%) received six swabs;
- Three subjects (all operators) received seven swabs.
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- World Health Organization. WHO Coronavirus (COVID-19) Dashboard. Available online: https://covid19.who.int (accessed on 12 July 2022).
- Greenaway, C.; Hargreaves, S.; Barkati, S.; Coyle, C.M.; Gobbi, F.; Veizis, A.; Douglas, P. COVID-19: Exposing and addressing health disparities among ethnic minorities and migrants. J. Travel Med. 2020, 27, taaa113. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Tai, D.B.G.; Shah, A.; Doubeni, C.A.; Sia, I.G.; Wieland, M.L. The disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on racial and ethnic minorities in the United States. Clin. Infect Dis. 2020, 72, 703–706. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Williamson, E.J.; Walker, A.J.; Bhaskaran, K.; Bacon, S.; Bates, C.; Morton, C.E.; Curtis, H.J.; Mehrkar, A.; Evans, D.; Inglesby, P.; et al. Factors associated with COVID-19-related death using OpenSAFELY. Nature 2020, 584, 430–436. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Guidance on Infection Prevention and Control of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) in Migrant and Refugee Reception and Detention Centres in the EU/EEA and the United Kingdom; ECDC: Stockholm, Sweden, 2020. [Google Scholar]
- Cummaudo, M.; Merelli, V.; De Angelis, D.; Magli, F.; Maggioni, L.; Tambuzzi, S.; Lanza, G.; Palazzo, C.; Colombo, A.; Lucchesi, B.; et al. Institutionalising forensic sciences and medicine in centres for newly arrived unaccompanied minors: A case study from Milano. J. Forensic Leg. Med. 2022, 85, 102297. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- UNHCR. Global Trends. Forced Displacement in 2020. Available online: https://www.unhcr.org/60b638e37/unhcr-global-trends-2020 (accessed on 10 July 2022).
- European Commission. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament and the Council. Action Plan on Unaccompanied Minors. Available online: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2010:0213:FIN:EN:PDF (accessed on 12 July 2022).
- Openshaw, J.J.; Travassos, M.A. COVID-19 outbreaks in U.S. immigrant detention centers: The urgent need to adopt CDC guidelines for prevention and evaluation. Clin. Infect Dis. 2020, 72, 153–154. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Berger, Z.D.; Evans, N.G.; Phelan, A.; Silverman, R.D. COVID-19: Control measures must be equitable and inclusive. BMJ 2020, 368, m1141. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Ceccarelli, G.; Lopalco, M.; D’Ettorre, G.; Ciccozzi, M. Surveillance of COVID-19 in migrant reception centres: A call for action. J. Travel Med. 2021, 28, taaa171. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Bonwitt, J.; Deya, R.W.; Currie, D.W.; Lipton, B.; Huntington-Frazier, M.; Sanford, S.J.; Pallickaparambil, A.J.; Hood, J.; Rao, A.K.; Kelly-Reif, K.; et al. COVID-19 Surveillance and Investigations in Workplaces—Seattle & King County, Washington, 15 June–15 November 2020. MMWR. Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep. 2021, 70, 916–921. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Carmagnola, D.; Pellegrini, G.; Canciani, E.; Henin, D.; Perrotta, M.; Forlanini, F.; Barcellini, L.; Dellavia, C. Invasive. Children 2021, 8, 544. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Calati, R.; Gentile, G.; Fornaro, M.; Tambuzzi, S.; Zoja, R. Preliminary suicide trends during the COVID-19 pandemic in Milan, Italy. J. Psychiatr. Res. 2021, 143, 21–22. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- European Commission. EU Health Preparedness: A Common List of COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Tests; A Common Standardised Set of Data to be Included in COVID-19 Test Result Certificates; and A Common List of COVID-19 Laboratory Based Antigenic Assays. Agreed by the Health Security Committee. Available online: https://health.ec.europa.eu/system/files/2022-07/covid-19_eu-common-list-antigen-tests_en.pdf (accessed on 20 July 2022).
- Jayamohan, H.; Lambert, C.J.; Sant, H.J.; Jafek, A.; Patel, D.; Feng, H.; Beeman, M.; Mahmood, T.; Nze, U.; Gale, B.K. SARSCoV-2 pandemic: A review of molecular diagnostic tools including sample collection and commercial response with associated advantages and limitations. Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 2021, 413, 49–71. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Wyllie, A.L.; Fournier, J.; Casanovas-Massana, A.; Campbell, M.; Tokuyama, M.; Vijayakumar, P.; Warren, J.L.; Geng, B.; Muenker, M.C.; Moore, A.J.; et al. Saliva or Nasopharyngeal Swab Specimens for Detection of SARS-CoV-2. N. Engl. J. Med. 2020, 383, 1283–1286. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- World Health Organization. Diagnostic Testing for SARS-CoV-2. Interim Guidance. Available online: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/diagnostic-testing-for-sars-cov-2 (accessed on 18 July 2022).
- Convention on the Rights of the Child. Available online: https://www.ohchr.org/en/instruments-mechanisms/instruments/convention-rights-child (accessed on 14 September 2022).
- Guadagno, L. Migrants and the COVID-19 pandemic: An initial analysis. In Migration Research Series N° 60; International Organization for Migration (IOM): Geneva, Switzerland, 2020. [Google Scholar]
Publisher’s Note: MDPI stays neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
© 2022 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Share and Cite
Tambuzzi, S.; Cummaudo, M.; Maggioni, L.; Tritella, S.; Lucchesi, B.; Montedoro, P.; Agostinelli, I.; Trezzi, S.; Costantino, A.M.; Mazzoni, R.; Marognoli, M.; Poppa, P.; De Angelis, D.; Cattaneo, C. A Pilot COVID-19 Surveillance Program at the Zendrini Center in Milan (Italy) for Unaccompanied Foreign Minors. Children 2022, 9, 1485. https://doi.org/10.3390/children9101485
Tambuzzi S, Cummaudo M, Maggioni L, Tritella S, Lucchesi B, Montedoro P, Agostinelli I, Trezzi S, Costantino AM, Mazzoni R, Marognoli M, Poppa P, De Angelis D, Cattaneo C. A Pilot COVID-19 Surveillance Program at the Zendrini Center in Milan (Italy) for Unaccompanied Foreign Minors. Children. 2022; 9(10):1485. https://doi.org/10.3390/children9101485Chicago/Turabian Style
Tambuzzi, Stefano, Marco Cummaudo, Lidia Maggioni, Stefania Tritella, Barbara Lucchesi, Paola Montedoro, Immacolata Agostinelli, Sofia Trezzi, Antonella Maria Costantino, Rossana Mazzoni, Michela Marognoli, Pasquale Poppa, Danilo De Angelis, and Cristina Cattaneo. 2022. "A Pilot COVID-19 Surveillance Program at the Zendrini Center in Milan (Italy) for Unaccompanied Foreign Minors" Children 9, no. 10: 1485. https://doi.org/10.3390/children9101485