2. Materials and Methods
3.2. Professional Growth
3.3. Culture/Cultural Competence
3.4. In the Field Experiences
Conflicts of Interest
- Jeffrey, J.; Dumont, R.A.; Kim, G.Y.; Kuo, T. Effects of international health electives on medical student learning and career choice: Results of a systematic literature review. Fam. Med 2011, 43, 21–28. [Google Scholar] [PubMed]
- Green, B.F.; Johansson, I.; Rosser, M.; Tengnah, C.; Segrott, J. Studying abroad: A multiple case study of nursing students’ international experiences. Nurse Educ. Today 2008, 28, 981–992. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Gupta, A.R.; Wells, C.K.; Horwitz, R.I.; Bia, F.J.; Barry, M. The International Health Program: The fifteen-year experience with Yale University’s Internal Medicine Residency Program. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 1999, 61, 1019–1023. [Google Scholar] [PubMed]
- Sawatsky, A.P.; Rosenman, D.J.; Merry, S.P.; McDonald, F.S. Eight years of the Mayo International Health Program: What an international elective adds to resident education. Mayo Clin. Proc. 2010, 85, 734–741. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Holmes, D.; Zayas, L.E.; Koyfman, A. Student objectives and learning experiences in a global health elective. J. Community Health 2012, 37, 927–934. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Wang, C.; Burris, M.A. Empowerment through photo novella: Portraits of participation. Health Educ. Q. 1994, 21, 171–186. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Baker, T.A.; Wang, C.C. Photovoice: Use of a participatory action research method to explore the chronic pain experience in older adults. Qual. Health Res. 2006, 16, 1405–1413. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Freire, P. Pedagogy of the Oppressed; Seabury: New York, NY, USA, 1970. [Google Scholar]
- Wang, C.C.; Pies, C.A. Family, maternal, and child health through photovoice. Matern. Child Health J. 2004, 8, 95–102. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Mulder, C.; Dull, A. Facilitating Self-Reflection: The Integration of Photovoice in Graduate Social Work Education. Soc. Work Educ. 2014, 33, 1017–1036. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Janzen, K.J.; Perry, B.A.; Edwards, M. Becoming Real: Using the Artistic Pedagogical Technology of Photovoice as a Medium to Becoming Real to One Another in the Online Educative Environment. Int. J. Nurs. Educ. Scholarsh. 2011. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hernandez, K.; Shabazian, A.N.; McGrath, C. Photovoice as a Pedagogical Tool: Examining the Parallel Learning Processes of College Students and Preschool Children through Service Learning. Creative Educ. 2014, 5, 1947–1957. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Werremeyer, A.B.; Skoy, E.T. A Medical Mission to Guatemala as an Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience. Am. J. Pharm. Educ. 2012, 76, 156. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO). Resource Center. Available online: http://www.naccho.org/programs/public-health-infrastructure/community-health-assessment/resources (accessed on 26 August 2016).
- Accreditation Standards and Guidelines, ACPE—Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, ACPE—Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. Available online: https://www.acpe-accredit.org/standards/ (accessed on 12 October 2016).
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing—Resources for Nursing Programs. Available online: http://www.acenursing.net/manuals/SC2013_BACCALAUREATE.pdf (accessed on 24 November 2016).
- Standards, Publications, & Notification Forms|LCME. Available online: http://lcme.org/publications/ (accessed on 12 October 2016).
- Sylwester Educational Leadership: Reporting What Students Are Learning: How Emotions Affect Learning. Available online: http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/oct94/vol52/num02/How-Emotions-Affect-Learning.aspx (accessed on 12 October 2016).
- Mayring, P.; Rhoeneck, C. Learning Emotions. The Influence of Affective Factors on Classroom Learning; The Peter Lang Publishing Group: Bern, Switzerland, 2003. [Google Scholar]
- Gosselink, C.A.; Myllykangas, S.A. The leisure experiences of older US women living with HIV/AIDS. Health Care Women Int. 2007, 28, 3–20. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- LeClerc, C.M.; Wells, D.L.; Craig, D.; Wilson, J.L. Falling short of the mark: Tales of life after hospital discharge. Clin. Nurs. Res. 2002, 11, 242–263. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Levin, T.; Scott, B.M.; Borders, B.; Hart, K.; Lee, J.; Decanini, A. Aphasia Talks: Photography as a means of communication, self-expression, and empowerment in persons with aphasia. Top Stroke Rehabil. 2007, 14, 72–84. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
|Theme||Attitude||Professional Growth||Culture/Cultural Competence||In the Field Experiences|
|Sub-themes||Optimism||Interprofessional team||Cultural traditions||Emotion|
|Gratitude||Pharmacist skills||Medical systems||Barriers|
|Humility||Knowledge gained||Recognition of cultural competence shift||Education versus experience|
|Advocate for/pursue service experiences in the future||Communication skills|
© 2016 by the authors; licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).