What Is the “Right” Number of Hospital Beds for Palliative Population Health Needs?
2. Materials and Methods
Conflicts of Interest
- Public Health Agency of Canada. What Makes Canadians Healthy or Unhealthy? 2013. Available online: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/health-promotion/population-health/what-determines-health/what-makes-canadians-healthy-unhealthy.html (accessed on 12 October 2018).
- Thurston, A.J.; Wilson, D.M.; Hewitt, J.A. Current end-of-life care needs and care practices in acute care hospitals. Nurs. Res. Pract. 2012, 2012, 869303. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Wilson, D.M. The duration and degree of end-of-life dependency of home care clients and hospital inpatients. Appl. Nurs. Res. 2002, 15, 81–86. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- OECD. Health at a Glance. Average Length of Stay in Hospitals. 2017. Available online: https://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/social-issues-migration-health/health-at-a-glance-2017/average-length-of-stay-in-hospital-2000-and-2015-or-nearest-year_health_glance-2017-graph162-en (accessed on 12 October 2018).
- Brabyn, L.; Beere, P. Population access to hospital emergency departments and the impacts of health reform in New Zealand. Health Inform. J. 2006, 12, 227–237. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Flabouris, A.; Hart, G.K.; Nicholls, A. Patients admitted to Australian intensive care units: Impact of remoteness and distance travelled on patient outcome. Crit. Care Resusc. 2012, 14, 256–267. [Google Scholar] [PubMed]
- Grzybowski, S.; Stoll, K.; Kornelsen, J. Distance matters: A population based study examining access to maternity services for rural women. BMC Health Serv. Res. 2011, 11, 147. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Noronha, K.V.; Andrade, M.V. Social inequality in health and the utilization of health services among the elderly in Latin America. Rev. Panam Salud Publica 2005, 17, 410–418. (In Portuguese) [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Canadian Institute for Health Information. Health Care in Canada. A First Annual Report. 2000. Available online: https://secure.cihi.ca/free_products/eng-brochure.pdf (accessed on 12 October 2018).
- Wait Time Alliance. Close the Gap. Report of Wait Times in Canada. 2014. Available online: http://www.waittimealliance.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/FINAL-EN-WTA-Report-Card.pdf (accessed on 12 October 2018).
- Canadian Institute for Health Information. Hospital Trends in Canada—Results of a Project to Create a Historical Series of Statistical and Financial Data for Canadian Hospitals over Twenty-Seven Years. Available online: https://secure.cihi.ca/free_products/Hospital_Trends_in_Canada_e.pdf (accessed on 12 October 2018).
- Wilson, D.M.; Ross Kerr, J.C. Alberta’s Deficit-Elimination Agenda—How Have Seniors Fared? Can. J. Aging 1998, 17, 197–211. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Gerein, K. Underused rural hospitals are a drain on budgets, but closing them will be a political nightmare. Edmonton Journal, 5 December 2014; A5. [Google Scholar]
- Gerein, K. Nine Rural Hospitals the Alberta Government Should Close. Available online: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Nine+rural+hospitals+Alberta+government+should+close/10440812/story.html (accessed on 12 October 2018).
- Moorin, R.E.; Homan, C.D.J. The effects of socioeconomic status, accessibility to services and patient type on hospital use in Western Australia: A retrospective cohort study of patients with homogenous health status. BMC Health Serv. Res. 2001, 6, 74. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Canadian Institute for Health Information. How Healthy Are Rural Canadians? 2006. Available online: https://secure.cihi.ca/free_products/rural_canadians_2006_report_e.pdf (accessed on 12 October 2018).
- Tiessen, J.; Kambara, H.; Sakai, T.; Kato, K.; Yamauchi, K.; McMillan, D. What causes international variations in length of stay: A comparative analysis for two inpatient conditions in Japanese and Canadian hospitals. Health Serv. Manag. Res. 2013, 26, 86–94. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Scitovsky, A.A. “The high cost of dying”: What do the data show? Milbank Q. 2005, 83, 825–841. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Trachtenberg, A.J.; Manns, B. Cost analysis of medical assistance in dying in Canada. Can. Med. Assoc. J. 2017, 189, E101–E105. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed][Green Version]
- Menec, V.; Lix, L.; Nowicki, S.; Ekuma, O. Health care use at the end of life among older adults: Does it vary by age? J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 2007, 62, 400–407. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Tanuseputro, P.; Wodchis, W.P.; Fowler, R.; Walker, P.; Bai, Y.Q.; Bronskill, S.E.; Manuel, D. The health care cost of dying: A population-based retrospective cohort study of the last year of life in Ontario, Canada. PLoS ONE 2015, 10, e0121759. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Lepnurm, R.; Lepnurm, M.K. The closure of rural hospitals in Saskatchewan: Method or madness? Soc. Sci. Med. 2001, 52, 1689–1707. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
|Province or Country||Hospitals (N)||Hospital Beds (N)||Population (N)||Citizens per Hospital |
|Citizens per |
|Jurisdiction’s Geographical |
Area (square kilometers)
|Average Area per Hospital (square kilometers)|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||33||1361||519,716||15,749||382||405,720||12,295|
|Prince Edward Island||7||488||142,907||20,415||293||5620||803|
© 2018 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Wilson, D.M.; Brow, R.; Playfair, R.; Errasti-Ibarrondo, B. What Is the “Right” Number of Hospital Beds for Palliative Population Health Needs? Societies 2018, 8, 108. https://doi.org/10.3390/soc8040108
Wilson DM, Brow R, Playfair R, Errasti-Ibarrondo B. What Is the “Right” Number of Hospital Beds for Palliative Population Health Needs? Societies. 2018; 8(4):108. https://doi.org/10.3390/soc8040108Chicago/Turabian Style
Wilson, Donna M., Ryan Brow, Robyn Playfair, and Begoña Errasti-Ibarrondo. 2018. "What Is the “Right” Number of Hospital Beds for Palliative Population Health Needs?" Societies 8, no. 4: 108. https://doi.org/10.3390/soc8040108