Next Article in Journal
On the Time Variable Rotation Measure in the Core Region of Markarian 421
Previous Article in Journal
Modeling Polarized Emission from Black Hole Jets: Application to M87 Core Jet
Article Menu
Issue 4 (December) cover image

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Galaxies 2017, 5(4), 56; https://doi.org/10.3390/galaxies5040056

Exoplanet Predictions Based on Harmonic Orbit Resonances

1
Lockheed Martin, Solar and Astrophysics Laboratory, Org. A021S, Bldg. 252, 3251 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
2
Research Office for Complex Physical and Biological Systems, Mutschellenstr. 179, 8038 Zürich, Switzerland
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: Emilio Elizalde
Received: 2 June 2017 / Revised: 13 September 2017 / Accepted: 13 September 2017 / Published: 25 September 2017
Full-Text   |   PDF [305 KB, uploaded 25 September 2017]   |  

Abstract

The current exoplanet database includes 5454 confirmed and candidate planets observed with the Kepler mission. We find 932 planet pairs from which we extract distance and orbital period ratios. While earlier studies used a logarithmic spacing, which lacks a physical model, we employ here the theory of harmonic orbit resonances, which contains quantized ratios instead, to explain the observed planet distance ratios and to predict undetected exoplanets. We find that the most prevailing harmonic ratios are (2:1), (3:2), and (5:3) in 73% of the cases, while alternative harmonic ratios of (5:4), (4:3), (5:2), and (3:1) occur in the other 27% of the cases. Our orbital predictions include 171 exoplanets, 2 Jupiter moons, 1 Saturn moon, 3 Uranus moons, and 4 Neptune moons. The accuracy of the predicted planet distances amounts to a few percent, which fits the data significantly better than the logarithmic spacing. This information may be useful for targeted exoplanet searches with Kepler data and to estimate the number of live-carrying planets in habitable zones. View Full-Text
Keywords: planetary systems; planets and satellites: general; stars: individual planetary systems; planets and satellites: general; stars: individual
Figures

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited (CC BY 4.0).
SciFeed

Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Aschwanden, M.J.; Scholkmann, F. Exoplanet Predictions Based on Harmonic Orbit Resonances. Galaxies 2017, 5, 56.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Galaxies EISSN 2075-4434 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top