Next Article in Journal
Geophysical Characterization of Hydraulic Properties around a Managed Aquifer Recharge System over the Llobregat River Alluvial Aquifer (Barcelona Metropolitan Area)
Next Article in Special Issue
Water Footprint and Life Cycle Assessment: The Complementary Strengths of Analyzing Global Freshwater Appropriation and Resulting Local Impacts
Previous Article in Journal
Uptake and Recovery of Gold from Simulated Hydrometallurgical Liquors by Adsorption on Pine Bark Tannin Resin
Article

A Study on Water and Salt Transport, and Balance Analysis in Sand Dune–Wasteland–Lake Systems of Hetao Oases, Upper Reaches of the Yellow River Basin

1
College of Water Conservancy and Civil Engineering, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University, Hohhot 010018, China
2
High Efficiency Water-saving Technology and Equipment and Soil Water Environment Engineering Research Center of Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, Hohhot 010018, China
3
Faculty of Environmental Science and Technology, Okayama University, Okayama 700-8530, Japan
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Water 2020, 12(12), 3454; https://doi.org/10.3390/w12123454
Received: 1 November 2020 / Revised: 3 December 2020 / Accepted: 4 December 2020 / Published: 9 December 2020
Desert oases are important parts of maintaining ecohydrology. However, irrigation water diverted from the Yellow River carries a large amount of salt into the desert oases in the Hetao plain. It is of the utmost importance to determine the characteristics of water and salt transport. Research was carried out in the Hetao plain of Inner Mongolia. Three methods, i.e., water-table fluctuation (WTF), soil hydrodynamics, and solute dynamics, were combined to build a water and salt balance model to reveal the relationship of water and salt transport in sand dune–wasteland–lake systems. Results showed that groundwater level had a typical seasonal-fluctuation pattern, and the groundwater transport direction in the sand dune–wasteland–lake system changed during different periods. During the crop-growth period (5 May–27 October), the average evapotranspiration values of the sand dune, wasteland–sand dune junction, and wasteland were 31–42% of the reference evapotranspiration. The water consumption of sand dune was 1.95 times that of the wasteland–sand dune junction, and 1.88 times that of wasteland. Water loss of the lake was 761.25–869.05 mm (5 May–27 October). The lake is facing the risk of drying up. The vertical salt transport of groundwater at the sand-dune site was 1.13 times that at the wasteland–sand dune junction site, and 1.82 times that at the wasteland site. Of the groundwater salt of the sand dune, 54% was accumulated in the groundwater of the wasteland–sand dune junction. Of the groundwater salt of the wasteland–sand dune junction, 53% was accumulated in wasteland groundwater, and the remaining 47% was accumulated in the lake. Salt storage of the 1 m soil layer of the sand dune was 85% that of the wasteland–sand dune junction, and 82% that of the wasteland. Research results provide a theoretical basis for the ecohydrology of the Hetao plain. View Full-Text
Keywords: water balance; salt accumulation; different land types; water-table fluctuation; groundwater flow; salt transport water balance; salt accumulation; different land types; water-table fluctuation; groundwater flow; salt transport
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Wang, G.; Shi, H.; Li, X.; Yan, J.; Miao, Q.; Li, Z.; Akae, T. A Study on Water and Salt Transport, and Balance Analysis in Sand Dune–Wasteland–Lake Systems of Hetao Oases, Upper Reaches of the Yellow River Basin. Water 2020, 12, 3454. https://doi.org/10.3390/w12123454

AMA Style

Wang G, Shi H, Li X, Yan J, Miao Q, Li Z, Akae T. A Study on Water and Salt Transport, and Balance Analysis in Sand Dune–Wasteland–Lake Systems of Hetao Oases, Upper Reaches of the Yellow River Basin. Water. 2020; 12(12):3454. https://doi.org/10.3390/w12123454

Chicago/Turabian Style

Wang, Guoshuai, Haibin Shi, Xianyue Li, Jianwen Yan, Qingfeng Miao, Zhen Li, and Takeo Akae. 2020. "A Study on Water and Salt Transport, and Balance Analysis in Sand Dune–Wasteland–Lake Systems of Hetao Oases, Upper Reaches of the Yellow River Basin" Water 12, no. 12: 3454. https://doi.org/10.3390/w12123454

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop