Next Article in Journal
The Ecological Risk Assessment and the Chemical Speciation of Heavy Metals in Ash after the Incineration of Municipal Sewage Sludge
Previous Article in Journal
Utilizing Bots for Sustainable News Business: Understanding Users’ Perspectives of News Bots in the Age of Social Media
Open AccessFeature PaperReview

Bibliometric Analysis of Methods and Tools for Drought Monitoring and Prediction in Africa

1
Department of Information Technology, Central University of Technology, Free State, Private Bag X200539, Bloemfontein 9300, South Africa
2
South African Weather Service, Private Bag X097, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Sustainability 2020, 12(16), 6516; https://doi.org/10.3390/su12166516
Received: 15 July 2020 / Revised: 7 August 2020 / Accepted: 7 August 2020 / Published: 12 August 2020
(This article belongs to the Section Sustainable Agriculture)
The African continent has a long history of rainfall fluctuations of varying duration and intensities. This has led to varying degrees of drought conditions, triggering research interest across the continent. The research presented here is a bibliometric analysis of scientific articles on drought monitoring and prediction published in Africa. Scientific data analysis was carried out based on bibliometric mapping techniques applied to 332 scientific publications (1980 to 2020) retrieved from the Web of Science (WoS) and Scopus databases. In addition, time series of Standardized Precipitation Evapotranspiration Index for the previous 6 months (SPEI-6) over six regions in the continent was analysed giving the relative comparison of drought occurrences to the annual distribution of the scientific publications. The results revealed that agricultural and hydrological drought studies contributed about 75% of the total publications, while the remaining 25% was shared among socioeconomic and meteorological studies. Countries in the southern, western, and eastern regions of Africa led in terms of scientific publications during the period under review. The results further indicated that the continent experienced drought conditions in the years 1984, 1989, 1992, and 1997, thereby inducing an increase in the number of scientific publications on drought studies. The results show that the tools of analysis have also changed from simple statistics to the use of geospatial tools such as Remote Sensing (RS) and Geographical Information System (GIS) models, and recently Machine Learning (ML). The ML, particularly, contributed about 11% of the total scientific publications, while RS and GIS models, and basic statistical analysis account for about 44%, 20%, and 25% respectively. The integration of spatial technologies and ML are pivotal to the development of robust drought monitoring and drought prediction systems, especially in Africa, which is considered as a drought-prone continent. The research gaps presented in this study can help prospective researchers to respond to the continental and regional drought research needs. View Full-Text
Keywords: drought; monitoring; prediction; remote sensing; GIS; machine learning drought; monitoring; prediction; remote sensing; GIS; machine learning
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Adisa, O.M.; Masinde, M.; Botai, J.O.; Botai, C.M. Bibliometric Analysis of Methods and Tools for Drought Monitoring and Prediction in Africa. Sustainability 2020, 12, 6516.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Search more from Scilit
 
Search
Back to TopTop