Lessons Learned from the COVID-19 Pandemic Exposing the Shortcomings of Current Supply Chain Operations: A Long-Term Prescriptive Offering
1.1. Impact of COVID-19 on Businesses
1.2. How Businesses Are Transforming the Modern Supply Chain
1.2.1. Risk Management
Vertical Integration of Supply Chains
Decentralization of Manufacturing Capacity
Emphasis on Supply Chain Visibility
Localizing Supply Chains
Merging of B2B (Business-to-Business) and B2C (Business-to-Consumer)/Flexibility in Supply Chains
Managing Supply Shortfalls
1.2.2. Other Measures
1.3. Medical Supply Chain
1.4. Water–Energy–Food (WEF) Supply Chain
1.5. Predictions and Preparations for the Second Wave of COVID-19
1.5.1. Predictions for the Second Wave of COVID-19
1.5.2. Preparation for the Second Wave of COVID-19
Move towards a Fully Digital Supply Chain
1.6. Focus of Our Study and Composition of the Paper
2. Issue Analysis
2.1. Identified Issues
North American Medical Shortage
2.2. Supply Chain-Related Causes
2.2.1. Lack of Supply Chain Transparency Resulting in Hindered Decision Making
2.2.2. Reduced Diversification Resulting in Lack of Supply Chain Resilience
2.2.3. Unsustainable Just-In-Time Manufacturing
3.1. Nationalization of Medical Supply Chain
3.2. Adoption of “Plus One” Diversification Approach
3.3. Increasing Safety Stock
Conflicts of Interest
- Bloomberg. The Coronavirus Is Infecting the Global Economy. Here’s How. Available online: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-01-31/the-global-economy-is-getting-infected-by-the-virus (accessed on 31 January 2020).
- National Post. It’s Official: ‘Deeply Concerned’ WHO Declares the COVID-19 Outbreak a Global Pandemic. Available online: https://nationalpost.com/news/world/its-official-the-covid-19-outbreak-is-a-global-pandemic (accessed on 11 March 2020).
- Supply Chain Digital. Accenture: Building Supply Chain Resilience Amidst COVID-19. Available online: https://www.supplychaindigital.com/supply-chain-management/accenture-building-supply-chain-resilience-amidst-covid-19 (accessed on 2 April 2020).
- International Civil Aviation Organization. Economic Impacts of COVID-19 on Civil Aviation. Available online: https://www.icao.int/sustainability/Pages/Economic-Impacts-of-COVID-19.aspx (accessed on 29 June 2020).
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development. Global Trade Update. Available online: https://unctad.org/en/pages/newsdetails.aspx?OriginalVersionID=2392 (accessed on 11 June 2020).
- Hub. Johns Hopkins University. How Coronavirus Will Affect the Global Supply Chain. Available online: https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/06/covid-19-coronavirus-impacts-global-supply-chain/ (accessed on 6 March 2020).
- IMD. How Supply Chains Are Adapting to the COVID-19 Lockdowns. Available online: https://www.imd.org/research-knowledge/articles/supply-chains-adapting-to-covid-19/ (accessed on 25 March 2020).
- World Economic Forum. COVID-19 Threatens Global Supply Chains. We Must Act Now. Available online: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/global-supply-chains-are-under-imminent-threat-from-the-covid-19-pandemic/ (accessed on 5 May 2020).
- Vietnam Briefing. Q&A: COVID-19 and Response to Supply Chain Disruption in Vietnam. Available online: https://www.vietnam-briefing.com/news/qa-covid-19-response-supply-chain-disruption-vietnam.html/ (accessed on 18 May 2020).
- Vijay Govindarajan, G.B. As Covid-19 Disrupts Global Supply Chains, Will Companies Turn to India? Available online: https://hbr.org/2020/05/as-covid-19-disrupts-global-supply-chains-will-companies-turn-to-india (accessed on 25 May 2020).
- Oxford Business Group. The Impact of Covid-19 on Global Supply Chains. Available online: https://oxfordbusinessgroup.com/news/impact-covid-19-global-supply-chains (accessed on 24 April 2020).
- The Japan Times. Can the U.S. End China’s Control of the Global Supply Chain? Available online: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/06/09/business/u-s-china-global-supply-chain/ (accessed on 9 June 2020).
- AXA IM Singapore. The World’s Factory in COVID-19: Can China Secure its Supply Chain Kingdom? Available online: https://www.axa-im.com.sg/content/-/asset_publisher/FehknnI2EsIG/content/the-world-s-factory-in-covid-19-can-china-secure-its-supply-chain-kingdom-/26520 (accessed on 18 May 2020).
- The Japan Times. China Factory Output Rises. Available online: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/05/15/business/economy-business/china-factory-output-rises-april/ (accessed on 15 May 2020).
- Maplecroft. Pandemic Quickens Supply Chains Diversification Beyond China. Available online: https://www.maplecroft.com/insights/analysis/pandemic-quickens-diversification-of-supply-chains-beyond-china/ (accessed on 2 July 2020).
- Bakermckenzie. Beyond COVID-19: Supply Chain Resilience Holds Key to Recovery. Available online: https://www.bakermckenzie.com/-/media/files/insight/publications/2020/04/covid19-global-economy (accessed on 8 April 2020).
- Material Handling and Logistics. Impact of the Coronavirus on Global Supply Chain. Available online: https://www.mhlnews.com/global-supply-chain/article/21122993/impact-of-the-coronavirus-on-global-supply-chain (accessed on 14 February 2020).
- Medium. Are You Prepared to Manage A Whack-A-Mole Recovery? Available online: https://medium.com/mitsupplychain/are-you-prepared-to-manage-a-whack-a-mole-recovery-6b79127ad63a (accessed on 30 April 2020).
- World Economic Forum. Here’s How Global Supply Chains Will Change After COVID-19. Available online: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/05/this-is-what-global-supply-chains-will-look-like-after-covid-19/ (accessed on 6 May 2020).
- SGS.ME. The Effects of COVID-19 on Global Supply Chains: Short Term Pain but Potential Long Term Benefits. Available online: https://www.sgsme.sg/news/effects-covid-19-global-supply-chains-short-term-pain-potential-long-term-benefits (accessed on 14 May 2020).
- Source Today. The Impact of COVID on Global Supply Chain and Logistics. Available online: https://www.sourcetoday.com/supply-chain/article/21134577/the-impact-of-covid-on-global-supply-chain-and-logistics (accessed on 19 June 2020).
- Analytics. Keys to mitigating supply chain disruptions related to coronavirus. Analytics Magazine News, 2020. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Sheffi, Y. Who Gets What When Supply Chains Are Disrupted? MIT sloan Manag. Review. 2020. Available online: https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/who-gets-what-when-supply-chains-are-disrupted/ (accessed on 27 May 2020).
- Vietnam Briefing. COVID-19 and the Effects on Supply Chains in Vietnam. Available online: https://www.vietnam-briefing.com/news/covid-19-effects-supply-chains-vietnam.html/ (accessed on 24 June 2020).
- Deloitte. COVID-19: Managing Supply Chain Risk and Disruption. Available online: https://www2.deloitte.com/ca/en/pages/finance/articles/covid-19-managing-supply-chain-risk-and-disruption (accessed on 10 March 2020).
- Medium. How the Pandemic Could Remake Supply Chain’s Digital Future. Available online: https://medium.com/mitsupplychain/how-the-pandemic-could-remake-supply-chains-digital-future-83332a9847bd (accessed on 30 April 2020).
- Wuest, T.; Kusiak, A.; Dai, T.; Tayur, S.R. Impact of COVID-19 on Manufacturing and Supply Networks—The Case for AI-Inspired Digital Transformation. Available on SSRN 3593540 2020, 47, 3. Available online: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3593540 (accessed on 30 April 2020).
- MIT Center for Transportation and Logistics. Commentary: Solving the Health-Care Equipment Supply Shortage. Available online: https://www.wsj.com/articles/commentary-solving-the-health-care-equipment-supply-shortage-11586512801?mod=searchresults (accessed on 10 April 2020).
- MIT News. Supply Chain Outlook: Why the Situation Varies by Industry. Available online: http://news.mit.edu/2020/sheffi-global-supply-chain-covid-19-0325 (accessed on 25 March 2020).
- Vuuren, D.P.V.; Bijl, D.L.; Bogaart, P.; Stehfest, E.; Biemans, H.; Dekker, S.C.; Doelman, J.C.; Gernaat, D.E.H.J.; Harmsen, M. Integrated scenarios to support analysis of the food–energy–water nexus. Nat. Sustain. 2019, 2, 1132–1141. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- HuffPost. Experts Predict What A Second Wave of Coronavirus Will Be Like. Available online: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/experts-predict-second-wave-coronavirus_l_5ef0b6d8c5b639909d574e7c (accessed on 23 June 2020).
- South China Morning Post. Hong Kong Professor Calls for Genomic Sequencing of Every Covid-19 Case So Far. Available online: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3088602/coronavirus-hong-kong-goes-week-without-any-local (accessed on 11 June 2020).
- World Economic Forum. Coronavirus: What A Second Wave Might Look Like. Available online: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/06/coronavirus-second-wave/ (accessed on 4 June 2020).
- Cnet. Fauci: US Going in ‘Wrong Direction’ as Coronavirus Cases Rise. Available online: https://www.cnet.com/news/fauci-us-going-in-wrong-direction-as-coronavirus-cases-rise/ (accessed on 30 June 2020).
- Global Times. Protests, Work Resumption Add to Concern of 2nd COVID-19 Wave. Available online: https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1190978.shtml (accessed on 8 June 2020).
- Business Insider. Anthony Fauci Says There’s ‘Virtually No Chance’ the Coronavirus Will Disappear—3 Charts Predict What Future Waves of Cases Will Look Like. Available online: https://www.businessinsider.com/second-wave-of-coronavirus-infections-may-peak-in-fall-2020-5 (accessed on 14 May 2020).
- Forbes. Is Your Supply Chain Ready for A Second Wave of COVID-19? Available online: https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgebailey1/2020/06/02/is-your-supply-chain-ready-for-a-second-wave-of-covid-19/ (accessed on 2 June 2020).
- Abc News. How Food Producers Are Preparing for the 2nd Wave Of COVID-19. Available online: https://abcnews.go.com/Business/food-producers-preparing-2nd-wave-covid-19/story?id=71277758 (accessed on 17 June 2020).
- Treasury and Risk. 3 Steps to Prepare for Reopening-And for Covid-19’s Second Wave. Available online: https://www.treasuryandrisk.com/2020/06/30/3-steps-to-prepare-for-reopening-and-for-covid-19s-second-wave/?slreturn=20200606134508 (accessed on 30 June 2020).
- ChiefExecutive.net. Preparing Your Workforce for A Second Wave Of COVID-19. Available online: https://chiefexecutive.net/preparing-your-workforce-for-a-second-wave-of-covid-19/ (accessed on 8 May 2020).
- Cgnglobal. Multi-Tier Supply Chain Visibility. Available online: https://www.cgnglobal.com/blog/multi-tier-supply-chain-visibility (accessed on 17 February 2019).
- Kembro, J.; Näslund, D.; Olhager, J. Information sharing across multiple supply chain tiers: A Delphi study on antecedents. Int. J. Prod. Econ. 2017, 193, 77–86. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Supply Chain Dive. How Medical Supply Chains Can Diversify Beyond COVID-19. Available online: https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/coronavirus-health-pharma-medical-costdiversify/576021/ (accessed on 15 April 2020).
- Bateman, A.; Bonani, L. What Supply Chain Transparency Really Means. Harvard Bus. Rev. 2019. Available online: https://hbr.org/2019/08/what-supply-chain-transparency-really-means (accessed on 20 August 2019).
- Villena, V.H.; Gioia, D.A. A More Sustainable Supply Chain. Harvard Bus. Rev. 2020. Available online: https://hbr.org/2020/03/a-more-sustainable-supply-chain (accessed on 30 April 2020).
- World Economic Forum. COVID-19 Revealed the Need for A Globally-Connected Supply Chain. Available online: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/covid-19-globally-connected-supply-chain-system-interoperability-whitepaper/ (accessed on 17 April 2020).
- Omega Compliance. CASE STUDY: UNAUTHORIZED SUBCONTRACTING IN CHINESE SUPPLY CHAINS. Available online: https://www.omegacompliance.com/subcontracting/ (accessed on 5 April 2016).
- [email protected] Coronavirus and Supply Chain Disruption: What Firms Can Learn. Available online: https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/veeraraghavan-supply-chain/ (accessed on 17 March 2020).
- Vox. Could the Coronavirus Spark Drug Shortages in the US? Available online: https://www.vox.com/2020/3/9/21163356/coronavirus-drug-shortage-potential-fda-china-india (accessed on 9 March 2020).
- Supply Chain Dive. Today’s Supply Chains Are Too Lean. Available online: https://www.supplychaindive.com/news/lean-supply-chain-jit-inventory-covid-19/574693/ (accessed on 24 March 2020).
- National Post. Shock Proofing Canada: COVID-19 Makes it Clear We Must Repatriate PPE Production. Available online: https://nationalpost.com/opinion/shockproofing-canada-covid-19-makes-it-clear-we-must-repatriate-ppe-production (accessed on 17 April 2020).
- The National Law Review. Free for All, or All for One? The Medical Supply Chain and COVID-19. Available online: https://www.natlawreview.com/article/free-all-or-all-one-medical-supply-chain-and-covid-19 (accessed on 23 March 2020).
- Financial Post. Germany Would Like to Localize Supply Chains, Nationalization Possible—Minister. Available online: https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/germany-would-like-to-localize-supply-chains-nationalization-possible-minister (accessed on 13 March 2020).
- Yahoo. Murphy: Private Market Is Failing, Health Care Workers in ‘Absolute Panic’ Over Supply Shortages. Available online: https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/sen-murphy-private-sector-is-failing-healthcare-workers-in-absolute-panic-over-supply-shortages-224959580.html (accessed on 23 March 2020).
- Canada.ca. Guidance for Crown Corporations. Available online: https://www.canada.ca/en/treasury-board-secretariat/services/guidance-crown-corporations.html (accessed on 18 April 2019).
- CBC.ca. What are Crown Corporations and Why Do They Exist? Available online: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/what-are-crown-corporations-and-why-do-they-exist-1.1135699 (accessed on 1 April 2012).
- Enderwick, P. A ‘China-Plus-One’ strategy: The Best of Both Worlds? Hum. Syst. Manag. 2011, 30, 85–96. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- The Magazine of the British Chamber of Commerce in Japan. China Plus One. Available online: https://bccjacumen.com/china-plus-one/ (accessed on 17 May 2011).
- Arrell Food Institute. COVID-19: The Perils of A ‘Just Enough, Just in Time’ Food System. Available online: https://arrellfoodinstitute.ca/covid-19-food-system/ (accessed on 16 March 2020).
© 2020 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Share and Cite
Zhu, G.; Chou, M.C.; Tsai, C.W. Lessons Learned from the COVID-19 Pandemic Exposing the Shortcomings of Current Supply Chain Operations: A Long-Term Prescriptive Offering. Sustainability 2020, 12, 5858. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12145858
Zhu G, Chou MC, Tsai CW. Lessons Learned from the COVID-19 Pandemic Exposing the Shortcomings of Current Supply Chain Operations: A Long-Term Prescriptive Offering. Sustainability. 2020; 12(14):5858. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12145858Chicago/Turabian Style
Zhu, Guiyang, Mabel C. Chou, and Christina W. Tsai. 2020. "Lessons Learned from the COVID-19 Pandemic Exposing the Shortcomings of Current Supply Chain Operations: A Long-Term Prescriptive Offering" Sustainability 12, no. 14: 5858. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12145858