Next Article in Journal
Long-Term Ground Settlements over Mined-Out Region Induced by Railway Construction and Operation
Next Article in Special Issue
The Synergy in the Economic Production System: An Empirical Study with Chinese Industry
Previous Article in Journal
Green Marketing’s Roles in Sustainability and Ecopreneurship. Case Study: Green Packaging’s Impact on Romanian Young Consumers’ Environmental Responsibility
Previous Article in Special Issue
The Impact of Educational Investment on Sustainable Economic Growth in Guangdong, China: A Cointegration and Causality Analysis
Open AccessArticle

Environmental Performance Evaluation of the Korean Manufacturing Industry Based on Sequential DEA

1
Senior Researcher, East Asia Environment Research Center, Inha University, Inharo100, Nam-Gu, Incheon 402-751, Korea
2
Department of International Trade, Inha University, Inharo100, Nam-Gu, Incheon 402-751, Korea
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Sustainability 2019, 11(3), 874; https://doi.org/10.3390/su11030874
Received: 10 December 2018 / Revised: 2 February 2019 / Accepted: 5 February 2019 / Published: 7 February 2019
This study’s aim is to examine the environmental performance of the South Korean manufacturing industry and suggest performance-oriented policies. The manufacturing industry is classified into seven sub-sectors based on individual sectoral differences among firms. For this purpose, a sequential generalized directional distance function and the Sequential Malmquist-Luenburger (SML) index are used with the assumption of no deterioration in technology over time. The SML is decomposed into two indices: efficiency change (EC) and technical change (TC). The empirical results showed an average increase of 0.3% in environmental productivity measured by the SML over the whole period. Although the overall average value is low, it showed a 0.8% increase after 2015, implying that ETS policy has enhanced environmental productivity. From the decomposition of the SML, it was also found that the EC index (−1.1%) was comparatively lower than the TC index (1.5%) over seven years, implying that the innovation effect leads the environmental productivity of the Korean manufacturing industry. With regard to individual sectors, the seven sub-sectors showed quite different patterns in their performance. Therefore, not only should firms in each sector make an effort to enhance their performance, but the government also needs to support specialized measures to enhance firms’ overall competitiveness. View Full-Text
Keywords: manufacturing industry; sectoral classification; Sequential DEA; environmental productivity; catching-up effect; innovation effect; customizing policy; Korea manufacturing industry; sectoral classification; Sequential DEA; environmental productivity; catching-up effect; innovation effect; customizing policy; Korea
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Lee, H.S.; Choi, Y. Environmental Performance Evaluation of the Korean Manufacturing Industry Based on Sequential DEA. Sustainability 2019, 11, 874.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Search more from Scilit
 
Search
Back to TopTop