Next Article in Journal
Too Many Treats or Not Enough to Eat? The Impact of Caregiving Grandparents on Child Food Security and Nutrition
Previous Article in Journal
Anatomical Classification for Plantaris Tendon Insertion and Its Clinical Implications: A Cadaveric Study
Previous Article in Special Issue
Oral Function and Eating Habit Problems in People with Down Syndrome
Article

Baby Food and Oral Health: Knowledge of the Existing Interaction

Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Sciences, Sapienza University of Rome, 00185 Rome, Italy
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: Fawad Javed
Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2022, 19(10), 5799; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19105799
Received: 12 April 2022 / Revised: 6 May 2022 / Accepted: 6 May 2022 / Published: 10 May 2022
Background: The purpose of this study is to verify parents’ knowledge of child nutrition and their awareness of the interaction between unhealthy sugars in their child’s diet and caries formation. Methods: a questionnaire was proposed using Instagram to analyze type of breastfeeding; type of weaning and diet; home oral hygiene maneuvers; bad habits (use of pacifiers, bottles, and sugary substances); knowledge on the usefulness of fluoride; and first dental visit. A total of 200 parents from different regions of Italy with children aged 2 months to 6 years were contacted. Results showed that 66% parents preferred breastfeeding, while the remaining 34% chose artificial breastfeeding. Fifty percent (100 babies) started weaning at six months, 20% (40 babies) at the fifth month, 13.5% (27 babies) at the fourth month, and only 11.5% (23 babies) in a range from the seventh to ninth month of life. Oral hygiene practices were performed only by 25% of parents before eruption of the first tooth. After eruption of the first tooth, there is greater attention to home oral hygiene practices: 59% of parents carry out and teach their children daily home oral hygiene maneuvers. Conclusions: it is possible to raise awareness among parents and caregivers on the importance of food education. View Full-Text
Keywords: oral health; diet; baby food; oral health and nutrition oral health; diet; baby food; oral health and nutrition
Show Figures

Figure A1

MDPI and ACS Style

Fioravanti, M.; Di Giorgio, G.; Amato, R.; Bossù, M.; Luzzi, V.; Ierardo, G.; Polimeni, A.; Vozza, I. Baby Food and Oral Health: Knowledge of the Existing Interaction. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2022, 19, 5799. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19105799

AMA Style

Fioravanti M, Di Giorgio G, Amato R, Bossù M, Luzzi V, Ierardo G, Polimeni A, Vozza I. Baby Food and Oral Health: Knowledge of the Existing Interaction. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2022; 19(10):5799. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19105799

Chicago/Turabian Style

Fioravanti, Miriam, Gianni Di Giorgio, Roberta Amato, Maurizio Bossù, Valeria Luzzi, Gaetano Ierardo, Antonella Polimeni, and Iole Vozza. 2022. "Baby Food and Oral Health: Knowledge of the Existing Interaction" International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 19, no. 10: 5799. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph19105799

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop