Next Article in Journal
Study of a Controlled Piezoelectric Damper
Previous Article in Journal
Real-Time Implementation of Multiband Spectrum Sensing Using SDR Technology
Article

Can Local Geographically Restricted Measurements Be Used to Recover Missing Geo-Spatial Data?

1
Department of Informatics, Faculty of Science, University of Split, 21000 Split, Croatia
2
Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, Šetalište I. Meštrovića 63, 21000 Split, Croatia
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: Andrzej Stateczny
Sensors 2021, 21(10), 3507; https://doi.org/10.3390/s21103507
Received: 22 April 2021 / Revised: 11 May 2021 / Accepted: 11 May 2021 / Published: 18 May 2021
(This article belongs to the Section Remote Sensors)
The experiments conducted on the wind data provided by the European Centre for Medium-range Weather Forecasts show that 1% of the data is sufficient to reconstruct the other 99% with an average amplitude error of less than 0.5 m/s and an average angular error of less than 5 degrees. In a nutshell, our method provides an approach where a portion of the data is used as a proxy to estimate the measurements over the entire domain based only on a few measurements. In our study, we compare several machine learning techniques, namely: linear regression, K-nearest neighbours, decision trees and a neural network, and investigate the impact of sensor placement on the quality of the reconstruction. While methods provide comparable results the results show that sensor placement plays an important role. Thus, we propose that intelligent location selection for sensor placement can be done using k-means, and show that this indeed leads to increase in accuracy as compared to random sensor placement. View Full-Text
Keywords: data reconstruction; machine learning; neural networks; missing data; spatio/temporal resolution; interpolation; reanalisys data reconstruction; machine learning; neural networks; missing data; spatio/temporal resolution; interpolation; reanalisys
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Kalinić, H.; Bilokapić, Z.; Matić, F. Can Local Geographically Restricted Measurements Be Used to Recover Missing Geo-Spatial Data? Sensors 2021, 21, 3507. https://doi.org/10.3390/s21103507

AMA Style

Kalinić H, Bilokapić Z, Matić F. Can Local Geographically Restricted Measurements Be Used to Recover Missing Geo-Spatial Data? Sensors. 2021; 21(10):3507. https://doi.org/10.3390/s21103507

Chicago/Turabian Style

Kalinić, Hrvoje, Zvonimir Bilokapić, and Frano Matić. 2021. "Can Local Geographically Restricted Measurements Be Used to Recover Missing Geo-Spatial Data?" Sensors 21, no. 10: 3507. https://doi.org/10.3390/s21103507

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop