Decision-Making in COVID-19 and Frailty
1. Frailty Is a Spectrum and Is Not a Binary Phenomenon
2. Younger Adults May Be Frail, Whilst Older Adults May Not Be
3. Frailty Does Not Define Futility
Conflicts of Interest
- COVID-19 Rapid Guideline: Critical Care in Adults; NICE Guideline [NG159]. 2020. Available online: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng159/chapter/1-Admission-to-hospital (accessed on 20 April 2020).
- Royal College of Physicians. Supporting Implementation of NICE Critical Care Guidelines (NG159). Available online: https://www.criticalcarenice.org.uk/ (accessed on 20 April 2020).
- Basic, D.; Shanley, C. Frailty in an older inpatient population: Using the clinical frailty scale to predict patient outcomes. J. Aging Health 2015, 27, 670–685. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Hewitt, J.; Carter, B.; McCarthy, K.; Pearce, L.; Law, J.; Wilson, F.V.; Tay, H.S.; McCormack, C.; Stechman, M.J.; Moug, S.J.; et al. Frailty predicts mortality in all emergency surgical admissions regardless of age. An observational study. Age Ageing 2019, 48, 388–394. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Older Persons Surgical Outcomes Collaborative (OPSOC). COPE Study: COVID-19 in Older People. Royal College of Surgeons Covid Research Group. Available online: https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/coronavirus/rcs-covid-research-group/ (accessed on 20 April 2020).
- Smart, R.; Carter, B.; McGovern, J.; Luckman, S.; Connelly, A.; Hewitt, J.; Quasim, T.; Moug, S.J. Frailty Exists in Younger Adults Admitted as Surgical Emergency Leading to Adverse Outcomes. Frailty Aging 2017, 6, 219–223. [Google Scholar]
© 2020 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Moug, S.; Carter, B.; Myint, P.K.; Hewitt, J.; McCarthy, K.; Pearce, L. Decision-Making in COVID-19 and Frailty. Geriatrics 2020, 5, 30. https://doi.org/10.3390/geriatrics5020030
Moug S, Carter B, Myint PK, Hewitt J, McCarthy K, Pearce L. Decision-Making in COVID-19 and Frailty. Geriatrics. 2020; 5(2):30. https://doi.org/10.3390/geriatrics5020030Chicago/Turabian Style
Moug, Susan, Ben Carter, Phyo Kyaw Myint, Jonathan Hewitt, Kathryn McCarthy, and Lyndsay Pearce. 2020. "Decision-Making in COVID-19 and Frailty" Geriatrics 5, no. 2: 30. https://doi.org/10.3390/geriatrics5020030