2. Theoretical Context
2.2. Organizational Culture
2.3. Media Framing
3. Data and Methods
3.1. Data Collection Process
3.3. Case Descriptions
3.4. Analytical Strategy
4. Results, Discussion, and Limitations
5. Conclusions and Recommendations for Future Research
5.2. Recommendations for Future Research
Conflicts of Interest
- Anderson, Craig A., and Brad J. Bushman. 2000. The effects of media violence on society. Science 395: 2377–79. Available online: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/295/5564/2377.full (accessed on 14 November 2017). [CrossRef]
- Bennett, W. Lance. 1995. News: The Politics of Illusion. New York: Longman, ISBN 978-0226340524. [Google Scholar]
- Bing, Janet M., and Lucien X. Lombardo. 1997. Talking past each other about sexual harassment: An exploration of frames for understanding. Discourse & Society 8: 293–311. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Capella, Michael L., Ronald Paul Hill, Justine M. Rapp, and Jeremy Kees. 2013. The impact of violence against women in advertisements. Journal of Advertising 39: 37–52. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Carlsson, Christoffer. 2013. Masculinities, persistence, and desistance. Criminology 51: 661–93. Available online: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1745-9125.12016/full (accessed on 16 November 2017). [CrossRef]
- Castro, Carl Andrew, Sara Kintzle, Ashley C. Schuyler, Carrie L. Lucas, and Christopher H. Warner. 2015. Sexual assault in the military. Current Psychiatry Reports 17: 1–13. Available online: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11920-015-0596-7 (accessed on 13 November 2017). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Cheney, Ann M., Heather Schact Reisinger, Brenda M. Booth, Michelle A. Mengeling, James C. Torner, and Anne G. Sadler. 2014. Servicewomen’s Strategies to Staying Safe during Military Service. New York: Springer Science + Business Media, ISBN 1098-092X. [Google Scholar]
- Chesebro, James W. 1984. The media reality: Epistemological functions of media in cultural systems. Critical Studies in Mass Communication 1: 111–30. Available online: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15295038409360024 (accessed on 14 November 2017). [CrossRef]
- Cohen, Jacob. 1960. A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales. Educational and Psychological Measurement 23: 37–40. Available online: http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/classics1986/A1986AXF2600001.pdf (accessed on 17 November 2017). [CrossRef]
- Dalton, Colleen. 2004. The sexual assault crisis in the United States air force academy. Cardozo Women’s Law Journal 11: 177–90. Available online: http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/cardw11&div=13&id=&page= (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Dao, James. 2012. Instructor for Air Force is convicted in sex assaults. The New York Times. July 21. Available online: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/21/us/lackland-air-force-base-instructor-guilty-of-sex-assaults.html (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Dean, Donna Margaret. 1994. Warriors without Weapons: The Victimization of Military Women. Pasadena: Minerva Center, pp. 1352–62. ISBN 978-0963489531. [Google Scholar]
- Defense Annual Report. 2011. Department of Defense Annual Report on Sexual Assault in the Military Fiscal Year 2011. Available online: http://www.sapr.mil/public/docs/reports/Department_of_Defense_Fiscal_Year_2011_Annual_Report_on_Sexual_Assault_in_the_Military.pdf (accessed on 13 April 2018).
- Defense Annual Report. 2016. Department of Defense Annual Report on Sexual Assault in the Military Fiscal Year 2016. Available online: http://www.sapr.mil/public/docs/reports/FY16_Annual/FY16_SAPRO_Annual_Report.pdf (accessed on 12 April 2018).
- Denison, Daniel R., and Aneil K. Mishra. 1995. Toward a theory of organizational culture and effectiveness. Organization Science 1: 204–23. Available online: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1534484309333619 (accessed on 16 November 2017). [CrossRef]
- Entman, Robert M. 1993. Framing: Toward clarification of a fractured paradigm. Journal of Communication 43: 51–58. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Esterberg, Kristin G. 2002. Qualitative Methods in Social Research. New York: McGraw-Hill Education, ISBN 978-0767415606. [Google Scholar]
- Flick, Uwe. 2014. Qualitative content analysis. In The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Data Analysis. London: SAGE Publications Ltd., pp. 170–83. ISBN 978-1446208984. [Google Scholar]
- Fowler, Tillie K. 2003. Report of the Panel to Review Sexual Misconduct Allegations at the U.S. Air Force Academy; Washington: Department of Defense Publishing Office.
- Franiuk, Renae, Jennifer L. Seefelt, and Joseph A. Vandello. 2008. Prevalence of rape myths in headlines and their effects on attitudes toward rape. Sex Roles 58: 790–801. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Graber, Doris. 1993. Mass Media and American Politics. Washington: CQ Press, ISBN 978-1452287287. [Google Scholar]
- Great Stories. 2013. A Year in Review: Great Stories of 2013. Available online: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/collection/the-best-of-2013/?utm_term=.4da6377ff1b4 (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Holland, Kathryn J., Verónica Caridad Rabelo, and Lilia M. Cortina. 2014. Sexual assault training in the military: Evaluating efforts to end the “Invisible War”. American Journal of Community Psychology 54: 289–303. Available online: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1007/s10464-014-9672-0/full (accessed on 14 November 2017).
- Hsieh, Hsiu-Fang, and Sarah E. Shannon. 2005. Three approaches to qualitative content analysis. Qualitative Health Research 15: 1277–88. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Iyengar, Shanto. 1987. Television news and citizens’ explanations of national affairs. American Political Science Review 81: 815–31. Available online: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1962678?origin=crossref&seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents (accessed on 16 November 2017).
- Iyengar, Shanto. 1991. Is Anyone Responsible?: How Television Frames Political Issues. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, ISBN 978-0226388557. [Google Scholar]
- Iyengar, Shanto, and Adam Simon. 1993. News coverage of the Gulf crisis and public opinion: A study of agenda-setting, priming, and framing. Communication Research 15: 1277–88. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Janofsky, Michael, and Diana Jean Schemo. 2003. Women recount life as cadets: Forced sex, fear and silent rage. The New York Times. March 16. Available online: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/16/us/women-recount-life-as-cadets-forced-sex-fear-and-silent-rage.html (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Jozkowski, Kristen N. 2015. Beyond the Dyad: An assessment of sexual assault prevention education focused on social determinants of sexual assault among college students. Violence against Women 21: 848–74. Available online: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1077801215584069 (accessed on 13 November 2017). [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Kasinsky, Renee Goldsmith. 1998. Tailhook and the construction of sexual harassment in the media. Violence Against Women 4: 81–99. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Katz, Jackson. 1995. Reconstructing masculinity in the locker room: The mentors in violence prevention project. Harvard Educational Review 65: 163–74. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Kohlbacher, Florian. 2006. The use of qualitative content analysis in case study research. Forum: Qualitative Social Research 7: 1–30. Available online: http://www.qualitative-research.net/index.php/fqs/article/view/75/153 (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Krakauer, Jon. 2015. Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town. New York: Doubleday, ISBN 0385538731. [Google Scholar]
- Kuypers, Jim A. 2002. Press Bias and Politics: How the Media Frame Controversial Issues. Westport and Santa Barbara: Praeger Publishers, ISBN 978-0275977597. [Google Scholar]
- Lohman, Alexandra. 2015. Silence of the lambs: Giving voice to the problem of rape and sexual assault in the United States armed forces. Northwestern Journal of Law and Social Policy 10: 230–79. Available online: http://scholarlycommons.law.northwestern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1124&context=njlsp (accessed on 16 November 2017).
- Matthes, Jörg, and Matthias Kohring. 2008. The content analysis of media frames: Toward improving reliability and validity. Journal of Communication 58: 258–79. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- McKeon, Howard Buck. 2013. A Review of Sexual Misconduct by Basic Training Instructors at Lackland Air Force Base; Washington: United States Government Printing Office.
- Messerschmidt, James W. 1993. Masculinities and Crime: Critique and Reconceptualization of Theory. Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., ISBN 978-0847678693. [Google Scholar]
- Neill, Kevin Gerard. 2000. Duty, honor, rape: Sexual assault against women during war. Journal of International Women’s Studies 2: 43–51. Available online: http://vc.bridgew.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1642&context=jiws (accessed on 16 November 2017).
- Neuman, W. Russell, Marion R. Just, and Ann N. Crigler. 1992. Common Knowledge. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, ISBN 978-0226574400. [Google Scholar]
- News Media. 2017. The State of the News Media. Available online: http://www.stateofthemedia.org (accessed on 20 March 2017).
- Nicoletti, John, Christopher M. Bollinger, and Sally Spencer-Thomas. 2009. Violence Goes to College: The Authoritative Guide to Prevention and Intervention, 2nd ed. Springfield: Charles C. Thomas, Ltd., ISBN 978-0-3980-7909-3. [Google Scholar]
- Polk, Steven. 2004. Report to the SECAF: Air Force Inspector General Summary Report Concerning the Handling of Sexual Assault Cases at the United States Air Force Academy; Washington: USAF Office of the Inspector General.
- Rosen, Leora N., and Lee Martin. 1998. Predictors of tolerance of sexual harassment among male U.S. Army Soldiers. Violence against Women 4: 491–504. Available online: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/1077801298004004006 (accessed on 14 November 2017). [CrossRef]
- Ryan, Michael. 2004. Framing the war against terrorism: US newspaper editorials and military action in afghanistan. Journal for Communication Studies 66: 363–82. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Scandal. 2012. Scandal Casts a Pall at Air Force Base in Texas; Claims at Lackland Include Inappropriate Posts, Rapes. Available online: http://www.pressreader.com/usa/usa-today-us-edition/20120720/281513633273572 (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Schein, Edgar H. 1990. Organizational cultur. American Psychologist 45: 109–19. Available online: http://psycnet.apa.org/fulltext/1990-15978-001.html (accessed on 16 November 2017). [CrossRef]
- Schein, Edgar H. 2010. Organizational Culture and Leadership, 4th ed. San Francisco: John Wiley & Sons, ISBN 978-0-470-18586-5. [Google Scholar]
- Schemo, Diana Jean. 2003a. Air Force ignored sex abuse at academy, inquiry reports. The New York Times. September 23. Available online: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/23/us/air-force-ignored-sex-abuse-at-academy-inquiry-reports.html (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Schemo, James. 2003b. Air Force Secretary says academy’s leaders could be punished in rape scandal. The New York Times. April 2. Available online: http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/02/us/air-force-secretary-says-academy-s-leaders-could-be-punished-in-rape-scandal.html (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Semetko, Holli A., and Patti M. Valkenburg. 2000. Framing european politics: A content analysis of press and television news. Journal of Communication, 93–109. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Sergeant. 1997. Sergeant Convicted of 18 Counts of Raping Female Subordinates. Available online: http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/30/us/sergeant-convicted-of-18-counts-of-raping-female-subordinates.html (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Sergeant’s Lawyers. 1997. Sergeant’s Lawyers Start Case by Accusing 2 of His Accuser. Available online: http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/22/us/sergeant-s-lawyers-start-case-by-accusing-2-of-his-accusers.html (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Sex Charges. 1997. 5 Women Say Sex Charges in Army Case Were Coerced. Available online: http://www.nytimes.com/1997/03/12/us/5-women-say-sex-charges-in-army-case-were-coerced.html (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Sexual Assault in the Military. 2013. U.S. Commission on Civil Rights 2013 Statutory Enforcement Report. Available online: http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/09242013_Statutory_Enforcement_Report_Sexual_Assault_in_the_Military.pdf (accessed on 12 April 2018).
- Sexual Violence. 2017. Sexual Violence in the Military: A Guide for Civilian Advocates. Available online: http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/publications_nsvrc_guides_sexual-violence-in-the-military-a-guide-for-civilian-advocates.pdf (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Simons, Ronald L., and Callie Harbin Burt. 2011. Learning to be bad: Adverse social conditions, social schemas, and crime. Criminology 49: 553–98. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Soldier. 1997. Soldier Tells about Threat after Rape. Available online: http://www.nytimes.com/1997/04/18/us/soldier-tells-about-threat-after-rape.html (accessed on 17 November 2017).
- Taylor, Bryan C., Lisa R. Irvin, and Stacey M. Wieland. 2006. Checking the map: Critiquing Joanne Martin’s metatheory of organizational culture and its uses in communication research. Communication Theory 16: 304–32. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- USA Today. 2017. Marine Nude Photos a Leadership Disaster: Tailhook Whistle-Blower. Available online: http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/03/09/military-failing-women-decades-paula-coughlin-column/98909892/ (accessed on 9 March 2017).
- Weitz, Rose. 2015. Vulnerable warriors: Military women, military culture, and fear of rape. Gender Issues 32: 164–83. Available online: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12147-015-9137-2 (accessed on 16 November 2017). [CrossRef]
- West, Togo. 1997. Secretary of the Army’s Senior Review Panel Report on Sexual Harassment; Washington: Department of Defense.
- Wilds, Nancy G. 1999. Sexual Harassment in the Military. Pasadena: Minerva Center, Inc. [Google Scholar]
- Zaleski, Kristen. 2016. Understanding and Treating Military Sexual Trauma. New York: Springer International Publishing, ISBN 2195-2264. [Google Scholar]
- Zaleski, Kristen L., Kristin K. Gundersen, Jessica Baes, Ely Estupinian, and Alyssa Vergara. 2016. Exploring rape culture in social media forums. Computers in Human Behavior 63: 922–27. Available online: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0747563216304642?via%3Dihub (accessed on 14 November 2017). [CrossRef]
Exceptions include Kasinsky (1998) who studied the Tailhook sexual assault scandal and analyzed how media framed the case from the first national report to the aftereffects, including Congressional response. Findings from the study indicated gender norms such as the “boys will be boys” rhetoric were highly reinforced among media coverage of the incident (Kasinsky 1998).
|Frames with Questions||Aberdeen−1 to 1||USAFA −1 to 1||Lackland −1 to 1|
|1. Human Interest|
|Does the story employ adjectives or personal vignettes that generate feelings of outrage, empathy, caring, sympathy or compassion?||0.593||0.619||0.755|
|Does the story emphasize how individuals and groups are affected by the issue/problem?||0.573||0.597||0.876|
|Does the story go into the private or personal lives of the actors?||0.19||1.00||1.00|
|Does the story suggest that some level of government is responsible for the issue/problem?||0.634||0.505||0.150|
|Does the story suggest that an individual or group of people in society is responsible to the issue/problem?||0.525||0.595||0.717|
|Does the story suggest that some level of government has the ability to alleviate the problem?||0.544||0.549||0.866|
|Does the story refer to two sides or more?||0.268||1.00||1.00|
|Does the story reflect disagreement between parties?||0.528||0.651||0.723|
|Does the story describe winners and losers?||0.468||1.00||1.00|
|Does the story offer special social prescriptions about how to behave?||0.298||0.657||0.764|
|Does the story suggest that a party/parties acted appropriately?||0.274||0.466||1.00|
|Does the story suggest that a party/parties acted inappropriately?||0.526||0.695||1.00|
|Does the story suggest that the problem requires an urgent immediate action?||0.511||0.484||1.00|
|Does the story suggest actions that should be taken?||0.511||0.746||0.717|
|Does the study suggest that there was an action applied as a response to the problem?||0.648||0.510||0.866|
© 2018 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).