- freely available
Water 2014, 6(10), 2898-2928; https://doi.org/10.3390/w6102898
2. Relevant Geographic, Historic and Economic Background
2.1. Water Stress and Scarcity
3. Water Demand
3.1. Sources of Water Supply
3.2. Water Quality
4. Institutional Framework
Water Framework Directive
5. Water Management
6. Water Policy of Cyprus
Conflicts of Interest
- World Water Day (2007)—Coping with Water Scarcity, Challenge of the Twenty First Century. Available online: http://www.fao.org/nr/water/docs/escarcity.pdf (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Falkenmark, M.; Berntell, A.; Jägerskog, A.; Lundqvist, J.; Matz, M.; Tropp, H. On the Verge of a New Water Scarcity: A Call for Good Governance and Human Ingenuity; SIWI Policy Brief; Stockholm International Water Institute: Stockholm, Sweden, 2007. [Google Scholar]
- Hatami, H.; Gleick, P.H. Water, war, and peace in the Middle East. Environment 1994, 36, 6–15. [Google Scholar]
- Starr, J.R. Water wars. Foreign Policy 1991, 82, 17–36. [Google Scholar]
- Bixio, D. Cyprus without Water? One Island, One Problem and Some Related Challenges; European Commission: Brussels, Belgium, 2008. [Google Scholar]
- Raso, J. Updated Report on Wastewater Reuse in the European Union; European Commission: Brussels, Belgium, April 2013. [Google Scholar]
- Ohlsson, L.; Turton, A.R. The Turning of a Screw: Social Resource Scarcity as a Bottle-Neck in Adaption to Water Scarcity. Available online: https://www.soas.ac.uk/water/publications/papers/file38362.pdf (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Chave, P. The EU Water Framework Directive: An Introduction; International Water Association Publishing: London, UK, 2001. [Google Scholar]
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change—AR4. Available online: http://www.ipcc.ch/ (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Christensen, J.H.; Christensen, O.B. A summary of the PRUDENCE model projections of changes in European climate by the end of this century. Clim. Chang. 2007, 81, 7–30. [Google Scholar]
- Giorgi, F. Climate change hot-spots. Geophys. Res. Lett. 2006, 33. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Gao, X.; Giorgi, F. Increased aridity in the Mediterranean region under greenhouse gas forcing estimated from high resolution regional climate projections. Glob. Planet Chang. 2008, 62, 195–209. [Google Scholar]
- Zachariades, T. Residential water scarcity in Cyprus: Impact of climate change and policy options. Water 2010, 2, 788–814. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Zoumides, C. Virtual Water Trade and the Water Footprint of Cyprus: Alternative Tools in Managing Water Resources. Master’s Thesis, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK, December 2008. [Google Scholar]
- Water Development Department (WDD)—Annual Report 2012. Available online: http://www.cyprus.gov.cy/moa/wdd/wdd.nsf/All/7CE27F150F36B001C2257B7A00297B82/$file/GRAND%20FINAL-ENGLISH-2012.pdf?OpenElement (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- International Monetary Fund (IMF)—World Economic Outlook Database. Available online: http://www.imf.org/external/country/cyp (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- World Bank Group Homepage. Available online: http://www.worldbank.org (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Cystat. Agriculture Statistics; Cyprus Statistical Service: Nicosia, Cyprus, 2007. [Google Scholar]
- Vörösmarty, C.J.; Green, P.; Salisbury, J.; Lammers, R.B. Global water resources: Vulnerability from climate change and population growth. Science 2000, 289, 284–288. [Google Scholar] [PubMed]
- Kummu, M.; Ward, P.J.; de Moel, H.; Varis, O. Is physical water scarcity a new phenomenon? Global assessment of water shortage over the last two millennia. Environ. Res. Lett. 2010, 5. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Boufaroua, M.; Albalawneh, A.; Oweis, T. Assessing the efficiency of grey water reuse at household level and its suitability for sustainable rural and human development. Br. J. Appl. Sci. Technol. 2013, 3, 962–972. [Google Scholar]
- Water Balance for Cyprus. Available online: http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/wdd/Wdd.nsf/balance_en/balance_en?OpenDocument (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Water Development Department Homepage. Available online: http://www.moa.gov.cy (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Hochstrat, R.; Kazner, C. Flexibility of Coping with Water Stress and Integration of Different Measures; Case Study Report Cyprus of European Commission Funded Project Technology Enabled Universal Access to Safe Water (TECHNEAU): Brussels, Belgium, 2009. [Google Scholar]
- Pashiardis, S. Trends of precipitation in Cyprus rainfall analysis for agricultural planning. In Proceedings of the 1st Technical Workshop of the Mediterranean Component of CLIMAGRI Project on Climate Change and Agriculture, Rome, Italy, 25–27 September 2002.
- Meteorological Service—Cyprus Average Annual Precipitation Report, 1901–2011. Available online: http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/ms/ms.nsf/DMLclimet_reports_en/DMLclimet_reports_en?opendocument (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Giannakopoulos, C.; le Sager, P.; Bindi, M.; Moriondo, M.; Kostopoulou, E.; Goodess, C.M. Climatic changes and associated impacts in the Mediterranean resulting from a 2 °C global warming. Glob. Planet Chang. 2009, 68, 209–224. [Google Scholar]
- Cassardo, C.; Jones, J.A.A. Managing water in a changing world. Water 2011, 3, 618–628. [Google Scholar]
- Socratous, G. Management of Water in Cyprus. Available online: http://www.moa.gov.cy/moa/wdd/WDD.nsf/0/8178831B22DD87F2C2256EAC0038E2CE/$file/Pages%201-9.pdf (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Panayi, A. Use of a public perceptions study to assist policy making for reclaimed water reuse. In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Environmental Science and Technology, Athens, Greece, 5–7 September 2013.
- Cystat. Demographic Report; Cyprus Statistical Service: Nicosia, Cyprus, 2012. [Google Scholar]
- Artemis, C. Country report, Cyprus. In Proceedings of the Conference of the Water Directors of the Euro-Mediterranean and South-eastern European Countries, Athens, Greece, 6–7 November 2006.
- Wulf, K. Reassessment of the Islands Water Resources and Demand; Synthesis Report FAO/WDD TCP/CYP/2801; Ministry of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment of the Republic of Cyprus: Nicosia, Cyprus, June 2002. [Google Scholar]
- Demetriou, C.; Georgiou, A. Management of groundwater resources in Cyprus—Harmonisation with the EU Water Framework Directive. In Proceedings of the BALWOIS 2004 Ohrid, FY Republic of Macedonia, 25–29 May 2004.
- Water Framework Directive (WFD)—Annual Report. Ministry of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment of Republic of Cyprus: Nicosia, Cyprus, 2005.
- Water Development Department (WDD)—Annual Report 2013. Available online: http://www.cyprus.gov.cy/moa/WDD/WDD.nsf/All/0C2D1E1836A2F4FCC2257CE7002C8173/$file/Etisia_en_2013.pdf?OpenElement (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Meeting of the Cyprus Institute for the Cogeneration of Electricity and Desalinated Water Using Solar Energy. Simerini Newspaper, 21 August 2010; 37. (In Greek)
- Thrasivoulou, P.; Patsalosavvis, K.; Zafirakou, A. Water supply management in Cyprus under climate uncertainty. In Proceedings of the International Conference Adapt to Climate, Nicosia, Cyprus, 27–28 March 2014.
- Water Development Department (WDD)—Annual Report 2009. Available online: http://www.cyprus.gov.cy/moa/wdd/wdd.nsf/All/1FDEC883CE0C6483C22577B300267FDE/$file/Annual_2009.pdf?OpenElement (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Birol, E.; Koundouri, P.; Kountouris, Y. Farmer’s demand for recycled wastewater in Cyprus: A contingent valuation approach. In Wastewater Reuse–Risk Assessment, Decision-Making and Environmental Security; Zaidi, M.K., Ed.; Springer Netherlands: Heidelberg, Netherlands, 2007; pp. 267–278. [Google Scholar]
- Cyprus Tourism Organisation Homepage. Available online: http://www.visitcyprus.com (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Guidelines for Meeting the Cyprus Tourism Organization Minimum Standards for Sustainability in Hotel Establishments. Available online: http://www.visitcyprus.com/media/b2b_en/Tourism_Services/Guidelines_Sustainablity_hotels_EN.pdf (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Savvides, L.; Dorfinger, G.; Alexandrou, K. Re-Assessment of the Water Resources and Demand of the Island of Cyprus: The Assessment of Water Demand of Cyprus; TCP/CYP/8921; Water Development Department: Nicosia, Cyprus, October 2001. [Google Scholar]
- Karatas, E.; Kuhlwein, E. Climate Change—A Challenge for Europe and Cyprus; tredition GmbH: Hamburg, Germany, 2010. [Google Scholar]
- Fayssal, N. The Impact of Virtual Water Trading on the Water and Agricultural Policies in the Semi-Arid Regions; The Case Study of Cyprus; ATINER’s Conference Paper Series AGR2013-0769; Athens Institute for Education and Research: Athens, Greece, 18 December 2013. [Google Scholar]
- Tsiourtis, N.; Photiou, C.; Hajispyrou, E.; Pashardes, P.; Rostandi, N. Chapter 15: Application of the Drought Management Guidelines in Cyprus. Available online: http://www.iamz.ciheam.org/medroplan/guidelines/examples_cyprus_planning.html (accessed on 29 August 2014).
- Cystat. Statistics on Tourism; Cyprus Statistical Service: Nicosia, Cyprus, 2009. [Google Scholar]
- Adaption to Climate Change in the Agricultural Sector, AGRI-2006-G4-05, AEA Energy and Environment and Universidad de Politecninca de Madrid; Report to European Commission Directorate—General for Agriculture and Rural Development, ED05334, Issue Number 1; AEA Energy & Environment: Oxford, UK, December 2007.
- Metochis, C.; Eliades, G. Irrigation systems in Cyprus. In Agricultural Research Institute Review for 2000-01; Agricultural Research Institute: Nicosia, Cyprus, 2002; pp. 101–105. [Google Scholar]
- Allan, J.A. Fortunately there are substitutes for water otherwise our hydropolitical futures would be impossible. In Priorities for Water Resources Allocation and Management; Overseas Development Administration (ODA): London, UK, 1993; pp. 13–26. [Google Scholar]
- Wada, Y.; Beek, L.P.H.; Bierkens, M.F.P. Modelling global water stress of the recent past: On the relative importance of trends in water demand and climate variability. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 2001, 15, 3785–3808. [Google Scholar]
- Zoumides, C.; Zachariadis, T. Irrigation water pricing in southern Europe and Cyprus: The effects of the EU common agricultural policy and the Water Framework Directive. Cyprus Econ. Policy Rev. 2009, 3, 99–122. [Google Scholar]
- Zoumides, C. Incorporating the water footprint into national water management policy. In Presented at Frederick University, Nicosia, Cyprus, 18 March 2010.
- Papasolomontos, A. Appendix 4: Country case study—A framework for the development of a water policy review for Cyprus. In Proceedings of the Second Expert Consultation on National Water Policy Reform in the Near East, Cairo, Egypt, 24–25 November 1997.
- Photiou, C. Wastewater treatment and environment. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Integrated Water Management: Policy Aspects, Nicosia, Cyprus, 19–21 June 2003.
- Hadjigeorgiou, P. Implementation of the Water Framework Directive in Cyprus. In Proceedings of the 4th ECCE Meeting, Larnaca, Cyprus, 17–18 October 2008.
- Omorphos, C. Addressing the challenge of water scarcity in Cyprus. In Proceedings of the International Conference and Exhibition on Global Water Efficiency 2008, Limassol, Cyprus, 27–28 November 2008.
- Kelay, T.; Vloerbergh, I.; Hagegård, K.; Chenoweth, J.; Capelos, T.; Fife-Schaw, C. Consumer Focus Groups; Technology Enabled Universal Access to Safe Water (TECHNEAU): Brussels, Belgium, 2009. [Google Scholar]
- Charalambous, C. Water prices could double by year end. Cyprus Mail Online Newspaper, 12 March 2010. [Google Scholar]
- Schleich, J.; Hillenbrand, T. Determinants of residential water demand in Germany. Ecol. Econ. 2009, 68, 1756–1769. [Google Scholar]
- Zachariadis, T. Climate change in Cyprus: Impacts and adaptation policies. Cyprus Econ. Policy Rev. 2012, 6, 21–37. [Google Scholar]
- Fifth National Report to the United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity: Cyprus; Ministry of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environment of Republic of Cyprus: Nicosia, Cyprus, August 2014.
- Nudge technology gently persuades residents to go greener. Available online: http://www.open.ac.uk/about/showcase/article/nudge-technology-gently-persuades-residents-go-greener (accessed on 1 September 2014).
- Polycarpou, A.; Zachariadis, T. An econometric analysis of residential water demand in Cyprus. Water Resour. Manag. 2013, 27, 309–317. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Chenoweth, J.; Hadjikakou, M.; Zoumides, C. Quantifying the human impact on water resources: A critical. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss. 2013, 10, 9389–9433. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- He, X. Mainstreaming adaptation in integrated water resources management in China: From challenge to change. Water Policy 2013, 15, 895–921. [Google Scholar]
- Stern, N. Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change; HM Treasury: London, UK, 2006. [Google Scholar]
- Stedman, L. Water-Scarce Cyprus leads discussions on utility management and pricing. Water Util. Manag. Int. 2012, 7, 18–20. [Google Scholar]
- Hejazi, M.I.; Edmonds, J.; Clarke, L.; Kyle, P.; Davies, E.; Chaturvedi, V.; Wise, M.; Patel, P.; Eom, J.; Calvin, K. Integrated assessment of global water scarcity over the 21st century—Part 1: Global water supply and demand under extreme radiative forcing. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. Discuss. 2013, 10, 3327–3381. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Schuerhoff, M.; Weikard, H.P.; Zetland, D. The life and death of the Dutch groundwater tax. Water Policy 2012, 15, 1064–1077. [Google Scholar]
- Hunt, J.C.R.; Timoshkina, Y.; Baudains, P.J.; Bishop, S.R. System dynamics applied to operations and policy decisions. Eur. Rev. 2012, 20, 324–342. [Google Scholar]
- Pérez-Blanco, C.D.; Gómez, C.M. Insuring water: A practical risk management option in water scarce and drought-prone regions? Water Policy 2014, 16, 244–263. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Helbing, D. Understanding Complex systems. In Social Self-Organization; Springer-Verlag: Berlin, Germany, 2012. [Google Scholar]
- Kazeli, H.; Keravnou, E.; Christofides, T.C. An intelligent hybrid decision support system for the management of water resources. Int. J. Pattern Recognit. Artif. Intell. 2003, 17, 837–862. [Google Scholar]
© 2014 by the authors; licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).