The Shifting Risk of Homelessness among Persons with a Disability: Insights from a National Policy Intervention
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
2. Materials and Methods
2.1. The Data Set
2.2. Measuring Disability
2.3. The Index of Relative Homelessness Risk
3.1. Pre-NDIS and 2017–18 Index of Relative Homelessness Risk
3.2. The Index of Relative Homelessness Risk by Disability Type
Conflicts of Interest
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2019) 4430.0-Disability, Ageing and Carers, Australia: Summary of Findings. 2018. Available online: https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/Latestproducts/4430.0Main%20Features12018?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=4430.0&issue=2018&num=&view= (accessed on 16 June 2020).
- Homelessness Australia. Homelessness and Disability. 2016. Available online: https://www.homelessnessaustralia.org.au/sites/homelessnessaus/files/2017-07/Homelessness%20and%20disability_0.pdf (accessed on 8 July 2020).
- Australian Institute of Health of Welfare. People with Disability in Australia: In brief. 2019. Available online: https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/disability/people-with-disability-in-australia-in-brief/contents/how-many-receive-housing-assistance (accessed on 8 July 2020).
- Beer, A.; Baker, E.; Lester, L.; Daniel, L. The Relative Risk of Homelessness among Persons with a Disability: New Methods and Policy Insights. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16, 4304. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed][Green Version]
- National Disability Insurance Agency. Overview of the NDIS Operational Guideline-about the NDIS. 2020. Available online: https://www.ndis.gov.au/about-us/operational-guidelines/overview-ndis-operational-guideline/overview-ndis-operational-guideline-about-ndis (accessed on 13 July 2020).
- Productivity Commission. Disability Care and Support; Final Report; Productivity Commission: Canberra, Australia, 2011; Volume 1. [Google Scholar]
- Hinton, T. My Life as a Budget Item: Disability, Budget Priorities and Poverty in Tasmania; Anglicare Tasmania: Hobart, Australia, 2006. [Google Scholar]
- Beer, A.; Flanagan, K.; Verdouw, J.; Lowies, B.; Hemphill, L.; Zappia, G. Understanding Specialist Disability Accommodation Funding; AHURI Final Report 310; Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Limited: Melbourne, Australia, 2019. [Google Scholar]
- Ability SDA, Access Housing, Australian Federation of Disability Organisations, Bank Australia, BHC, Carers Australia VIC and Housing Choices Australia. Joint Submission: Review of the NDIS SDA Pricing and Payments Framework. 2018. Available online: https://www.summerfoundation.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Joint-Submission-jun-2018-final.pdf (accessed on 27 November 2018).
- Wilkins, R.; Laß, I.; Butterworth, P.; Vera-Toscano, E. The Household, Income and Labour Dynamics in Australia Survey: Selected Findings from Waves 1 to 17; Melbourne Institute, Applied Economic & Social Research, University of Melbourne: Melbourne, Australia, 2009. [Google Scholar]
- Mallett, S.; Bentley, R.; Baker, E.; Mason, K.; Keys, D.; Kolar, V.; Krnjacki, L. Precarious housing and health inequalities: What are the links? In VicHealth Research Report; 2011. Available online: https://www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/~/media/resourcecentre/publicationsandresources/health%20inequalities/precarious%20housing/precarious%20housing_summary%20report_web.pdf?la=en#:~:text=%E2%80%A2-,the%20relationship%20between%20health%20and%20precarious%20housing%20is%20graded.,living%20in%20precarious%20housing%20increases.&text=%E2%80%A2-,Poor%20health%20can%20lead%20to%20precarious%20housing.,to%20be%20in%20precarious%20housing (accessed on 7 September 2020).
- Beer, A.; Baker, E.; Mallett, S.; Batterham, D.; Pate, A.; Lester, L. Addressing Homelessness Amongst Persons with a Disability: Identifying and Enacting Best Practice. 2012. Available online: https://melbourneinstitute.unimelb.edu.au/assets/documents/hilda-bibliography/other-publications/2012/Beer_etal_Homelessness-and-Disability-FINAL-REPORT-2-2.pdf (accessed on 13 July 2020).
- Batterham, D. Defining “at risk of homelessness”: Reconnecting causes, mechanisms and risk. Hous. Theory Soc. 2019, 36, 1–24. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Heerde, J.A.; Hemphill, S.A. Associations between individual-level characteristics and exposure to physically violent behavior among young people experiencing homelessness: A meta-analysis. Aggress. Violent Behav. 2019, 47, 46–57. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Amato, S.; Nobay, F.; Amato, D.P.; Abar, B.; Adler, D. Sick and unsheltered: Homelessness as a major risk factor for emergency care utilization. Am. J. Emerg. Med. 2019, 37, 415–420. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Perry, E.; Waters, R.; Buchanan, A. Experiences of National Disability Insurance Scheme planning from the perspective of adults with intellectual disability. Aust. J. Soc. Issues 2019, 54, 210–223. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Cortese, C.; Truscott, F.; Nikidehaghani, M.; Chapple, S. Hard-to-reach: The NDIS, disability, and socio-economic disadvantage. Disabil. Soc. 2020, 1–21. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- National Disability Insurance Agency. NDIS, Participant Numbers by Diagnosis Possible Values and Rules. 2020. Available online: https://data.ndis.gov.au/media/2205/download (accessed on 20 July 2020).
- Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities reviews report of Australia. 2019. Available online: https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=24989&LangID=E (accessed on 27 July 2020).
|IRHR Components||HILDA Variables|
|Cash flow||This variable is a count, at each wave, of the number of cash flow problems that are reported (from a possible 7 in HILDA)|
|Number of residential moves||A cumulative sum of the number of moves undertaken in the previous wave, the count at wave 1 is zero|
|Evictions||Variable signifying if the individual was evicted from their last accommodation by the landlord|
|Low income||Deciles of household income (gross annual income), reverse coded|
|Housing costs||This variable is constructed using the values for mortgage and rent payments and is structured as deciles of housing cost|
© 2020 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Share and Cite
Beer, A.; Daniel, L.; Baker, E.; Lester, L. The Shifting Risk of Homelessness among Persons with a Disability: Insights from a National Policy Intervention. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2020, 17, 6512. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17186512
Beer A, Daniel L, Baker E, Lester L. The Shifting Risk of Homelessness among Persons with a Disability: Insights from a National Policy Intervention. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2020; 17(18):6512. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17186512Chicago/Turabian Style
Beer, Andrew, Lyrian Daniel, Emma Baker, and Laurence Lester. 2020. "The Shifting Risk of Homelessness among Persons with a Disability: Insights from a National Policy Intervention" International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 17, no. 18: 6512. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17186512