Conflicts of Interest
- Morgan, R.K. Environmental impact assessment: The state of the art. Impact Assess. Proj. Apprais. 2012, 30, 5–14. [Google Scholar]
- Cashmore, M. The role of science in environmental impact assessment: Process and procedure versus purpose in the development of theory. Environ. Impact Assess. Rev. 2004, 24, 403–426. [Google Scholar]
- Abah, S.O. HIA practices in Nigeria. Impact Assess. Proj. Apprais. 2012, 30, 207–213. [Google Scholar]
- Steinemann, A. Rethinking human health impact assessment. Environ. Impact Assess. Rev. 2000, 20, 627–645. [Google Scholar]
- Bhatia, R.; Wernham, A. Integrating human health into environmental impact assessment: An unrealised opportunity for environmental health and justice. Environ. Health Perspect. 2008, 116, 991–1000. [Google Scholar]
- International Council on Mining and Minerals. Mining’s Contribution to Sustainable Development: October 2012; International Council on Mining and Minerals: London, UK, 2012. [Google Scholar]
- Ernst and Young. Mining in Emerging Economies: Sharing the Spoils. 2013. Available online: http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/Mining_in_Emerging_Economies/$FILE/EY-Mining-in-Emerging-Economies.pdf (accessed on 19 January 2015).
- Ernst and Young. Mining in Rapid Growth Economies. 2013. Available online: http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/EY_-_Mining_in_rapid-growth_economies/$FILE/EY-Mining-in-rapid-growth-economies.pdf (accessed on 19 January 2015).
- Stephens, C.; Ahern, M. Worker and Community Health Impacts Related to Mining Operations Internationally: A Rapid Review of the Literature; International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED), World Business Council for Sustainable Development, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine: London, UK, 2001. [Google Scholar]
- Clift, S.; Anemona, A.; Watson-Jones, D.; Kanga, Z.; Ndeki, L.; Changalucha, J.; Gavyole, A.; Ross, D. Variations of HIV and STI prevalences within communities neighbouring new goldmines in Tanzania: Importance for intervention design. Sex. Transm. Infect. 2003, 79, 307–312. [Google Scholar]
- Warfield, K.L.; Deal, E.M.; Bavari, S. Filovirus infections. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 2009, 234, 1130–1139. [Google Scholar]
- Colagiuri, R.; Cochrane, J.; Girgis, S.; Emissions, B.Z. Health and Social Harms of Coal Mining in Local Communities: Beyond Zero Emissions; Health and Sustainability Unit, The Boden Institute of Nutrition, Exercise and Eating Disorders, The University of Sydney: Sydney, Australia, 2012. [Google Scholar]
- Caravanos, J.; Ericson, B.; Ponce-Canchihuamán, J.; Hanrahan, D.; Block, M.; Susilorini, B.; Fuller, R. Rapid assessment of environmental health risks posed by mining operations in low- and middle-income countries: Selected case studies. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 2013, 20, 7711–7718. [Google Scholar]
- The Equator Principles Association. The Equator Principles III. 2012. Available online: http://www.equator-principles.com/index.php/ep3 (accessed on 19 January 2015).
- International Finance Corporation. General EHS Guidelines: Community Health Safety and Security; International Finance Corporation, World Bank Group: Washington, DC, USA, 2012. [Google Scholar]
- International Council on Mining and Minerals. Health Impact Assessment 2010. Available online: http://www.icmm.com/page/84142/our-work/projects/articles/health-impact-assessment-hia (accessed on 19 January 2015).
- International Petroleum Industry Environmental Conservation Association (IPIECA). A Guide to Health Impact Assessments in the Oil and Gas Industry. 2005. Available online: http://www.ipieca.org/publication/health-impact-assessments (accessed on 19 January 2015).
- Winkler, M.S.; Krieger, G.R.; Divall, M.J.; Cissé, G.; Wielga, M.; Singer, B.H.; Tanner, M.; Utzinger, J. Untapped potential of health impact assessment. Bull. World Health Organ. 2013, 91, 298–305. [Google Scholar]
- Viliani, F.; Clarke, E. Realities and opportunities for HIA in Africa. In Integrating Health Impact Assessment into the Policy Process: Lessons and Experiences from around the World Oxford; O’Mullane, M., Ed.; Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK, 2013. [Google Scholar]
- Hengpraprom, S.; Sithisarankul, P. Developing tools for health impact assessment in environmental impact assessment in Thailand. Acta Med. Okayama. 2011, 65, 123–128. [Google Scholar]
- Lobb, R.; Colditz, G.A. Implementation science and its application to population health. Ann. Rev. Public Health. 2013, 34, 235–251. [Google Scholar]
- Harris, P.J.; Harris, E.; Thompson, S.; Harris-Roxas, B.; Kemp, L. Human health and wellbeing in environmental impact assessment in New South Wales, Australia: Auditing health impacts within environmental assessments of major projects. Environ. Impact Assess. Rev. 2009, 29, 310–318. [Google Scholar]
- Fehr, R.; Viliani, F.; Martuzzi, M.; Nowacki, J. Health in Impact Assessments. Opportunities Not to Be Missed. WHO Europe, European Association of Public Health and IAIA. Available online: http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/environment-and-health/health-impact-assessment/publications/2014/health-in-impact-assessments-opportunities-not-to-be-missed (accessed on 19 January 2015).
- United Nations. TST Issues Brief: Health and Sustainable Development. Available online: https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/18300406tstissueshealth.pdf (accessed on 19 January 2015).
- Harris, P.; Haigh, F. Including health in Environmental Impact Assessments: Is an institutional approach useful for practice? Impact Assess. Proj. Apprais 2015. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
© 2015 by the authors; licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).