Next Article in Journal
Effect of Hydraulic Retention Time on the Performance of a Compact Moving Bed Biofilm Reactor for Effluent Polishing of Treated Sewage
Previous Article in Journal
Object-Based Multigrained Cascade Forest Method for Wetland Classification Using Sentinel-2 and Radarsat-2 Imagery
Article

A Hybrid Model for Streamflow Forecasting in the Basin of Euphrates

1
Department of Civil Engineering, Istanbul Esenyurt University, Istanbul 34510, Turkey
2
Department of Computer Engineering, Gaziantep University, Gaziantep 27470, Turkey
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editors: Haibo Wang, Xufeng Wang and Yi Song
Water 2022, 14(1), 80; https://doi.org/10.3390/w14010080
Received: 28 November 2021 / Revised: 20 December 2021 / Accepted: 31 December 2021 / Published: 3 January 2022
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Advances in Water Use Efficiency in a Changing Environment)
River flow modeling plays a crucial role in water resource management and ensuring its sustainability. Therefore, in recent years, in addition to the prediction of hydrological processes through modeling, applicable and highly reliable methods have also been used to analyze the sustainability of water resources. Artificial neural networks and deep learning-based hybrid models have been used by scientists in river flow predictions. Therefore, in this study, we propose a hybrid approach, integrating long-short-term memory (LSTM) networks and a genetic algorithm (GA) for streamflow forecasting. The performance of the hybrid model and the benchmark model was taken into account using daily flow data. For this purpose, the daily river flow time series of the Beyderesi-Kılayak flow measurement station (FMS) from September 2000 to June 2019 and the data from Yazıköy from December 2000 to June 2018 were used for flow measurements on the Euphrates River in Turkey. To validate the performance of the model, the first 80% of the data were used for training, and the remaining 20% were used for the testing of the two FMSs. Statistical methods such as linear regression was used during the comparison process to assess the proposed method’s performance and to demonstrate its superior predictive ability. The estimation results of the models were evaluated with RMSE, MAE, MAPE, STD and R2 statistical metrics. The comparison of daily streamflow predictions results revealed that the LSTM-GA model provided promising accuracy results and mainly presented higher performance than the benchmark model and the linear regression model. View Full-Text
Keywords: deep learning; genetic algorithm; recurrent neural network; long-short term memory; streamflow; forecasting deep learning; genetic algorithm; recurrent neural network; long-short term memory; streamflow; forecasting
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Kilinc, H.C.; Haznedar, B. A Hybrid Model for Streamflow Forecasting in the Basin of Euphrates. Water 2022, 14, 80. https://doi.org/10.3390/w14010080

AMA Style

Kilinc HC, Haznedar B. A Hybrid Model for Streamflow Forecasting in the Basin of Euphrates. Water. 2022; 14(1):80. https://doi.org/10.3390/w14010080

Chicago/Turabian Style

Kilinc, Huseyin C., and Bulent Haznedar. 2022. "A Hybrid Model for Streamflow Forecasting in the Basin of Euphrates" Water 14, no. 1: 80. https://doi.org/10.3390/w14010080

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop