Special Issue "Bioactive Carbohydrates and Peptides"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 December 2014)
Dr. Brijesh Tiwari
Department of Food Biosciences, Teagasc Food Research Centre, Ashtown, Dublin 15, Ireland
Fax: +353 (0) 1 8059550
Bioactive compounds are a heterogeneous group of substances found in all foods, thus constituting an important component of the human diet. Consumption of food rich in bioactives has been reported to protect against some degenerative diseases that affect humans. Bioactive carbohydrates and peptides have attracted considerable interest among researchers and consumers due to their biofunctional and technofunctional properties. Extraction, isolation and characterization of bioactive carbohydrates and peptides from new matrices (e.g. marine bioresources), underutilized plants and food processing waste, provide an opportunity to source bioactive carbohydrates and peptides as a functional ingredient.
This Special Issue will focus on various aspects of extraction, isolation, characterization and application of bioactive carbohydrates and peptides from various sources, including novel and existing sources. This Special Issue therefore invites original, unpublished research and review contributions on:
- Biochemical and biofunctional properties of bioactive carbohydrates and peptides.
- Impact of processing and extraction technologies on properties.
- Recent advances in analytical and extraction techniques for bioactive carbohydrates and peptides.
- Novel industrial and nutraceutical applications of bioactive carbohydrates and peptides.
- High throughput screening bioactive carbohydrates and peptides from novel marine bioresources, underutilized plants and food processing waste.
- Structure—functional relationship, biochemical pathway and degradation mechanisms.
Dr. Brijesh Tiwari
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. Papers will be published continuously (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are refereed through a peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. International Journal of Molecular Sciences is an international peer-reviewed Open Access monthly journal published by MDPI.
- bioactive carbohydrates
- bioactive peptides
- marine bio-resources
- extraction technologies
- functional properties and characterization