Special Issue "Sustainability in the Mining, Minerals and Energy Industries"
A special issue of Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 June 2018)
Sustainability has become a key issue, or catch-cry, for many industries globally. However, perhaps with regards to their potential direct impacts and potential for improvement or enhancement of benefits to society, economy, and the environment, the mining, mineral, and energy sectors have one of the most important roles to play. The contributions of these sectors continue to be crucial for the provision of resources and the power to drive society and development. At the same time, there are obvious issues of environmental, social, and economic harm and mismanagement that need to be addressed.
This Special Issue seeks papers considering the sustainability contributions of these sectors from theoretical and practical viewpoints. Case studies, frameworks and evaluations of sustainable development of the industry at various scales would be welcomed.
Some potential themes or topics (though not nearly a comprehensive list), could include:
- New or advanced assessment or evaluation frameworks for sustainability in the sector
- Studies focusing on the contribution of minerals and energy to the SDGs
- Local case studies of innovative practices and technologies
- Comparative studies of approaches to sustainability in the different sectors
- Historical examinations of changing approaches and attitudes (e.g., it has been 15 years since the MMSD report “Breaking New Ground” and the establishment of the ICMM)
- Prospective considerations of resource and technology requirements from these sectors
- Supply chain or life cycle analysis for quantitative sustainability assessment
- Nexus considerations that influence sustainability evaluation or policy in these sectors
Dr. Ben McLellan
Dr. Glen Corder
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- sustainable development
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Social Impact Assessment (SIA)
- resource curse