Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050) is an international and cross-disciplinary scholarly, open access journal of environmental, cultural, economic and social sustainability of human beings, which provides an advanced forum for studies related to sustainability and sustainable development. It publishes reviews, regular research papers, communications and short notes, and there is no restriction on the length of the papers.
Our aim is to encourage scientists to publish their experimental and theoretical research relating to natural sciences, social sciences and humanities in as much detail as possible in order to promote scientific predictions and impact assessments of global change and development. Full experimental and methodical details must be provided so that the results can be reproduced.
There are, in addition, unique features of this journal:
- manuscripts regarding research proposals and research ideas will be particularly welcomed
- electronic files or software regarding the full details of the calculation and experimental procedure, if unable to be published in a normal way, can be deposited as supplementary material
- we also accept manuscripts communicating to a broader audience with regard to research projects financed with public funds
Challenges relating to sustainability
- Air pollution and climate change
- Water pollution and sanitation
- Misuse of land
- Desertification and drought
- Industrial development and energy crisis
- Toxic chemicals and hazardous and radioactive wastes
- Population explosion and urbanization
- Unsustainable patterns of production and consumption
- Abandonment or loss of tradition, racial and national identity, culture, ethical standards, family solidarity, particularly during immigration or large scale foreign cultural influence, and its impact on cultural or social sustainability
- Impact of globalization on local, national and regional sustainability and stability
- Degradation of ecosystems and species, and concomitant risks to human well-being
Socio-economic, scientific and integrated approaches to sustainable development
- Development and realization of national policies and international treaties for sustainable development
- Implementation and monitoring of policies for sustainable development
- Changing consumption and production patterns
- Developments in cultural diversity, tradition, social systems, globalization, immigration and settlement, and their impact on cultural or social sustainability
- Ethical and philosophical aspects of sustainable development
- Education and awareness of sustainability
- Impact of safety, security and disaster management on sustainability
- Health-related aspects of sustainability
- System analysis methods, including life cycle assessment and management
- Sustainable chemistry
- Sustainable utilization of resources such as land, water, atmosphere and other biological resources
- New and renewable sources of energy
- Sustainable energy preservation and regeneration methods
- Land and aquatic ecosystems maintenance and biodiversity preservation
- Quasi-environmental sustainability – short term measures and their long term effects
- Effects of global climate change on development and sustainability
Other topics related to sustainability
- Defining and quantifying sustainability
- Measuring and monitoring sustainability
- Sustainability tools
- Applications of sustainability
- Policies and laws relating to sustainability
- Sustainability science
MDPI Publication Ethics Statement
Sustainability is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). MDPI takes the responsibility to enforce a rigorous peer-review together with strict ethical policies and standards to ensure to add high quality scientific works to the field of scholarly publication. Unfortunately, cases of plagiarism, data falsification, inappropriate authorship credit, and the like, do arise. MDPI takes such publishing ethics issues very seriously and our editors are trained to proceed in such cases with a zero tolerance policy. To verify the originality of content submitted to our journals, we use CrossCheck (powered by iThenticate) to check submissions against previous publications.
Authors and publishers are encouraged to send review copies of their recent related books to the following address. Received books will be listed as Books Received within the journal's News & Announcements section.
Copyright / Open Access
Articles published in Sustainability will be Open-Access articles distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution License. MDPI will insert following note at the end of the published text:
Reprints may be ordered. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to order reprints. Announcements regarding academic activities such as conferences are published for free. Advertisement can be either published or placed on the pertinent website. Contact e-mail address is email@example.com.
Announcement and Advertisement
Reprints may be ordered. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to order reprints.
Announcements regarding academic activities such as conferences are published for free. Advertisement can be either published or placed on the pertinent website. Contact e-mail address is email@example.com.