Special Issue "Analytical Chemistry of Water"
A special issue of Water (ISSN 2073-4441).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 May 2013)
Prof. Dr. Maria Filomena Camões
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry Faculdade de Ciências de Lisboa Universidade de Lisboa C8, Campo Grande, 1749-016 Lisbon, Portugal
Interests: electroanalytical and environmental chemistry: ionic solutions, pH and acidity; potentiometric analysis; ion chromatography; seawater, coastal waters and low ionic strength aqueous solutions; air-water interfaces and exchanges; metrology in analytical chemistry
Water, H2O, the most abundant substance on the Earth’s surface and the only one to be naturally present in all three physical states, solid, liquid and gas, moves continuously through the hydrological cycle and covers more than 70 % of its surface, the reason why the planet is known as the Blue Planet. Water is decisive in terms of climate regulator. Water is the main component of the human body and it is essential for all forms of life. Water is used in almost every industrial process. More than 97% is salty and forms the oceans. The remaining less than 3% is fresh water, but most of it is frozen or, although liquid, it is trapped as ground water. Only 0.014% is readily accessible in lakes, streams and rivers. Water dissolves, to smaller or bigger extent, most substances it contacts with, being often mentioned as a universal solvent. What is usually called “water” is in fact some aqueous mixture, solution or suspension. This makes it difficult to find water with a degree of purity adequate to most uses that Man needs it for. Although drinking water is not necessarily the most demanding use in terms of purity, this is the one people seem to be more sensitive to. The variety and concentration of chemical species in the aquatic systems can be quite diversified, presenting a challenge in terms of both purification strategies and quality control. Water plays an important role in the world economy, its quality being regulated by national and international legislation.
This special issue will compile review articles and recent research focusing on a selection of representative topics pertaining to analytical chemistry of aqueous solutions, some of which are quite emerging issues.
Dr. Maria Filomena Camões
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. Papers will be published continuously (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are refereed through a peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Water is an international peer-reviewed Open Access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Water 2013, 5(3), 1366-1379; doi:10.3390/w5031366
Received: 19 June 2013; in revised form: 19 July 2013 / Accepted: 27 August 2013 / Published: 11 September 2013| Download PDF Full-text (335 KB) | View HTML Full-text | Download XML Full-text
Water 2013, 5(3), 1279-1302; doi:10.3390/w5031279
Received: 19 June 2013; in revised form: 7 August 2013 / Accepted: 14 August 2013 / Published: 3 September 2013| Download PDF Full-text (431 KB) | View HTML Full-text | Download XML Full-text
Review: Food for Thought: A Critical Overview of Current Practical and Conceptual Challenges in Trace Element Analysis in Natural Waters
Water 2013, 5(3), 1152-1171; doi:10.3390/w5031152
Received: 15 May 2013; in revised form: 14 July 2013 / Accepted: 15 July 2013 / Published: 30 July 2013| Download PDF Full-text (612 KB) | View HTML Full-text | Download XML Full-text
Water 2013, 5(2), 767-779; doi:10.3390/w5020767
Received: 8 April 2013; in revised form: 28 May 2013 / Accepted: 31 May 2013 / Published: 13 June 2013| Download PDF Full-text (331 KB) | View HTML Full-text | Download XML Full-text
Water 2013, 5(2), 659-676; doi:10.3390/w5020659
Received: 10 April 2013; in revised form: 14 May 2013 / Accepted: 20 May 2013 / Published: 5 June 2013| Download PDF Full-text (794 KB) | View HTML Full-text | Download XML Full-text
Water 2013, 5(2), 420-442; doi:10.3390/w5020420
Received: 18 February 2013; in revised form: 20 March 2013 / Accepted: 27 March 2013 / Published: 12 April 2013| Download PDF Full-text (782 KB) | View HTML Full-text | Download XML Full-text
Last update: 29 January 2014