Special Issue "Biocides"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 November 2011)
Prof. Dr. Joseph Oliver Falkinham (Website)
Department of Biology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Biocides and disinfectants are widely employed throughout the world and used in a variety of applications including hand sanitization, surface disinfection in food preparation, surface sterilization in hospitals, and the disinfection of a variety of solutions that are used in industry (e.g., metal-recovery fluids). As has been the case with antibiotics, biocide resistance is increasing, and threatens to reduce the applicability of biocides to control contamination. The proposed, open-source, special issue will bring together all current knowledge of biocides and will provide unprecedented access.
It is anticipated that the following topics will be included in the special issue:
- Mechanisms of biocide action
- Mechanisms of biocide resistance
- Measurement of biocide susceptibility
- Identification of biocide targets
- Selection for biocide resistance
- Interaction between biocides
- Effect of growth conditions on biocide susceptibility
Prof. Dr. Joseph Oliver Falkinham
- antimicrobial agents