Special Issue "Energy from the Ocean - Wave and Tidal Energy"
A special issue of Energies (ISSN 1996-1073).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 January 2013)
Prof. Dr. John Ringwood
Centre for Ocean Energy Research (COER), National University of Ireland (NUI) Maynooth, Maynooth, Co. Kildare, Ireland
Phone: +353 1 708 4766
Interests: wave and tidal energy; modeling and control of wave energy devices; energy forecasting; fault diagnostics and prognostics; techno-economic optimisation
While offshore wind is receiving a degree of penetration, with a number of schemes in situ or at the planning stage, wave and tidal (current) energy lags behind, due to a number of technical issues, many of which relate to operation in the marine environment. One of the main issues relates to the immaturity of the wave and tidal industries, however, with little convergence on the design of such devices and the optimal operation modes. This special issue invites papers that cover technological advances and innovations in wave and tidal energy. Topics of interest for this issue include, but are not limited to the following areas:
- Novel device design (ideally to include some preliminary performance results)
- Combined wave/current devices
- Hydrodynamic and full-system modelling of wave and tidal energy systems
- Power systems and grid compliance
- Resource assessment, modelling and forecasting
- Control systems and optimal operational strategies
- Wave and tidal current energy farms – configurations, connection and mooring
- Novel deployment, maintenance and decommissioning strategies
- Economic evaluation and optimisation of wave and tidal energy systems
- Environmental, legislative and social issues
Prof. Dr. John Ringwood
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. Papers will be published continuously (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are refereed through a peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Energies is an international peer-reviewed Open Access monthly journal published by MDPI.