Special Issue "Environmental Management"
A special issue of Administrative Sciences (ISSN 2076-3387).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (15 May 2014)
Environmental management can be defined as the interaction and impact of human societies on the environment. Environmental management aims to ensure that ecosystem services are protected and maintained for future human generations, and to maintain ecosystem integrity through considering ethical, economic, and scientific variables.
In recent years, within the framework of this definition of “environmental management,” academics, technicians, and policy makers have contributed toward the enlargement of the perspectives, and of the fields, that are connected with “environmental management”.
First, we discuss what is known as “Corporate Environmental Management.” Studies included in this area aim to investigate the effects of the adoption of environmental management practices in companies. For example, several studies have discussed the effects of these practices on organizational and process innovations, while other studies have further developed this relationship by observing the subsequent effects of these innovations on firms’ competitiveness. Other authors have assessed the effectiveness of environmental management practices at the firm level; they describe and compare the environmental performances that are achievable through adopting various environmental management tools.
Second, a broad number of academics study environmental management as a theme to be applied at the territorial level. We can list in this area contributions related to the environmental management issues of industrial clusters, Eco-industrial parks, urban areas, etc.
A third perspective involving environmental management is linked to the effects of environmental policies on environmental management at the company level.
The variety of perspectives makes environmental management one of the most challenging fields for academics, and for anyone interested in sustainable development.
In the framework described above, this special issue invites authors to contribute, with quantitative and qualitative papers, in the following fields:
- Environmental management at the firm level, environmental management systems (EMAS, ISO14001), environmental auditing, environmental performance, environmental innovations, environmental management and competitiveness, environmental management and Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs);
- Environmental management in public organizations, environmental management systems in public structures, innovative experiences of Green Public Procurement (GPP);
- Sustainability of products, Product Environmental Footprint (PEF), Organization Environmental Footprint (OEF), Environmental Product Declaration (EPD), Life Cycle Assessment (LCA);
- Sustainable management of territorial areas, cluster approach, environmental management of urban areas, smart cities, supply chain management;
- Integrated pollution prevention and control (IPPC) policy, assessment of IPPC Directive, Best Available Techniques (BAT), Industrial Emissions Directive (IED);
- Industrial ecology, Eco-industrial development, management practices in Eco-industrial Parks.
Dr. Tiberio Daddi
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Administrative Sciences is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 350 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- sustainability management
- environmental policies
- environmental regulation and competitiveness
- industrial ecology
- industrial clusters