Special Issue "Sensor-Based Activity Recognition and Interaction"
A special issue of Informatics (ISSN 2227-9709).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (28 February 2018)
Prof. Dr. Thomas Kirste
Dr. Kristina Yordanova
Ubiquitous systems are becoming an integral part of our everyday lives. Functionality and user experience often depend on accurate sensor-based activity recognition and interaction. Systems aiming to provide users with assistance or to monitor their behavior and condition rely heavily on sensors and the activities and interactions that they can recognize. Providing adequate activity recognition and interaction requires consideration of various interlocked aspects, such as sensors that are capable of capturing relevant behavior, rigorous methods to reason about sensor readings in the context of these behaviors, and effective approaches for assisting and interacting with the users. Each of these aspects is essential and can influence the quality and suitability of the provided service.
We solicit original submissions that contribute novel computer science methods, innovative software solutions, and compelling use cases on any of the following topics:
- sensors, sensor infrastructures, and sensing technologies needed to detect user behaviors and to provide relevant interactions between systems and users;
- data and model-driven methods for intelligent monitoring and user assistance that supports users in everyday settings;
- novel applications and evaluation studies of methods for intelligent monitoring of everyday user behavior and user assistance using sensing technologies;
- intelligent methods for synthesizing assistance and interaction strategies using sensing technologies.
Prof. Dr. Bodo Urban
Dr. Kristina Yordanova
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Informatics is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 350 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Human activity recognition
- Healthcare systems
- Cognitive systems
- Knowledge representation and reasoning
- Expert Systems
- NLP for intelligent systems
- Ontologies for intelligent systems
- Knowledge acquisition for intelligent systems
- Assistive systems in the healthcare and manufacturing
- Novel applications for assessing everyday behavior
- Smart homes
- Behavior monitoring and interpretation
- Human performance measuring
- Interaction techniques
- Intelligent user interfaces
- Input & output modalities
- Wearable computing and wearable sensing
- Context awareness
- Data mining and machine learning for sensor-based intelligent systems
- Signal reconstruction and interpolation
- Innovative wearable sensing technologies
- Machine learning techniques for interpretation of sensor data