Special Issue "Pervasive Simulation for Enhanced Decision Making"
A special issue of Systems (ISSN 2079-8954).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 September 2017)
Theory, Modeling, and Simulation (TMS) play significant roles in almost every aspect of current decision-making challenges. TMS consists of three distinct components: A theory, which can be defined as a set of scientific principles that explains phenomena, modeling, the analytical/numerical applications of theory to solve specific problems, and simulation, which aims to faithfully render the physical problem in the appropriate level of details, so that the critical features emerge organically.
Systems are becoming more complex, more responsive and dynamically adaptive in a shorter timeframe. This new current trend is moving the traditional TMS of decision making systems to a new network-centric, knowledge-based systems of systems TMS paradigm. Thus, TMS of these complex systems necessitates advanced simulation methodologies and tools. In this regard, pervasive simulation technologies may provide the necessary tools to tackle this complexity.
Pervasive simulation integrates and applies the technology developed for cyber physical systems technology, cloud computing, distributed interactive simulation and high performance computing to provide highly available, adaptive and effective simulation platforms. This architecture can be built to encapsulate different simulation resources as fine-grained and/or coarse-grained services so that they can be shared, reused and orchestrated in highly-connected networks. These aspects eventually lead to a new TMS paradigm, in which simulation tools are built upon a potential heterogeneity of hardware or software entities.
The aim of this special issue is to present recent advances on the pervasive role of simulation tools, methodologies and technologies for enabling a more informed and effective online decision making.
All contributions related to the use of pervasive simulation to support decision making in various application areas are welcome. Possible topics of interest are (but are not limited to) the following ones:
- Agent-based Modeling and Simulation
- Bio-Medical and Population Modeling
- Computer Graphics for Simulation
- Cyber Modeling & Simulation, Ranges, and Tools
- DEVS Modeling & Simulation
- Dynamic Data Driven Application Systems
- Emergency Management Simulation
- Grand Challenges in Modeling and Simulation
- Modeling and Simulation as a Service
- Modeling and Simulation based Systems Engineering
- Modeling and Simulation for Cyber Physical Systems
- Modeling and Simulation for Industry 4.0
- Modeling and Simulation for Intelligent, Adaptive and Autonomous Systems
- Modeling and Simulation for Sustainability
- Modeling of 3G, 4G, 5G Networks
- Modeling of Networking and Telecommunication Systems
- Performance Evaluation Applied to Network and Telecommunication Systems
- Performance Validation of Software Systems
- Simulation applied to Security and Safety
- Simulation for Performance Evaluation of Computer Systems
- Simulation in the System Design Flow
- Verification and Validation of Computer Simulation Models
José L. Risco Martín
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Systems is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 350 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.