Special Issue "Geospatial Applications, Tools and Location-Based Services for Education"
A special issue of ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information (ISSN 2220-9964).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 August 2017)
Spatial awareness and spatial literacy are essential competencies, useful for various disciplines; ranging from the traditional science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM), to social sciences and the arts. Thanks to the ongoing advances in geographic information systems and technology—standards, services, APIs, tools—geospatial applications and location-based tools for education are now widely investigated and deployed. This Special Issue solicits original scientific contributions to the design, development, and empirical tests of geospatial applications and tools, and location-based services for use in an educational context.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Models, methods, techniques and tools for geospatial applications and location-based tools for education
- Tools to strengthen geospatial literacy for primary and secondary schools
- Pedagogical approaches supported by geospatial application and location-based tools
- Geogames and location-based games for educational purposes
- Gamification techniques in educational geospatial and location-based applications
- Navigation and wayfinding applications in an educational context, including applications exploiting in- and outdoor positioning for educational purposes
- Development and use of mobile geospatial and location-based tools for educational purposes
- Experiments and empirical evaluations of the usage of geospatial applications in education
- Best practices, guidelines and experiences using geospatial and location-based tools for educational purposes
Dr. Carlos Granell
Dr. Sven Casteleyn
Prof. Dr. Angela Schwering
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- location-based services
- geo-spatial applications and tools
- spatial literacy