A section of Molecules (ISSN 1420-3049).
The Medicinal Chemistry Section of the journal Molecules publishes original research and review articles that increase our understanding of how the chemical structure of bioactive molecules determines their pharmacodynamic, pharmacokinetic, and physicochemical properties, and, hence their therapeutic potential. In particular, this Section mainly invites contributions that report on:
-The design, synthesis, chemical characterization, and biological evaluation of novel compounds against biological targets of therapeutic, diagnostic, or theranostic interest, and/or the assessment of their physicochemical and pharmacokinetic properties.
-The isolation from herbal plants and separate biological characterization of individual bioactive compounds and/or their semi-synthetic derivatives.
-Hit-to-lead projects that lead to a significant optimization of potency, or physicochemical and/or pharmacokinetic properties.
-Computational, molecular biological, and/or structural biological studies that shed light on the structure and function of biological targets of therapeutic, diagnostic, or theranostic interest and on their interaction with known or novel compounds, thereby enabling the rational design of optimized ligands.
-Computational and biological studies of known drugs or their derivatives that address their interaction with novel biological targets for repositioning purposes.
-Novel synthetic, computational, or biological methodologies of relevance in medicinal chemistry.
-Development and application of materials for medicinal chemistry purposes, such as drug delivery and drug targeting.
Manuscripts that report on the biological evaluation of mixtures of compounds, such as plant extracts, or purely pharmacological studies that look deeper into the standard action of well-established drugs will normally not be considered for publication in this Section.
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Can Membrane Transporters Contribute to Drug Discovery? (Deadline: 30 January 2017)
- Cancer Chemoprevention (Deadline: 10 February 2017)
- Cardiotonic Steroids (Deadline: 20 February 2017)
- Chemistry and Pharmacology of Modulators of Oxidative Stress (Deadline: 30 January 2017)
- Curcumin an Example of Pleiotropic Agents—Design, Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of Curcumin Analogues or Curcumin Derivatives (Deadline: 10 June 2017)
- Dendrimers in Medicine (Deadline: 15 July 2017)
- Emerging Drug Discovery Approaches against Infectious Diseases (Deadline: 8 November 2017)
- Frontiers in Antimicrobial Drug Discovery and Design (Deadline: 10 April 2017)
- G-Quadruplex Ligands and Cancer (Deadline: 30 December 2017)
- Kinase Inhibitors (Deadline: 15 July 2017)
- Looking Forward to the Future of Heparin: New Sources, Developments and Applications (Deadline: 31 March 2017)
- Mesoporous Silica in Biomedical Applications (Deadline: 15 June 2017)
- Metal Based Drugs: Opportunities and Challenges (Deadline: 10 July 2017)
- Multicomponent Reaction-Based Synthesis of Bioactive Molecules (Deadline: 28 February 2017)
- Peptide-Based Drugs and Drug Delivery Systems (Deadline: 30 May 2017)
- Polypharmacology and Multitarget Drug Discovery (Deadline: 20 May 2017)
- Selected Papers from the 46th EuroCongress on Drug Synthesis and Analysis (ECDSA-2017) (Deadline: 30 September 2017)
- The Cholinesterases—Structure, Mechanism, Function and Drug Design: The 25th Anniversary of the Solution of the Crystal Structure of Acetylcholinesterase by Joel L. Sussman and Israel Silman (Deadline: 30 June 2017)
Following topical collections within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Antibiotics & Superbugs: New Strategies to Combat Antimicrobial Resistance
- Herbal Medicine Research
- Molecular Docking
- Novel Drug Candidates for Anticancer Therapy: Design, Preliminary Evaluations, and Further Developments
- Poorly Soluble Drugs