A section of Molecules (ISSN 1420-3049).
The Medicinal Chemistry Section of the journal Molecules publishes original research and review articles that increase our understanding of how the chemical structure of bioactive molecules determines their pharmacodynamic, pharmacokinetic, and physicochemical properties, and, hence their therapeutic potential. In particular, this Section mainly invites contributions that report on:
-The design, synthesis, chemical characterization, and biological evaluation of novel compounds against biological targets of therapeutic, diagnostic, or theranostic interest, and/or the assessment of their physicochemical and pharmacokinetic properties.
-The isolation from herbal plants and separate biological characterization of individual bioactive compounds and/or their semi-synthetic derivatives.
-Hit-to-lead projects that lead to a significant optimization of potency, or physicochemical and/or pharmacokinetic properties.
-Computational, molecular biological, and/or structural biological studies that shed light on the structure and function of biological targets of therapeutic, diagnostic, or theranostic interest and on their interaction with known or novel compounds, thereby enabling the rational design of optimized ligands.
-Computational and biological studies of known drugs or their derivatives that address their interaction with novel biological targets for repositioning purposes.
-Novel synthetic, computational, or biological methodologies of relevance in medicinal chemistry.
-Development and application of materials for medicinal chemistry purposes, such as drug delivery and drug targeting.
Manuscripts that report on the biological evaluation of mixtures of compounds, such as plant extracts, or purely pharmacological studies that look deeper into the standard action of well-established drugs will normally not be considered for publication in this Section.
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- 25th Anniversary of the Amyloid Hypothesis and Alzheimer Disease (Deadline: 30 March 2018)
- Advances in Photodynamic Therapy 2018 (Deadline: 30 April 2018)
- Bioactive Compounds for Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes (Deadline: 31 March 2018)
- Bioactive Nucleosides and Nucleotides (Deadline: 31 May 2018)
- Biological Activity of Secondary Metabolites (Deadline: 28 February 2018)
- CADD of Benzimidazole and other Heterocyclic Compounds Targeting GPCRs (Deadline: 15 June 2018)
- Chalcone: A Privileged Structure in Medicinal Chemistry (Deadline: 31 May 2018)
- Chemistry-Based Strategies for Drug Delivery and Targeting (Deadline: 28 February 2018)
- COST CM1307: Targeted Chemotherapy towards Diseases Caused by Endoparasites—Proceedings in Medicinal and Natural Product Chemistry (Deadline: 30 June 2018)
- Cyclodextrin Chemistry 2018 (Deadline: 30 April 2018)
- Dendrimers in Medicine (Deadline: 20 April 2018)
- Directed Drug Design and Molecular Therapy (Deadline: 10 March 2018)
- Focusing on Sulfur in Medicinal Chemistry (Deadline: 20 March 2018)
- Frontiers in Computational Chemistry for Drug Discovery (Deadline: 20 June 2018)
- G-Quadruplex Ligands and Cancer (Deadline: 30 September 2018)
- Gene Delivery (Deadline: 30 May 2018)
- GPCR Mechanism and Drug Design (Deadline: 30 September 2018)
- Hit Generation and Verification for Novel Lead Compounds (Deadline: 30 June 2018)
- Hyaluronic Acid and its Derivatives for Biomedical Applications (Deadline: 30 June 2018)
- Medicinal Plants and Diabetes (Deadline: 30 July 2018)
- Metalloenzyme Inhibitors and Activators (Deadline: 28 February 2018)
- Modulators of Histone Methylation: A Medicinal Chemistry Perspective (Deadline: 1 June 2018)
- Molecular Imaging and Treatment Monitoring of Cancer (Deadline: 10 March 2018)
- Molecular Modeling in Drug Design (Deadline: 31 May 2018)
- Natural Toxins/Molecules (and Derivatives) from Animal Venoms: From Basic Research to Therapeutic Applications (Deadline: 1 October 2018)
- Neuroprotective Agents (Deadline: 1 July 2018)
- New Drug Delivery System (Deadline: 1 March 2018)
- Nutraceuticals and Their Medicinal Importance (Deadline: 30 August 2018)
- Phospholipases and Lipases: Targets for Drug Development (Deadline: 28 February 2018)
- Photothermal Agents in Therapy (Deadline: 30 July 2018)
- Protein-Protein Interactions (Deadline: 30 March 2018)
- Recent Trends on Enzymes Inhibitors and Activators in Drug Research (Deadline: 20 March 2018)
- Self-Assembled Nanomedicine (Deadline: 20 July 2018)
- Sugar Substitutes and Obesity, Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome (Deadline: 31 March 2018)
- Targeted Drug Delivery and Nanocarriers (Deadline: 10 April 2018)
- Targeted Prodrugs 2018 (Deadline: 30 June 2018)
- Transcription Factors as Therapeutic Targets (Deadline: 31 March 2018)
- Xanthones: Themed Issue in Honor of Professor Madalena Pinto on the Occasion of Her 70th Birthday (Deadline: 15 September 2018)
Following topical collections within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Antibiotics & Superbugs: New Strategies to Combat Antimicrobial Resistance
- Herbal Medicine Research
- Molecular Docking
- Novel Drug Candidates for Anticancer Therapy: Design, Preliminary Evaluations, and Further Developments
- Poorly Soluble Drugs
- Poorly Soluble Drugs