A section of Molecules (ISSN 1420-3049).
The Medicinal Chemistry Section of the journal Molecules publishes original research and review articles that increase our understanding of how the chemical structure of bioactive molecules determines their pharmacodynamic, pharmacokinetic, and physicochemical properties, and, hence their therapeutic potential. In particular, this Section mainly invites contributions that report on:
-The design, synthesis, chemical characterization, and biological evaluation of novel compounds against biological targets of therapeutic, diagnostic, or theranostic interest, and/or the assessment of their physicochemical and pharmacokinetic properties.
-The isolation from herbal plants and separate biological characterization of individual bioactive compounds and/or their semi-synthetic derivatives.
-Hit-to-lead projects that lead to a significant optimization of potency, or physicochemical and/or pharmacokinetic properties.
-Computational, molecular biological, and/or structural biological studies that shed light on the structure and function of biological targets of therapeutic, diagnostic, or theranostic interest and on their interaction with known or novel compounds, thereby enabling the rational design of optimized ligands.
-Computational and biological studies of known drugs or their derivatives that address their interaction with novel biological targets for repositioning purposes.
-Novel synthetic, computational, or biological methodologies of relevance in medicinal chemistry.
-Development and application of materials for medicinal chemistry purposes, such as drug delivery and drug targeting.
Manuscripts that report on the biological evaluation of mixtures of compounds, such as plant extracts, or purely pharmacological studies that look deeper into the standard action of well-established drugs will normally not be considered for publication in this Section.
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Advances in Photodynamic Therapy 2018 (Deadline: 30 July 2018)
- Allosteric Modulator (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- Anti-inflammatories against Neurodegenerative Diseases (Deadline: 1 November 2018)
- Application of Computational Methods in Drug Design (Deadline: 15 November 2018)
- Bioactive Nucleosides and Nucleotides (Deadline: 31 October 2018)
- CADD of Benzimidazole and other Heterocyclic Compounds Targeting GPCRs (Deadline: 15 June 2018)
- Chalcone: A Privileged Structure in Medicinal Chemistry (Deadline: 31 May 2018)
- Chemistry and Pharmacology of Modulators of Oxidative Stress 2018 (Deadline: 30 September 2018)
- Chitosan-Based Nanomaterials for Biomedical Applications (Deadline: 15 September 2018)
- COST CM1307: Targeted Chemotherapy towards Diseases Caused by Endoparasites—Proceedings in Medicinal and Natural Product Chemistry (Deadline: 30 June 2018)
- Directed Drug Design and Molecular Therapy (Deadline: 10 July 2018)
- Emerging Topics in (Endo)Cannabinoid Signalling (Deadline: 31 October 2018)
- Fabulous Fluorine in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry (Deadline: 15 December 2018)
- Frontiers in Computational Chemistry for Drug Discovery (Deadline: 20 June 2018)
- G-Quadruplex Ligands and Cancer (Deadline: 30 September 2018)
- Gene Delivery (Deadline: 30 May 2018)
- GPCR Mechanism and Drug Design (Deadline: 30 September 2018)
- Hit Generation and Verification for Novel Lead Compounds (Deadline: 30 June 2018)
- Hyaluronic Acid and its Derivatives for Biomedical Applications (Deadline: 30 June 2018)
- Medicinal Chemistry in Europe (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- Medicinal Plants and Diabetes (Deadline: 30 July 2018)
- Modulators of Histone Methylation: A Medicinal Chemistry Perspective (Deadline: 1 June 2018)
- Molecular Imaging and Treatment Monitoring of Cancer (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Molecular Modeling in Drug Design (Deadline: 31 May 2018)
- Na/K-ATPase-Mediated Signal Transduction: Emerging Roles in Biology and Prospects as a Therapeutic Target (Deadline: 30 April 2019)
- Natural Toxins/Molecules (and Derivatives) from Animal Venoms: From Basic Research to Therapeutic Applications (Deadline: 1 October 2018)
- Neuroprotective Agents (Deadline: 1 July 2018)
- New Trends in Production and Applications of Metal Radionuclides for Nuclear Medicine (Deadline: 30 November 2018)
- Nutraceuticals and Their Medicinal Importance (Deadline: 30 August 2018)
- Photothermal Agents in Therapy (Deadline: 30 July 2018)
- Recent Advances in Anticancer Drugs (Deadline: 31 December 2018)
- Recent Advances in the Development of Antiviral Agents (Deadline: 15 August 2018)
- Self-Assembled Nanomedicine (Deadline: 20 July 2018)
- Targeted Prodrugs 2018 (Deadline: 30 June 2018)
- Transcription Factors as Therapeutic Targets (Deadline: 30 June 2018)
- Xanthones: Themed Issue in Honor of Professor Madalena Pinto on the Occasion of Her 70th Birthday (Deadline: 15 September 2018)
Following topical collections within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Antibiotics & Superbugs: New Strategies to Combat Antimicrobial Resistance
- Herbal Medicine Research
- Molecular Docking
- Novel Drug Candidates for Anticancer Therapy: Design, Preliminary Evaluations, and Further Developments
- Poorly Soluble Drugs