Sustainable Agriculture, Food and Wildlife
A section of Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050).
The global population is set to increase to over 10 billion by 2050 and, with economic development, the average wealth of individuals in developing nations is set to rise—this brings with it a set of challenges for agriculture and the food supply chain. To date, the increase in the supply of food to meet global demand has been one of the great success stories of applied research. However, this success has come at the expense of nature; biodiversity is declining at an accelerating pace, rivers, lakes and aquifers are polluted, soils are polluted or being eroded, forests are being converted to grow crops to supply food and energy and greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture nearly equal those from transport. Things cannot continue as they are; future food security will need to focus on the sustainable supply of food, incorporating innovation in technology, supply chains and social science/economics. Nature can, and does, provide ecosystem services to agriculture and these services need to be incorporated into the management and conservation of biodiversity.
This section will offer findings that address the challenge of feeding the global population whilst protecting the planet. Manuscripts describing new research, new syntheses and new theories are welcome.
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Agricultural Trade Modelling (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Agritourism in Mountain Regions (Deadline: 30 March 2019)
- Agroecology: Principles and Application for Efficient and Sustainable Agricultural Production (Deadline: 30 June 2019)
- Circular Economy Approaches and Emerging Business Models Addressing the Food-Energy-Water Nexus (Deadline: 30 September 2019)
- Critical issues on Agri-food System Management: Addressing Complexity in Present and Future Challenges (Deadline: 30 October 2018)
- Management of Community Supported Agriculture (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- More Food or Better Distribution (Deadline: 30 July 2019)
- New Approaches to Fisheries and Aquaculture Sustainability (Deadline: 31 May 2019)
- Sustainable Agricultural Water Management Using a Socio-Technical Approach (Deadline: 15 February 2019)
- Sustainable Crop Production Systems (Deadline: 30 November 2018)
- Sustainable Farm Systems: Transitions in Agrarian Metabolism in the Past and Learning for the Future (Deadline: 30 September 2019)
- Sustainable Forest Management (Deadline: 30 March 2019)
- Sustainable Grazing Systems (Deadline: 30 April 2019)
- Sustainable Methods for Food Waste Valorization (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- Sustainable Urban Agriculture (Deadline: 30 December 2018)
- Sustainable Wildlife Ecology and Conservation (Deadline: 30 August 2018)
- Towards Sustainable Global Food Systems : Conceptual and Policy Analysis of Agriculture, Food and Environment Linkages (Deadline: 30 September 2018)
- Urban Food Deserts: Perspectives from the Global South (Deadline: 31 October 2018)