Special Issue "Responsive Polymer Membranes"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 December 2011)
Dr. Annarosa Gugliuzza
Institute on Membrane Technology—Research National Council (ITM-CNR), c/o University of Calabria, Via P. Bucci, 17C, 87036 Rende (CS), Italy
Fax: +39 984 402103
Interests: responsive membranes; electromembranes; composite membranes; honeycomb membranes; polyelectrolytes; nano assembly; layer-by-layer; wetting properties; membrane transport phenomena; biosensors; labs-on-a-chip; drug-delivery systems; textiles; packaging; gas separation; membrane contactors; catalytic membrane reactors
Responsive polymeric membranes and smart gels are sophisticated systems where permeability valves can be controlled by external triggers through on-off switches. Synthesis and assembly of smart materials represent an attractive issue for the realization of nanodevices that may find application in (bio)sensors, actuators, drug delivery systems, drug discovery, clinical diagnostics, microfluidic systems, (bio)separations, purification, tissue engineering and regenerative medicine.
For coming years, the transit from passive to ultra-smart membranes is expected to bring key advances and innovation in Health, Environment, Food and Textile, yielding the real opportunity to combine efficiency with safety and security.
The category of responsive membranes associates adaptive ability with reactive functions when changing surrounding media and includes flat and hollow-fiber membranes, nanocomposites layers, free-standing hydrogels, micro-capsules, switchable interfaces, core-shell structures.
In all these cases, controlled porosity, texture and chemical composition are coupled with adaptive properties, such as pH-response, ionic-strength-response, thermo-response, light-response, electrical and magnetic-response and molecular-recognition.
Complementary functions, including sensitivity and programmed transport, are expected to be confined in restricted spaces through synergic synthetic methods and processing techniques.
In this respect, this special issue welcomes original papers and reviews that reflect breakthroughs in:
- Synthesis of materials with controlled structure and chemical composition that show selective responsiveness.
- Sophisticated fabrication strategies to build up engineered structures where sensing, biosensing, separation, catalysis, and delivery properties are interplayed on multiple scale lengths.
- Molecular design based on experimental and theoretical studies dedicated to the understanding of ‘on-off valves’ mechanisms.
- Emerging applications including target-molecule delivery, micro-reactors, scaffolds, micro and ultrafiltration, switchable surfaces, active sensors and tissue engineering.
- System integration: working sensing systems, microfluidic and lab-on-a-chip.
Dr. Annarosa Gugliuzza
- sensing membranes
- intelligent materials
- adaptive systems