Animals (ISSN 2076-2615) is an international and interdisciplinary scholarly open access journal. It publishes original research articles, reviews, communications, and short notes that are relevant to any field of study that involves animals, including zoology, ethnozoology, animal science, animal ethics and animal welfare. However, preference will be given to those articles that provide an understanding of animals within a larger context (i.e., the animals' interactions with the outside world, including humans). There is no restriction on the length of the papers. Our aim is to encourage scientists to publish their experimental and theoretical research in as much detail as possible. Full experimental details and/or method of study, must be provided for research articles. Articles submitted that involve subjecting animals to unnecessary pain or suffering will not be accepted, and all articles must be submitted with the necessary ethical approval (please refer to the Ethical Guidelines for more information).
- Physiology and physical structure of animals (e.g., breeding mechanisms, nutritional needs, development etc.) and its relevance to the ecosystem in which they live
- Evolution, phylogeny, genetics taxonomy and biodiversity of animals
Ecology and conservation:
- Protection and restoration of endangered and threatened species
- Abundance and distribution of animals and the relevance to sustainability of the ecosystem
- Predator-prey dynamics and interactions between animals in ecological communities
Animal management and welfare science:
- Animal behavioral and psychological responses to human activity and the environment
- Management of captive and domesticated animals
- Rehabilitation of animals into the wild
Animals and society:
- animal ethics and the morality of their use in human society
- Pest management
- Animal derived food
- Animal diseases and public health
- Ethnobiological and cross-cultural perspectives on animals
Preference will be given to those articles that incorporate interdisciplinary or transdisciplinary research to provide an integrated understanding of animals and their relationships with humans. Standards and guidelines related to animal welfare, or comments/suggestions upon those standards and guidelines are particularly welcome. We wish to support original research that provides a broad understanding of how humans and animals can better coexist in a sustainable and healthy manner.
MDPI Publication Ethics Statement
Animals is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). MDPI takes the responsibility to enforce a rigorous peer-review together with strict ethical policies and standards to ensure to add high quality scientific works to the field of scholarly publication. Unfortunately, cases of plagiarism, data falsification, inappropriate authorship credit, and the like, do arise. MDPI takes such publishing ethics issues very seriously and our editors are trained to proceed in such cases with a zero tolerance policy. To verify the originality of content submitted to our journals, we use iThenticate to check submissions against previous publications. MDPI works with Publons to provide reviewers with credit for their work.
Authors and publishers are encouraged to send review copies of their recent related books to the following address. Received books will be listed as Books Received within the journal's News & Announcements section.
Copyright / Open Access
Articles published in Animals will be Open-Access articles distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The copyright is retained by the author(s). MDPI will insert the following note at the end of the published text:
For further MDPI contacts, see here.
Announcement and Advertisement
MDPI Tongzhou Office, Room 2207, Jincheng Center, No. 21 Cuijingbeili, Tongzhou District, Beijing 101101, China
Fax: +86 10 59011089
For further MDPI contacts, see here.