Next Article in Journal
Shisha Smoking Practices, Use Reasons, Attitudes, Health Effects and Intentions to Quit among Shisha Smokers in Malaysia
Next Article in Special Issue
Environmental Risk Factors in Psoriasis: The Point of View of the Nutritionist
Previous Article in Journal
Association by Spatial Interpolation between Ozone Levels and Lung Function of Residents at an Industrial Complex in South Korea
Article Menu

Export Article

Open AccessEditorial
Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2016, 13(7), 724; doi:10.3390/ijerph13070724

Environment and Health: Not Only Cancer

1
Department of Clinical Medicine and Surgery, University Federico II School of Medicine, Via Pansini 5, Naples 80131, Italy
2
Southern Italy Hospital Institute (IOS), Medicina Futura Research, Naples 80143, Italy
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: Paul B. Tchounwou
Received: 12 July 2016 / Accepted: 12 July 2016 / Published: 19 July 2016
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Environmental Diseases)
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [279 KB, uploaded 19 July 2016]

Abstract

The Hippocratic tradition emphasized environmental causes of diseases and the need for harmony between the individual and the natural environment as the right philosophy to maintain a good health status. Public awareness and scientific attention concerning environmental pollution is usually focused on the consequent increased risk of developing cancer. Air pollution has been recognized by the World Health Organization (WHO) to cause cardiovascular and respiratroy diseases, as well as lung cancer, after acute/chronic exposure to fine particulates (PM2.5 and PM10) even at concentrations which are 50% lower than those accepted as legal limits in many developed countries. An increase of 10 µg/m3 of PM2.5 produces a +4%–6% of overall mortality, a +10% of cardiovascular disease prevalence (arithmyas, acute myocardial infarctions, and heart failure) and a +22% of lung cancer prevalence. In addition to these chronic effects, acute hospitalizations are also affected, especially among susceptible populations such as children and diabetic patients. Water and soil contamination also have an additional detrimental effect on people’s health. Other issues concerning environment contamination and human health include male/female fertility, metabolic and thyroid conditions, but also professional exposures resulting in occupational diseases. Moreover, in the perspective of “gender medicine”, different acute or chronic effects of environmental pollution should be specifically assessed both in men and in women. This special issue on “Environmental Diseases” is aimed at providing a global overview about different threats to human health possibily originating from environmental contamination. View Full-Text
Keywords: environment and health; pollution; cancer; cardiovascular and respiratory diseases; metabolic diseases; thyroid dysfunctions; occupational exposures and diseases environment and health; pollution; cancer; cardiovascular and respiratory diseases; metabolic diseases; thyroid dysfunctions; occupational exposures and diseases
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

SciFeed Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Colao, A.; Muscogiuri, G.; Piscitelli, P. Environment and Health: Not Only Cancer. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2016, 13, 724.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health EISSN 1660-4601 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top