Next Article in Journal
Comparative Analysis of Saponins from Different Phytolaccaceae Species and Their Antiproliferative Activities
Next Article in Special Issue
Therapeutic Delivery of Butyrylcholinesterase by Brain-Wide Viral Gene Transfer to Mice
Previous Article in Journal
Olive Polyphenols and the Metabolic Syndrome
Previous Article in Special Issue
Design, Synthesis and Evaluation of Hesperetin Derivatives as Potential Multifunctional Anti-Alzheimer Agents
Article Menu
Issue 7 (July) cover image

Export Article

Open AccessFeature PaperArticle
Molecules 2017, 22(7), 1083; doi:10.3390/molecules22071083

The C5 Variant of the Butyrylcholinesterase Tetramer Includes a Noncovalently Bound 60 kDa Lamellipodin Fragment

1
Eppley Institute, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68198-5950, USA
2
Hôpital d’Instruction des Armées Bégin-Département des Laboratoires, 69, Avenue de Paris, 94 163 Saint Mandé, France
3
Neuropharmacology Laboratory, Kazan Federal University, 420000 Kazan, Russia
4
CNRS Université Paris Descartes Cognition Action Group UMR 8257, 75006 Paris, France
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Received: 3 June 2017 / Revised: 27 June 2017 / Accepted: 27 June 2017 / Published: 29 June 2017
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [2914 KB, uploaded 29 June 2017]   |  

Abstract

Humans with the C5 genetic variant of butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) have 30–200% higher plasma BChE activity, low body weight, and shorter duration of action of the muscle relaxant succinylcholine. The C5 variant has an extra, slow-moving band of BChE activity on native polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. This band is about 60 kDa larger than wild-type BChE. Umbilical cord BChE in 100% of newborn babies has a C5-like band. Our goal was to identify the unknown, 60 kDa protein in C5. Both wild-type and C5 BChE are under the genetic control of two independent loci, the BCHE gene on Chr 3q26.1 and the RAPH1 (lamellipodin) gene on Chr 2q33. Wild-type BChE tetramers are assembled around a 3 kDa polyproline peptide from lamellipodin. Western blot of boiled C5 and cord BChE showed a positive response with an antibody to the C-terminus of lamellipodin. The C-terminal exon of lamellipodin is about 60 kDa including an N-terminal polyproline. We propose that the unknown protein in C5 and cord BChE is encoded by the last exon of the RAPH1 gene. In 90% of the population, the 60 kDa fragment is shortened to 3 kDa during maturation to adulthood, leaving only 10% of adults with C5 BChE. View Full-Text
Keywords: lamellipodin; RAPH1; butyrylcholinesterase; tetramer; C5 phenotype lamellipodin; RAPH1; butyrylcholinesterase; tetramer; C5 phenotype
Figures

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

SciFeed Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Schopfer, L.M.; Delacour, H.; Masson, P.; Leroy, J.; Krejci, E.; Lockridge, O. The C5 Variant of the Butyrylcholinesterase Tetramer Includes a Noncovalently Bound 60 kDa Lamellipodin Fragment. Molecules 2017, 22, 1083.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]

Molecules EISSN 1420-3049 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top