Genealogy is an international, peer-reviewed, open access journal (free for readers). The journal aims to reflect the transdisciplinary scope of contemporary genealogical research and theory, and to serve as a forum for new directions in genealogy studies across the natural sciences, social sciences and humanities. The journal will publish scholarship pertaining to: the genealogical documentation and analysis of lineage; the sociocultural analysis of genealogical narratives; the use of genealogical epistemologies to examine social discourses and institutions; methodological and theoretical innovations in genealogy studies; and research and theory on the intersections of genetic and socially constructed genealogies.
- Family history, family trees, family relationships, family medical histories
- Ancestry, kinship and descent, surnames (patronymics)
- Sociocultural/linguistic construction of gender/sexuality, class, race and ethnic identities
- Religious identities and belief systems
- Genetic genealogy; DNA research
- Science & cultural studies (interactions of genetic genealogy and genealogical narratives and their transformation by developments in scientific research and technology)
- Migration/immigration studies
- Mental health and illness; medical science; sociology/anthropology of medicine
- Law/policy and the state
- Philosophy of science (including theories/epistemologies of genealogy, genealogies of scientific knowledge, genealogy and evolutionary theory)
- Methodological innovations: GEDCOM (genealogical data communication); spatial analysis of genealogical data; web-based research tools; applications of historical-longitudinal methodologies; semiotic analysis, etc.
MDPI Publication Ethics Statement
Genealogy is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). MDPI takes the responsibility to enforce a rigorous peer-review together with strict ethical policies and standards to ensure to add high quality scientific works to the field of scholarly publication. Unfortunately, cases of plagiarism, data falsification, inappropriate authorship credit, and the like, do arise. MDPI takes such publishing ethics issues very seriously and our editors are trained to proceed in such cases with a zero tolerance policy. To verify the originality of content submitted to our journals, we use iThenticate to check submissions against previous publications. MDPI works with Publons to provide reviewers with credit for their work.
Authors and publishers are encouraged to send review copies of their recent related books to the following address. Received books will be listed as Books Received within the journal's News & Announcements section.
Copyright / Open Access
Articles published in Genealogy will be Open-Access articles distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The copyright is retained by the author(s). MDPI will insert the following note at the end of the published text:
MDPI Tongzhou Office, Room 2207, Jincheng Center, No. 21 Cuijingbeili, Tongzhou District, Beijing 101101, China
Tel. +86 10 81521170; Fax: +86 10 81521170
For further MDPI contacts, see here.