An Ingested Orthodontic Wire Fragment: A Case Report
AbstractAccidental ingestion or inhalation of foreign bodies has been widely documented, including incidents which occur whilst undertaking dental treatment. Most ingested objects pass through the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) spontaneously, but approximately 10%–20% need to be removed endoscopically and 1% require surgery. This case reports a complication arising from the accidental loss of an archwire fragment during maxillary archwire placement. It describes the immediate and subsequent management, including the use of radiographs to track the passage of the fragment through the gastro-intestinal tract. This case stresses the vigilance that dentists must take to prevent inhalation or ingestion of foreign bodies and the consequences of time-delays when management decisions are needed. View Full-Text
Scifeed alert for new publicationsNever miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
- Get alerts for new papers matching your research
- Find out the new papers from selected authors
- Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
- Define your Scifeed now
Puryer, J.; McNamara, C.; Sandy, J.; Ireland, T. An Ingested Orthodontic Wire Fragment: A Case Report. Dent. J. 2016, 4, 24.
Puryer J, McNamara C, Sandy J, Ireland T. An Ingested Orthodontic Wire Fragment: A Case Report. Dentistry Journal. 2016; 4(3):24.Chicago/Turabian Style
Puryer, James; McNamara, Catherine; Sandy, Jonathan; Ireland, Tony. 2016. "An Ingested Orthodontic Wire Fragment: A Case Report." Dent. J. 4, no. 3: 24.
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.