Next Article in Journal
Wind Resource Quality Affected by High Levels of Renewables
Next Article in Special Issue
The Energy-Water Nexus: Spatially-Resolved Analysis of the Potential for Desalinating Brackish Groundwater by Use of Solar Energy
Previous Article in Journal / Special Issue
Groundwater Quantity and Quality Issues in a Water-Rich Region: Examples from Wisconsin, USA
Article Menu

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Resources 2015, 4(2), 358-377; doi:10.3390/resources4020358

Geochemical Characterization of Groundwater in a Volcanic System

1
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Geological Survey of Japan, 1-1-1 Higashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-8561, Japan
2
Argentina National Scientific and Technical Research Council (CONICET), FCFMyN, Department of Geology, San Luis National University, Ejercito de los Andes 950, San Luis 5700, Argentina
These authors contributed equally to this work.
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: John A. Luczaj
Received: 14 March 2015 / Revised: 29 May 2015 / Accepted: 2 June 2015 / Published: 12 June 2015
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Groundwater Quantity and Quality)
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [550 KB, uploaded 18 June 2015]   |  

Abstract

A geochemical investigation was undertaken at Mt. Etna Volcano to better define groundwater characteristics of its aquifers. Results indicate that the Na–Mg ± Ca–HCO3 ± (SO42− or Cl) type accounts for more than 80% of the groundwater composition in the volcano. The remaining 20% is characterized by elevated Ca2+. Waters along coastal areas are enriched in SO42− or Cl, mainly due to mixing with seawater and anthropogenic effects. The majority of the samples showed values between −4‰ to −9‰ for δ18O and −19‰ to −53‰ for δ2H, suggesting that precipitation is the predominant source of recharge to the aquifers, especially in the west of the study area. The analysis of δ13C and pCO2 shows values 1 to 3 times higher than those expected for waters in equilibrium with the atmosphere, suggesting a partial gas contribution from deep sources. The diffusion of gasses is likely to be controlled by tectonic structures in the volcano. The ascent of deep brines is also reflected in the CO2 enrichment (up to 2.2 bars) and enriched δ2H/δ18O compositions observed in the salt mounts of Paternò. View Full-Text
Keywords: groundwater; geochemistry; water quality; isotopes; Mt. Etna groundwater; geochemistry; water quality; isotopes; Mt. Etna
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

SciFeed Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Bellia, C.; Gallardo, A.H.; Yasuhara, M.; Kazahaya, K. Geochemical Characterization of Groundwater in a Volcanic System. Resources 2015, 4, 358-377.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Resources EISSN 2079-9276 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top