EASN is an open Association, structuring and representing the European Academia in Aviation research related issues. On 06.05.2008, the EASN Association was established by 22 founding members, with the support of the European Commission and several University professors throughout Europe. However, the establishment of EASN goes back to 2002 and is based on two subsequent support actions funded by the Commission.
The long-term goal of the Association is to build up an open, unique European platform in order to structure, support and upgrade the research activities of the European Universities active in Aviation Research as well as to facilitate them to respond to their key role in realizing the European Research Area.
The role of EASN in the European Research Community is:
- To promote, encourage, coordinate and focus joint efforts between Universities, Research Organizations, Industry and SMEs which are active in Europe in the field of aeronautics.
- To support innovative research in general and support European Universities at department and institute level, as well as University research staff to perform aeronautics related research in particular.
- To support the scientific and technological cooperation and human mobility within the area of its cognitive subject and the organization of and the participation to relative activities.
- To consolidate and express a unique European Academia voice on policy related issues and on issues related to the future of Aeronautics research.
- To disseminate knowledge and technological innovation and execute dissemination work through its participation either on its own or within the framework of consortia in national or international projects and research programs related to aerospace.
- To act as a communication platform between the European Aeronautics Academia and the professional Associations of other stakeholders, governmental and state authorities, such as ASD, EREA, SME’s as well as the European Commission, etc.