Next Article in Journal / Special Issue
Effective Single Photodynamic Treatment of ex Vivo Onychomycosis Using a Multifunctional Porphyrin Photosensitizer and Green Light
Previous Article in Journal
Cryptococcus: Shedding New Light on an Inveterate Yeast
Previous Article in Special Issue
Efinaconazole Topical Solution, 10%: Factors Contributing to Onychomycosis Success
Article Menu

Export Article

Open AccessReview
J. Fungi 2015, 1(2), 130-137; doi:10.3390/jof1020130

The Immunologic Response to Trichophyton Rubrum in Lower Extremity Fungal Infections

Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine, 148 N. 8th St., Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: Theodore Rosen
Received: 30 June 2015 / Revised: 30 June 2015 / Accepted: 13 July 2015 / Published: 17 July 2015
(This article belongs to the Special Issue Cutaneous Fungal Diseases)
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [661 KB, uploaded 17 July 2015]

Abstract

Manifestations of Trichophyton rubrum infestations, such as tinea pedis, tinea cruris, and tinea corporis, are among the most common human skin diseases seen throughout the world. About 80% of patients presenting with acute dermatophytosis respond well to topical antifungal treatment. However, the remaining 20% of patients progress into a chronic state of dermatophytosis, which is resistant to antifungal treatment. Therefore, it is necessary to have a better understanding and appreciation for the diverse immune responses to Trichophyton as this is critical for the development of therapeutic strategies for those individuals who suffer from a chronic manifestation of Trichophyton rubrum (T. rubrum) infection. As a result, a comprehensive literature review was conducted to review and discuss previous studies that evaluated the human body’s defense to T. rubrum infections and to understand why and how these fungal infections invade the host defense system. Our research revealed that a cell-mediated immune response is critical in defending the body against T. rubrum. However, this organism has mechanisms that enable it to evade the immune system. Therefore, a more successful treatment for chronic T. rubrum infection would involve targeting the mechanisms of T. rubrum that diminish the immune response, while restoring the cell-mediated immune response. View Full-Text
Keywords: Trichophyton rubrum; dermatophytosis; cell-mediated immune response; toll-like receptor; keratinocyte; macrophage; dendritic cell; fungal infection; tinea pedis Trichophyton rubrum; dermatophytosis; cell-mediated immune response; toll-like receptor; keratinocyte; macrophage; dendritic cell; fungal infection; tinea pedis
This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

SciFeed Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Blutfield, M.S.; Lohre, J.M.; Pawich, D.A.; Vlahovic, T.C. The Immunologic Response to Trichophyton Rubrum in Lower Extremity Fungal Infections. J. Fungi 2015, 1, 130-137.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
J. Fungi EISSN 2309-608X Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top