Next Article in Journal
Syringomyelia in an Adult American Paint Horse
Previous Article in Journal
The Nothoaspis amazoniensis Complete Mitogenome: A Comparative and Phylogenetic Analysis
Article Menu
Issue 2 (June) cover image

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Vet. Sci. 2018, 5(2), 38; https://doi.org/10.3390/vetsci5020038

Enteric Virus Diversity Examined by Molecular Methods in Brazilian Poultry Flocks

1
Department of Pathology, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of São Paulo, São Paulo 05508-270, Brazil
2
School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Central University of Ecuador, Quito EC170521, Ecuador
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Received: 1 February 2018 / Revised: 26 March 2018 / Accepted: 26 March 2018 / Published: 29 March 2018
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [3939 KB, uploaded 3 May 2018]   |  

Abstract

Enteric viruses play an important role in the Brazilian poultry industry due to the economic impact of resulting low yields of broilers, layers, and breeders. The most common enteric viruses affecting commercial flocks in Brazil include Fowl Adenovirus of group I (FAdV-I), Chicken Parvovirus (ChPV), Chicken Astrovirus (CAstV), Avian Nephritis Virus (ANV), Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV), Avian Reovirus (AReo), and Avian Rotavirus (ARtV). The aim of this study was to identify single and multiple infections using data obtained from 270 samples from eleven Brazilian states, corresponding to the period between 2010 and 2017. This was accompanied by an analysis of the relationship between the age of birds, clinical signs, and geographical distribution, using Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and Reverse Transcription-PCR (RT-PCR) techniques. Twenty-five profiles of virus combinations were detected. Single infections were encountered in 86.3% of samples, and multiple infections were present in the remaining 13.7%. Both single and multiple infections affected all kinds of commercial chickens with digestive problems, stunting syndrome, decreases in egg and meat production, increased mortality, and respiratory signs. FAdV-I, ChPV, CAstV, ANV, and ARtV were mostly detected in young broilers, in contrast with IBV, which was detected in hens from one to greater than 51 weeks of age. These results exhibit the complexity of enteric diseases and the still poorly understood role of each pathogen as a unique etiological agent. View Full-Text
Keywords: chicken; enteric virus; fowl adenovirus; astrovirus; avian nephritis virus; infectious bronchitis virus; reovirus; rotavirus chicken; enteric virus; fowl adenovirus; astrovirus; avian nephritis virus; infectious bronchitis virus; reovirus; rotavirus
Figures

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (CC BY 4.0).
SciFeed

Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

De la Torre, D.I.; Nuñez, L.F.; Astolfi-Ferreira, C.S.; Piantino Ferreira, A.J. Enteric Virus Diversity Examined by Molecular Methods in Brazilian Poultry Flocks. Vet. Sci. 2018, 5, 38.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics

1

Comments

[Return to top]
Vet. Sci. EISSN 2306-7381 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top