- freely available
Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2010, 7(1), 1-8; doi:10.3390/ijerph7010001
2. Results and Discussion
2.1. Competition Law Is Applicable to Health Care Players
2.2. Barriers to Effective Competition in the Health Care Market
2.2.1. Competition law presumptions
2.2.2. How does competition law improve quality?
2.2.3. The results from empirical research
2.3. Quality in the Competition Law Analysis
2.3.2. Efficiency as a dimension of quality in competition law
2.3.3. Services of general interest, quality of care and regulation regarding state aid
- Council Regulation 1/2003 of 16 December 2002 on the Implementation of the Rules on Competition Laid Down in Articles 81 and 82 of the Treaty; European Commission: Brussels, Belgium, 2003; p. 61.
- Goyder, DG. EC Competition Law; Oxford University Press: Oxford, UK, 2003; p. 664. [Google Scholar]
- Fornaciari, D; Callens, S; Devroe, W. Mededinging in de gezondheidszorg. Gezondheidsrechtelijke aspecten. NJW 2009, 195, 50–62. [Google Scholar]
- Hyman, D. Improving Healthcare A dose of competition; Springer: Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 2005; p. 430. [Google Scholar]
- Maasdam, YA; van de Meent, GWA. Wet Marktordening Gezondheidszorg; SdU Uitgevers: Den Haag, The Netherlands, 2007; p. 285. [Google Scholar]
- Sage, WM; Hyman, DA; Greenberg, W. Why competition law matters to health care quality. Health Affair 2003, 22, 31–44. [Google Scholar]
- Gaynor, M. What do we know about competition and quality in health care markets. NBER Work Pap 2006, (12301). [Google Scholar]
- Jacobi, JV. Competition Law’s Role in health care quality. Ann. Health L 2002, 11, 45–71. [Google Scholar]
- Cannon, MF; Tanner, MD. Healthy Competition? What’s Holding Back Health Care and How to Free It; Cato Institute: Washington, D.C., USA, 2007; p. 366. [Google Scholar]
- Kessler, D; McClellan, M. Is hospital competition socially wasteful? Quart. J. Econ 2000, 115, 577–615. [Google Scholar]
- Tay, A. Assessing competition in hospital care markets: the importance of accounting for quality differentiation. RAND J. Econ 2003, 34, 786–814. [Google Scholar]
- Gowrisankaran, G; Town, R. Competition, payers and hospital quality. Health Serv. Rese 2003, 38, 1403–1422. [Google Scholar]
- Sage, WM; Hammer, PJ. Competing on quality of care; the need to develop a competition policy for healthcare markets. U. Mich. J.L. Ref. 1999. [Google Scholar]
- Donabedian, A. The Definition of Quality and Approaches to Its Assessment; MI Health Administration Press: Ann Arbor, MI, USA, 1980; p. 176. [Google Scholar]
- Wong, HS; McNamara, P. Provider competition and health care quality: challenges and opportunities for research. Int. J. Health Care Finance Econ 2004, 4, 99–111. [Google Scholar]
- Hyman, D. Five reasons why health care quality research hasn’t affected competition law and policy. Int. J. Health Care Finance Econ 2004, 4, 159–166. [Google Scholar]
- Kauper, TE. The role of quality of health care considerations in antitrust analysis. Law Contemp. Probs 1988, 51, 273–340. [Google Scholar]
- Guidelines on the Applicability of Article 81 (3) of the Treaty; European Commission: Brussels, Belgium, 2004; p. 101.
- Guidelines on the Assessment of Horizontal Mergers under the Council Regulation on the Control of Concentrations between Undertakings; European Commission: Brussels, Belgium, 2004; p. 31.
- Janssen, MCW; Schep, K; Van Sinderen, J. Fusies van ziekenhuizen. Het beoordelingskader van de NMa. Markt. Mededinging 2009, 2, 44–53. [Google Scholar]
- Communication of the Commission. White Paper on Services of General Interest. 2004, p. 375.
- Community framework for State Aid in the Form of Public Service Compensation; European Commission: Brussels, Belgium, 2005; p. 297.
- Decision of the Commission N 542/2004 Introduction of a Risk Equalization System in the Dutch Health Insurance; European Commission: Brussels, Belgium, 2006; p. 108. (See also Sauter, W. Risk equalization in health insurance and the new standard for public service compensation in the context of state aid and services of general economic interest under EU law. TILEC Discussion Paper. DP 2008-042.
© 2010 by the authors; licensee Molecular Diversity Preservation International, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open-access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution license (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/).