Next Article in Journal
Polyphenols in Cocoa and Cocoa Products: Is There a Link between Antioxidant Properties and Health?
Previous Article in Journal
Phytochemical Contents and Antioxidant Capacities of Two Aloe greatheadii var. davyana Extracts
Article Menu

Export Article

Open AccessArticle
Molecules 2008, 13(9), 2181-2189; doi:10.3390/molecules13092181

Phytochemical Analysis of the Essential Oil from Botanically Certified Oleogum Resin of Boswellia sacra (Omani Luban)

Department of Chemistry, College of Science, Sultan Qaboos University, P.O Box 36, Al-Khod 123, Oman
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Received: 27 August 2008 / Revised: 10 September 2008 / Accepted: 10 September 2008 / Published: 16 September 2008
View Full-Text   |   Download PDF [178 KB, uploaded 18 June 2014]   |  


The yield of hydrodistillation of a botanically certified Oleogum Resin of Boswellia sacra essential oil (5.5%); and its chemical constituents were determined. The GC/MS technique was used for the analysis of the oil. Several oil components were identified based upon comparison of their mass spectral data with those of reference compounds published in literature or stored in a computer library. The oil was characterized by the high content of the monoterpenes (34) which constituted 97.3% in which E-β-ocimene and limonene were the major constituents. The remaining 2.7% was accounted for the sesquiterpenes (16) in which the E-caryophyllene was the major constituent. The analysis proved the complete absence of the diterpenes. View Full-Text
Keywords: Essential oil; Boswellia sacra; Monoterpenes; Sesquiterpenes Essential oil; Boswellia sacra; Monoterpenes; Sesquiterpenes

Figure 1

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY 3.0).

Scifeed alert for new publications

Never miss any articles matching your research from any publisher
  • Get alerts for new papers matching your research
  • Find out the new papers from selected authors
  • Updated daily for 49'000+ journals and 6000+ publishers
  • Define your Scifeed now

SciFeed Share & Cite This Article

MDPI and ACS Style

Al-Harrasi, A.; Al-Saidi, S. Phytochemical Analysis of the Essential Oil from Botanically Certified Oleogum Resin of Boswellia sacra (Omani Luban). Molecules 2008, 13, 2181-2189.

Show more citation formats Show less citations formats

Related Articles

Article Metrics

Article Access Statistics



[Return to top]
Molecules EISSN 1420-3049 Published by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland RSS E-Mail Table of Contents Alert
Back to Top